• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

As bad as we played, this is what probably lost the game

Peoriabird

• Moderators

Dennis is letting Gortat stick his leg way out and force him to go under.   Frankly he needs to go through the leg and try to get a call.   These are great screens but borderline legal for sure.   And not to be a jerk but if a big is going to stick his leg way out like that there's another way to discourage him from doing that next time.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Dennis is letting Gortat stick his leg way out and force him to go under.   Frankly he needs to go through the leg and try to get a call.   These are great screens but borderline legal for sure.   And not to be a jerk but if a big is going to stick his leg way out like that there's another way to discourage him from doing that next time.  

K-nut punch. That won't end well for Dennis.

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/4/17/15321794/dennis-Schröder-dwight-howard-pick-and-roll-defense-hawks-vs-wizards

I'm Not sure why this lack of effort on pick and roll defense is allowed but our coach has to find a way to fix it now!

Dennis has to fight harder on the screens.

Dwight needs to step out on the PnR to reroute the offensive player, give Dennis time to get thru the screen.

This has been a problem all season.

I talked about it in the early part of the season. Per the article, you see the difference when Dwight isn't involved in the PnR. It's a Dwight issue, not so much a Bud issue (unless it'll be to bench Dwight).

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Dennis has to fight harder on the screens.

Dwight needs to step out on the PnR to reroute the offensive player, give Dennis time to get thru the screen.

This has been a problem all season.

I talked about it in the early part of the season. Per the article, you see the difference when Dwight isn't involved in the PnR. It's a Dwight issue, not so much a Bud issue (unless it'll be to bench Dwight).

You see it is a Bud issue because those 2 continue to see heavy minutes together.  And it seem as though Bud has accepted this effort level...Pop would not tolerate this kind of effort period!

• Like 3

I decided I'd watch highlights, not those right now and I can't because sbnation messes up on mobile for me.

My opinion? In the half court Dennis had four or five bad defensive plays, mainly in the first half, three or four on Wall, one on Porter. A couple were pretty stupid. Letting Wall take a mid range shot isn't a bad play. Letting Gortat get lobs isn't a bad play. Its preventing corner three point jumpers and devastating dribble drives.

Like it is with Russell, it takes multiple players to guard transition from Wall and multiple players failed yesterday afternoon. Someone needs to man up and get set just outside of the restricted area. Instead you have Millsap letting frustration over the refs take him out of the game, beginning at the end of the second (from what I'm taking, as I didn't see this game).

I cannot deemphasize how important it is that Millsap man up, shut up, and completely outplay Morris for the entire game. Like I have constantly said, the only real difference against previous Washington teams included his abilities and ability to really outplay the guy he was facing and now that Morris is there, this has no longer been the case.Even with Teague, the Hawks would lose the backcourt matchup, probably badly. If Millsap lets stupidity frustrate him, the Hawks would have embarrassing stretches like we saw for the third yesterday.

Man up and shut up, or get out.

• Like 2

It seems to me Bud has told DH8 to concede the J and concentrate on rebounding.   It doesn't look like he is being lazy, this looks like concerted effort.  Greg Anthony and Kenny Smith both pointed this out.   And we DH8 did commit hard we usually missed out on the rebound.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

It seems to me Bud has told DH8 to concede the J and concentrate on rebounding.   It doesn't look like he is being lazy, this looks like concerted effort.  Greg Anthony and Kenny Smith both pointed this out.   And we DH8 did commit hard we usually missed out on the rebound.

So it is a Bud issue!  Can you tell this to the Bud can do no wrong crowd?

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So it is a Bud issue!  Can you tell this to the Bud can do no wrong crowd?

We ain't losin' this series a-cause Gortat hitting jumpers, brosquito.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I'm not saying punch but if he's going to spread that wide on a screen then the collision can get rough for the screener too. 

Eggsactly.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We ain't losin' this series a-cause Gortat hitting jumpers, brosquito.

Eggsactly.

There's no "T" in eggzackly ;)

• Like 2

The thing is, Dwight doesn't have the foot speed to come out and contest. It's not a good situation either way. Either Dwight doesn't come out and you have an open jumper or Dwight does come out and the PG blows past the big for a layup.

You take the open jumper. Along with the Gortat lob. And if you want better, you cut his minutes.

Muscala is weak inside, but he actually does what a big needs to do in modern PNR situations on defense. A big needs to be able to come out and get back quickly in the modern PNR.

Back on the subject, we've seen recently enough, that it should be in y'all's memories the case of a team trying to take away jumpers, with a better team in Cleveland. Guess how that went? Terribly. LeBron and Kyrie had a layup line vs Toronto in the first two games late last spring. Toronto switched back to the idea of helping inside and getting back and guess what? It worked for two games. The reason it actually worked is they were much quicker with their help inside-get back rotations than Atlanta was.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

No he was saying Bud is conceding the jumper to Wall on the P& R

Read my above post but it's an either or situation. Either you let Wall have open jumpers or he blows past Dwight as Dwight doesn't have the foot speed to help and get back on PNR.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

No he was saying Bud is conceding the jumper to Wall on the P& R

So what are you saying, I should've read the whole thread?  Shiiiii

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

The thing is, Dwight doesn't have the foot speed to come out and contest. It's not a good situation either way. Either Dwight doesn't come out and you have an open jumper or Dwight does come out and the PG blows past the big for a layup.

You take the open jumper. Along with the Gortat lob. And if you want better, you cut his minutes.

Muscala is weak inside, but he actually does what a big needs to do in modern PNR situations on defense. A big needs to be able to come out and get back quickly in the modern PnR

What the video tape showed that it happened with combo of Dennis and Howard...Not just with Howard.  The team was o.k. with other players and Howard.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JTB said:

No offense to anyone but if you are going to sit here and blame defense on why we lost I'm going to have to just automatically believe you didn't watch the game.

2nd quarter the Wizards were on a long scoring drought and overall they shot horrible in the 2nd! ....Hawks didn't take advantage! This is all on the offense! If you are on the road and you force a bad shooting quarter you MUST take advantage and PUT UP POINTS!

Yes defense has its issues but it's the least of our worries. Y'all in this thread talking about the pick and roll defense yet turnovers and long scoring droughts are the true problems. YOU CANNOT STOP TALENTED ALL STAR OR STAR PLAYERS for a full 48 minutes...we locked up beal and wall somewhat first half...you have to build your lead there and when they turn up as the game goes on and you have a lead it's all about maintaining at that point.

OUR OFFENSE SUCKS. Fix the offense and this series can be won but that's apparently a hard task no matter who's on the floor for this team.

This is the part that is deflating though.   There is no fixing this offense because we don't have enough talent.   The only thing that can save us is great shooting suddenly appears.   

• Like 1