• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Wizards: GAME 2

lethalweapon3

When Dennis played proper PNR defense in the highlights I saw and this game, he simply got pushed around physically.

He said he can't guard Westbrook even if he's motivated, the same might have to go to Wall too. That's not bad, but it means something radical is going to happen (that I already noted) or this is going to be a quick series.

A quick series sadly might not be a problem. The FO and owner need a wakeup call like Toronto in 2015. Maybe there are more major changes after this one.

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Can't look at the +/- here at all. He was...

1. Not playing the Gortat/Wall PNR on defense well AT ALL.
2. Being beaten fundamentally by Gortat on the boards.

If he's in in the 4th, it probably doesn't matter. He lost through fundamentals on the boards vs Gortat on many key shots.

LOL . . of course not.  When the ( - ) is in Dwight's column, that's all people focus on, including yourself.  But when it's in the ( + ) column, it's "fake stats".

Through 3 quarters, Beal was 6 - 18 FG . . . Wall was 6- 16 FG

In the 4th quarter, Beal was 6 - 9 FG . . Wall was 3 - 4 FG.

Guess who wasn't in the game when they scored a combined 24 points in the 4th and shot 9 - 13 FG?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . of course not.  When the ( - ) is in Dwight's column, that's all people focus on, including yourself.  But when it's in the ( + ) column, it's "fake stats".

Guess who wasn't in the game when they scored a combined 24 points in the 4th and shot 9 - 13 FG?

Let me say this slowly.

When
Howard
Went
Out
They
Started
Running
Different
Plays
Other
Than
PNR

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, JSmooooove said:

I'm sorry but most of the blame goes to our 70 million dollar man. We had a real shot to steal this game and he tries to do it all by himself and turns it over. To the surprise of absolutely nobody. That was the most Baze play of all time. 

Ironically, it reminds me of the type of play your avatar would make.  At least with Smoove, he'd race down on the other end and block the layup attempt, and get the ball back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Ironically, it reminds me of the type of play your avatar would make.  At least with Smoove, he'd race down on the other end and block the layup attempt, and get the ball back.

Sadly I completely agree. Baze is a higher paid, less athletic, worse rebounding, worse defending, arguably even worse offensive player then smoove. And getting paid over twice as much. It's sickening. 

• Like 2

This team could end up with a .500 overall record, but anyone who's followed them know they're considerably worse.  Bud ain't doing them no favors with these wacky rotations and inexplicable DNPs.

I'd rather give Wall credit for vastly improving his overall game, Grunfeld for constructing a near-perfect fitting starting lineup, and Scott Brooks.  He's garnered a lot of criticism over the years but I always thought he was solid.  They're the superior squad, point blank.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Let me say this slowly.

When
Howard
Went
Out
They
Started
Running
Different
Plays
Other
Than
PNR

Which means if Dwight comes back in, they may go back to running PnR.   And that plays to our advantage, because that turns Wall into a midrange shooter, and keeps the ball out of Beal's hands.

When Dwight went out, you saw a plethora of plays going iso, and plays going to the rim.  And they got a few 2nd chance points as well.

That's normally what happens when you try to play small, and your small lineup isn't stout enough defensively to hold up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

This team could end up with a .500 overall record, but anyone who's followed them know they're considerably worse.  Bud ain't doing them no favors with these wacky rotations and inexplicable DNPs.

I'd rather give Wall credit for vastly improving his overall game, Grunfeld for constructing a near-perfect fitting starting lineup, and Scott Brooks.  He's garnered a lot of criticism over the years but I always thought he was solid.  They're the superior squad, point blank.

Some things have happened since the Hawks beat the Wizards two years ago:

-Otto Porter is better

-Scott Brooks is better than Randy Wittman 

-M. Morris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Which means if Dwight comes back in, they may go back to running PnR.   And that plays to our advantage, because that turns Wall into a midrange shooter, and keeps the ball out of Beal's hands.

When Dwight went out, you saw a plethora of plays going iso, and plays going to the rim.  And they got a few 2nd chance points as well.

That's normally what happens when you try to play small, and your small lineup isn't stout enough defensively to hold up.

