• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we really getting punked by Gortat and Smith?

Admin

Haha, trust me I'm yelling at the TV the entire game too.  But at the end of the day I know we aren't winning a ship as constructed.  We don't have anyone nearly as talented as Wall.

That's my dream too, to see ATL win a championship.  Honestly, I'll take it with any one of our teams.

Basically I'm trying to talk Dolfan off the ledge and making myself sound more content than I actually am. :)

Haha... I'm saying IF we get SWEPT AGAIN then I think I would be done. The Whiz may or may not be more talented than us but no I'm wah they should come into Atlanta and win 2 straight. If that happens then to me it's because we aren't wiling to match their intensity. Sorry I just don't accept Jason Smith punking us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Remembering the thirteen win season and even with that being the worst regular season I can ever remember still pulled hard for the Hawks and got excited if for nothing else trying to stay within single digits in the fourth and with those stunning Josh power dunks. Always highs and lows pretty much every season for us but they are either our team or they are not. To me bailing is for Philly fans.

They've been my only team, going on 32 years now. I've never thought of not being a fan until now. I just don't think it's worth supporting a team who don't care enough to play hard. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm expecting a bad blowout loss in either game 3 or game 4.

The Hawks won't ruin my summer I'm thrilled with my Yankees and Dolphins and looking forward to their seasons this year.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

They've been my only team, going on 32 years now. I've never thought of not being a fan until now. I just don't think it's worth supporting a team who don't care enough to play hard. I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm expecting a bad blowout loss in either game 3 or game 4.

The Hawks won't ruin my summer I'm thrilled with my Yankees and Dolphins and looking forward to their seasons this year.

You may not read or think about the Hawks for a little while but you'll come back.  I tried supporting Syracuse as my college basketball team since UGA sucks at basketball every year, and b/c Syracuse has no association or rivalry with UGA in any sport, and they are a decent basketball team every year.  It's just not the same.  Couldn't get into it as much and it's just not the same feeling when they win.  Basically, I am cursed as an Atlanta fan.  At least you have the Yankees to fall back on.  :)

Regardless, I don't think you can bail on a team (especially after 32 years) for players not playing hard.  All teams suffer from that, you can't control an individuals morale.  Hell, Vince Carter dogged it in Toronto for years and those fans didn't bail on the team.  And, I actually don't agree that we aren't playing hard, we've been in both of these games.  And we've struggled shooting the ball all year, this is nothing new.

I just don't see what team you could leave for, there is no way in hell I could ever be a Boston or Cleveland fan, or root for the Warriors who are just hoarding superstars.  Even the Spurs, they've won too much it would be too easy and not even that satisfying if they won.  No other team would be worth it IMO since they aren't winning either.

Edited by AtLaS
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

BTW, Jason Smith is not punking us, he's averaging 4 and 4 in the series with 2 turnovers and 4.5 fouls in 20 minutes.  He's had a few dunks in big moments when we are shading on Wall (obviously) since Wall isn't going to be stopped with one person.

You have an argument with Gortat, but it's due to the fact that we are helping on Wall.  Wall running a PNR is not easy to defend.

• Like 2

You may not read or think about the Hawks for a little while but you'll come back.  I tried supporting Syracuse as my college basketball team since UGA sucks at basketball every year, and b/c Syracuse has no association or rivalry with UGA in any sport, and they are a decent basketball team every year.  It's just not the same.  Couldn't get into it as much and it's just not the same feeling when they win.  Basically, I am cursed as an Atlanta fan.  At least you have the Yankees to fall back on.  :)

Regardless, I don't think you can bail on a team (especially after 32 years) for players not playing hard.  All teams suffer from that, you can't control an individuals morale.  Hell, Vince Carter dogged it in Toronto for years and those fans didn't bail on the team.  And, I actually don't agree that we aren't playing hard, we've been in both of these games.  And we've struggled shooting the ball all year, this is nothing new.

I just don't see what team you could leave for, there is no way in hell I could ever be a Boston or Cleveland fan, or root for the Warriors who are just hoarding superstars.  Even the Spurs, they've won too much it would be too easy and not even that satisfying if they won.  No other team would be worth it IMO since they aren't winning either.

