• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder, I hope you watched how we need to play from here on out

NBASupes

People aren't going to like hearing this (especially at AJC), but this game stays a massive blowout if Howard continues to play.

I don't know that it'd really matter come playoff time, but the only defensive method that the Hawks have really consistently had success against the Cavs with is to switch everything, and it really does not work well with Howard in. The reason why I don't know that it'd really matter is Bud does not reveal this until the games are almost out of reach. He revealed this after halftime yesterday, and it failed with Howard in and really started to begin to work right when he exited the game, just with the Hawks failing to get baskets on offense.

The Hawks are better off encouraging Cavs post ups then letting them get quality looks at the 3 point line, and after Howard exited the game, they were 2-12 from 3 to end the game, with one make being a sadness heave.

The November game wasn't really the reality of how the Hawks would do with Dwight against the Cavs. This game and March was. Even if the guards did a better job of fighting over screens, they will hemorrhage quality three point looks with Dwight in the game, especially with Tristan not in the game.

I would still pick the Cavs to sweep the Hawks or win 4-1 if a series happened, and the story would likely be very similar to the March game and yesterday. Hawks starters vs Frye+Cavs starters would hemorrhage quality three point looks, the Hawks would get behind by 15-20 at least, then Dwight, maybe even Dennis would leave the game, Bud would reveal the switching defensive idea, and the Hawks would start getting stops and make it respectable. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lets just say I'm gonna hold off on buying that Dennis jersey until next training camp or even Nov. of next year....

duuuuuhhhh duhhhhh du dutttttttt

(J. Dragnet)

That's may be a wise decision. Dennis has far exceeded my expectations as far as nimbers are concerned, but there are some valid concerns there if we're being completely honest. As the PG, you have to make the guys around you better, and I'm not sure Schro's there yet. He has all the tools but something's missing. I hope it's just experience and maturity since this is his first season as THE guy.

I just rewatched the first half in those full game highlights and sorry but both big men did an absolutely awful job in PNR defense. Millsap is a good freelance defender but against stretchy big men, and it doesn't matter who, he's awful at defending them. And we all know that Howard can't defend stretchy big men at all so it doesn't matter getting in on that.

• Like 1

You can tell that the Hawks started switching immediately in the second half, but it was doing comically bad. Irving was getting switches onto Howard and that's easy for him. It's either a quality three point look or a layup for him.

After Howard exited the game, the Cavs still got some quality three point looks but they were a lot less than before.

I don't think Dennis was on Kyrie after that early stretch in the game. Destroyed? Yes. Destroyed for the full game? No.

• Like 1

Schröder needs to learn to how run the offense outside of the pnr.  I think with a better back up he'll have more energy for defensive effort but I don't like his motor defending. 

He was a demon with energy as a back up. Atleast that's how I remember it. The two fringe nba backups don't apply the pressure needed. 

Overall, I like what he brings to the table but he has alot of bad habits.  

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Kimsey said:

Schröder needs to learn to how run the offense outside of the pnr.  I think with a better back up he'll have more energy for defensive effort but I don't like his motor defending. 

He was a demon with energy as a back up. Atleast that's how I remember it. The two fringe nba backups don't apply the pressure needed. 

Overall, I like what he brings to the table but he has alot of bad habits.  

As a backup Dennis played 20 miutes a game and could go balls to the wall on defense, picking up players full court etc. He's now playing 31 minutes a game, he can't pick up full court. As a backup he was  energy off the bench, change of pace etc. Now he has to set the pace. He's struggling balancing his natural ability to score with runnng the team.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As a backup Dennis played 20 miutes a game and could go balls to the wall on defense, picking up players full court etc. He's now playing 31 minutes a game, he can't pick up full court. As a backup he was  energy off the bench, change of pace etc. Now he has to set the pace. He's struggling balancing his natural ability to score with runnng the team.

