• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Grizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Sap seemed quite well defended and Dennis was well defended by not giving him room to penetrate.

But another reason they lost is: Dennis and THJ just had a really awful shooting night. 
If they hit 3 more threes (would have been 6/15 instad of their combined 3/15) and Dennis additionally makes one more layup and one more wide open midrange shot, which both are shots he normally converts at a high percentage, this would have been a very winnable game.

We can't win a game when none of our three main weapons has a good offensive night,
But that's better than some weeks ago. I now think every of this three guys (Sap, Dennis, THJ) can win a game for us because there is some support by players like Ersan and Prince now. Earlier this season we needed at least two of our main guys to have a very good game to win.

• Like 2

Bad shooting from our two biggest offensive weapons usually will equal an L.

On the plus side that's the first game where I've  really seen how Prince can be a difference maker on both ends of the court. And I loved it. Kawhi like tonight for sure. 

• Like 2

1. First of all, it seems a prevailing opinion on the Hawks is that they go as Dennis and Howard go.  In order for us to win, they both have to be solid-to-good.  If we get that in a playoff series, we'll advance.  If not, we won't.  Seems pretty spot-on to me.

2. If anyone ever sees Muscala lean forward from his bench seat to do anything other than moose-goggles, a breathalizer should be administered to Budz immediately!  He cost us that game.  As soon as he came in the defense just got gashed.  Offensively?  Is there any reason to go into that?

c. Great to see Printz logging minutes and contributing.  He's a typical rookie so there were some mistakes in there.  Unfortunately, since we refused to play him earlier in the season, he hasn't been able to work these mistakes out.  #ThanksBudz

4. TradeBaze especially if his contract gets in the way of re-signing THJ

59 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dwight's being blamed because he allowed several WARMUP jumpers. Both Gasol's may well have been on a practice court the last two games, and then he was just jogging around outside of one stretch like he didn't give two sh**s.

Are you one of Dwight's bitter baby mamas?

15 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Are you one of Dwight's bitter baby mamas?

Nope.

And sorry, but Dwight 100% deserves the bashing now. It was not as warranted before the break, now he is. He's been a pouting, whining BABY since the break.

• Like 1

What's being ignored in this mediocre to bad run since the break is Dwight Howard has regressed to all of his bad tendencies.

If his man isn't inside, he doesn't try on defense.
If he doesn't get the ball at all on offense, he pouts.
If he gets the ball on offense, it throws everyone out of sync.

We're basically right back to where we were in November. We're very much in danger of another 1-10 stretch because of everyone being thrown out of sync if they play the "lets feed Dwight game".

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Dwight's being blamed because he allowed several WARMUP jumpers. Both Gasol's may well have been on a practice court the last two games, and then he was just jogging around outside of one stretch like he didn't give two sh**s.

There were a few times Dwight ran back to the lane when he shouldn't have but IMO if Dennis (or our other "starting" guard who I refuse to acknowledge) would - or even looked to be attempting - to get over or under screens, Dwight wouldn't have to chase guards and leave his man.  How is the help being blamed over the original poor defense?  And I still can't figure out for the life of me why Bud continues to try trapping guards with Dwight...  he does not have the quickness anymore to effect the guard OR recover back to  his man.  Is it going to take all season to figure this out?  Or does Tyrant Bud know but is forcing his principles on player's without the skillset?...  More likely the latter.

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So whem Millsap and Dennis play like crap and Bud puts Muscala in the game and plays him significant minutes for no reason its Howard's fault? Gotcha.

Sorry but he's joined in on that group. Can't look at the stats for him, he gave minimal to no effort last night. His man may have well been on a practice court with how open their jumpers were all night.

3 minutes ago, PlayaPat420 said:

There were a few times Dwight ran back to the lane when he shouldn't have but IMO if Dennis (or our other "starting" guard who I refuse to acknowledge) would - or even looked to be attempting - to get over or under screens, Dwight wouldn't have to chase guards and leave his man.  How is the help being blamed over the original poor defense?  And I still can't figure out for the life of me why Bud continues to try trapping guards with Dwight...  he does not have the quickness anymore to effect the guard OR recover back to  his man.  Is it going to take all season to figure this out?  Or does Tyrant Bud know but is forcing his principles on player's without the skillset?...  More likely the latter.

Bud already tried doing defense that doesn't involve trapping and this team flopped horrendously at doing it.

If this team continued to do non trapping defense, it'd already be a below .500 team. So that isn't the solution.

Edited by Lurker

Oh @Lurker, I try to have your back 'cause you crazy and I like chaos and whatnot, but you go too hard after Dwight/Dennis.  You bounce between the two.  You basically go in on whichever of them has the worse game on a given night. 

As usual when we lose, you can put everybody on the list of "problems".  Last night Howard was down that list so when you highlight him as if EVERYTHING was his fault, it erodes from your credibility.

I think that's what people are having an issue with.  I don't think anyone is saying Howard had a perfect game.

Yes, the perimeter players need to play better defense, but nobody is ever going to be able to fight over screens 100% of the time.

You're basically saying the Hawks need to have the following players to be a good team with Dwight:

PG: Mike Conley
SG: Danny Green
SF: Kawhi Leonard

As no one else will successfully fight over screens most of the time.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Just now, kg01 said:

Oh @Lurker, I try to have your back 'cause you crazy and I like chaos and whatnot, but you go too hard after Dwight/Dennis.  You bounce between the two.  You basically go in on whichever of them has the worse game on a given night. 

As usual when we lose, you can put everybody on the list of "problems".  Last night Howard was down that list so when you highlight him as if EVERYTHING was his fault, it erodes from your credibility.

I think that's what people are having an issue with.  I don't think anyone is saying Howard had a perfect game.

I don't go hard after Dennis at all, it's Kent that I do, but sorry, Dwight is being a whining baby since the break. Don't look at stats for him, look at what happens on court, he was just jogging around and really, on most of the WARM UP jump shots, he wasn't even playing defense, he just had his butt parked in the lane like he didn't care.

Dennis has played like crap on defense but his offense has been much better of late. Dwight on the hand...

That said, this team goes as Tim Hardaway Jr goes. More so than even Sap although Sap is more important 

Edited by NBASupes