The issue is that the Hawks can't defend the pick n roll when Howard is in the game, but they can't rebound when he is out of the game. Things aren't working out. I doubt he and Dennis are going to come together either. He has to go.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

31 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The issue is that the Hawks can't defend the pick n roll when Howard is in the game, but they can't rebound when he is out of the game. Things aren't working out. I doubt he and Dennis are going to come together either. He has to go.

I don't think it's possible. Dwight value is down. Traditional centers aren't worth much and Dwight is trash now. It's likely over for us

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't think it's possible. Dwight value is down. Traditional centers aren't worth much and Dwight is trash now. It's likely over for us

I still think someone will take him in his final year. There is always seem team looking for cap relief. But they're likely stuck with him next year.

54 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There's a difference between playing off on PNR and a free throw shot. And a lot of what we saw was the latter.

and....Dwight boarding? He lost badly in the fundamentals of boarding vs Gortat. That same late tap back you saw by Gortat was done at least three times, if not more with Dwight on him and he got calls on Dwight on the defensive end with Dwight on the offensive glass.

Don't spin this. The main difference in that 3rd quarter was both Howard and Wall made Dennis angry on one sequence, and Markieff was in foul trouble.

Dwight has not shown up and I do not expect him to show up. He will be punked this entire series by Gortat.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Facts are problems for these agenda driven folks...they will continue to believe that the defense was far worse with Howard in the game vs Muscala despite the facts. Sounds like a certain press secretary to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Facts are problem for these agenda driven folks...they will continue to believe that the defense was far worse with Howard in the game vs Muscala despite the facts. Sounds like a certain press secretary to me.

Someone being trash is not having an agenda. Stop the bull, I actually know and understand the game. I watched everyone in fairness yesterday including Dwight. He was trash 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Someone being trash is not having an agenda. Stop the bull, I actually know and understand the game. I watched everyone in fairness yesterday including Dwight. He was trash 

The agenda is to not acknowledge Muscala's performance

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Honestly, I think his back is in bad shape. I don't think it has been in good shape for years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The agenda is to not acknowledge Muscala's performance

Muscala played good defense. His issue was he's too small at the 5 and too slow at the 4 but defensively, he was the only big who could play the PnR defensively not named Sap. Also when Dwight out of the lineup while team defense is better, Washington does more ball movement knowing they can't get a lot of open jumpers and do a lot of cutting and iso paint attacks. Washington actually had to run an offense with Moose in the lineup. Moose wasn't good, he never is but he wasn't awful. There wasn't a direct correlation with him being out there. 

Let's be honest. Wall and Beal put the game into their hands more and no one in Atlanta could stop them. They tried to slow them down and did but Atlanta just doesn't have enough offense to make teams lose energy on defense anymore. No more Kyle. No more  a lot of things we had in past years. This offense is bare bones. Teams are game planning for Tim and he's looking awful and exposed. A lot offensively has went wrong and coaching isn't the reason. Personnel is

6 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Honestly, I think his back is in bad shape. I don't think it has been in good shape for years.

I said the same to wifey. She was saying he doesn't look it but he just moves too slow and it's like his mind wants to move but his body doesn't respond

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Muscala played good defense. His issue was he's too small at the 5 and too slow at the 4 but defensively, he was the only big who could play the PnR defensively not named Sap. Also when Dwight out of the lineup while team defense is better, Washington does more ball movement knowing they can't get a lot of open jumpers and do a lot of cutting and iso paint attacks. Washington actually had to run an offense with Moose in the lineup. Moose wasn't good, he never is but he wasn't awful. There wasn't a direct correlation with him being out there. 

Let's be honest. Wall and Beal put the game into their hands more and no one in Atlanta could stop them. They tried to slow them down and did but Atlanta just doesn't have enough offense to make teams lose energy on defense anymore. No more Kyle. No more  a lot of things we had in past years. This offense is bare bones. Teams are game planning for Tim and he's looking awful and exposed. A lot offensively has went wrong and coaching isn't the reason. Personnel is

So how do you explain that -16 again?