He's not 'struggling' with balancing his scoring and running the team at all, he's flat out not running the team. He's more primary ball handler/scorer than floor general at this point in his development.  I hope he improves on that because he's more Jason Terry/Reggie Jackson than CP3/Rajon Rondo right now. More experience and learning the nuances of the position will make him an All Star next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He's not 'struggling' with balancing his scoring and running the team at all, he's flat out not running the team. He's more primary ball handler/scorer than floor general at this point in his development.  I hope he improves on that because he's more Jason Terry/Reggie Jackson than CP3/Rajon Rondo right now. More experience and learning the nuances of the position will make him an All Star next season.

Just so you know, this was the 666,666 post in this forum.

You are now the HS devil. :ohmy:

If your coach feels the need to run his team through backups and 2 guards late in games (and all of overtime) instead of his starting PG you got issues man.  I can't think of a great PG in history who would even allow his coach to bench him late without detonating a bomb.  Coaches who truly trust their general will live with any mistakes he may make.  Bud can't live with Dennis', but it's not an indictment of the kid.  Send all complaints to the #Budcox Premature Max Contract Offering Department.

On a side note, @Alex and @Hotlanta1981 are the likely winners for the preseason win prediction.  Apparently there's a method to their madness.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

If your coach feels the need to run his team through backups and 2 guards late in games (and all of overtime) instead of his starting PG you got issues man.  I can't think of a great PG in history who would even allow his coach to bench him late without detonating a bomb.  Coaches who truly trust their general will live with any mistakes he may make.  Bud can't live with Dennis', but it's not an indictment of the kid.  Send all complaints to the #Budcox Premature Max Contract Offering Department.

On a side note, @Alex and @Hotlanta1981 are the likely winners for the preseason win prediction.  Apparently there's a method to their madness.

I  kind of agree but Bud did this with Teague too.   

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Bud did the exact same thing with Teague, not just regular season but in a final playoff elimination game.  And Teague was in year #7.

How many times have you seen a coach pull the starters, insert the bench they makea run and a coach keeps the bench in. This is not a new phenomenon.

37 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I  kind of agree but Bud did this with Teague too.   

Of course he did.  Not a "great" PG tho.  Dude didn't even care.

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bud did the exact same thing with Teague, not just regular season but in a final playoff elimination game.  And Teague was in year #7.

How many times have you seen a coach pull the starters, insert the bench they makea run and a coach keeps the bench in. This is not a new phenomenon.

You can sub 2-5 but the starting PG should never be included in a group that cheerleads for the final 10 minutes, let alone with Malcolm Delaney as an alternative.  Thats if you selected your starting PG wisely.

It may have happened to Rondo and Parker in their heyday a couple times, for various, valid reasons.  Maybe even Lowry when he was shooting like a dog last postseason.  It will never happen to Wall.  Not even Conley.  

I understand it happens every blue moon but is usually followed by a local media shitstorm.  It's ho-hum around these parts because there is so much doubt surrounding Dennis as a starter to begin with.  It's cut and dry: he doesn't move the ball or guard his man up to snuff and I commend Bud for glueing his ass to pine whenever he sees fit.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
On 4/9/2017 at 6:26 PM, Lurker said:

Yes, they made jumpers when they haven't been, but this is actually how Bud wants them to play. He wants the PG to be aggressive both as a scorer and passer.

You say that like it is a throwaway comment.  Bud's offenses have always needed good perimeter shooting to function and we have a bunch of crap shooters.  When they have good games from the perimeter, it does a ton for our offense.  When they clank wide open jumpers, it is hard to overcome.  Lack of shooting is a big item for Budcox to address this offseason.

• Like 3

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

You say that like it is a throwaway comment.  Bud's offenses have always needed good perimeter shooting to function and we have a bunch of crap shooters.  When they have good games from the perimeter, it does a ton for our offense.  When they clank wide open jumpers, it is hard to overcome.  Lack of shooting is a big item for Budcox to address this offseason.

Gif-Exactly.gif