I wouldn't leave to be a fan of another team, I would simply give up on the NBA. I just don't like the direction this team is going, from firing Danny Ferry over pressure from the public, to the team getting embarrassed every year in the playoffs to the insane number of blowout losses to now possibly getting swept in the 1st round. I hope to see something from the Hawks today that will change my mind but I'm nearly certain today will be an ugly loss and that we won't even show up in game 4.

BTW, Jason Smith is not punking us, he's averaging 4 and 4 in the series with 2 turnovers and 4.5 fouls in 20 minutes.  He's had a few dunks in big moments when we are shading on Wall (obviously) since Wall isn't going to be stopped with one person.

You have an argument with Gortat, but it's due to the fact that we are helping on Wall.  Wall running a PNR is not easy to defend.

I didn't mean that he's dominating the series but we are making a guy who's a true scrub and an older scrub at that, look like a difference maker out there. He should be looking more like Moose out there but instead he's pump faking 3's and attempting John Starks from the baseline type dunks over our All-Star frontcourt.

Gortat dominating us isn't about Wall or the PnR. It's about Gortat straight up owning Howard and Dwight can't even be bothered to give a damn. I'm telling you right now if we had Pero or Zaza matching up with Gortat, this series would be tied right now and I would feel a hell of a lot better.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

I didn't mean that he's dominating the series but we are making a guy who's a true scrub and an older scrub at that, look like a difference maker out there. He should be looking more like Moose out there but instead he's pump faking 3's and attempting John Starks from the baseline type dunks over our All-Star frontcourt.

Gortat dominating us isn't about Wall or the PnR. It's about Gortat straight up owning Howard and Dwight can't even be bothered to give a damn. I'm telling you right now if we had Pero or Zaza matching up with Gortat, this series would be tied right now and I would feel a hell of a lot better.

Smith is averaging 4 and 4.  He's not a problem in this series.  He is an athlete though, dude had close to a 40" vertical.  He's going to make some athletic plays, but he's nowhere near a reason we're getting beat in this series.

I'm just going to disagree with you on Pero and Zaza.  They suck.  I'll take Vince Carter half assing it over Mario West playing 110%.  

Regardless, I don't agree that Dwight isn't playing hard.  Just because someone is sucking doesn't mean they aren't trying.  He's not the player or athlete he used to be but he's still 10x better than Zaza or Pero.

3 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Smith is averaging 4 and 4.  He's not a problem in this series.  He is an athlete though, dude had close to a 40" vertical.  He's going to make some athletic plays, but he's nowhere near a reason we're getting beat in this series.

I'm just going to disagree with you on Pero and Zaza.  They suck.  I'll take Vince Carter half assing it over Mario West playing 110%.  

Regardless, I don't agree that Dwight isn't playing hard.  Just because someone is sucking doesn't mean they aren't trying.  He's not the player or athlete he used to be but he's still 10x better than Zaza or Pero.

Dwight is the better player 10X over b.ut I'd take Zaza and Pero over him right now. With them I know what I'll get.

On 4/20/2017 at 10:58 PM, Jody23 said:

Not looking like Hawks' fans are going to have an enjoyable summer.

I am not really even affected by anything after that Super Bowl. I can just laugh at the Braves blowing late inning leads now, and certainly won't be thinking about the Hawks this summer. LOL.

Looked like a totally different team last night. Still not getting Dwight involved enough and still giving up too many offense rebounds or at least offensive players touching rebounds. I really want to see Dwight actively setting screens and rolling to the basket. More of the double screens with he and Sap setting them and creating confusion to get them open. I want to see Dennis looking to do more than get his own points. But the team was much more active and aggressive and it was clear they wanted to win yesterday. I just don't understand why they couldn't play like that in Washington. Will we see that again in game 4? Can they take it on the road and get up 3-2 coming back home to close them out?

• Like 1

Dennis made a good change in what he was doing offensively. The time he decided he wanted to throw Howard a lob instead of just ignoring the idea of making a PNR pass, he didn't go inside. He struggles with that a lot. He stayed outside and let Howard roll before throwing it.

But other than that, it seems like the idea of using the Howard PNR was just scrapped. It might have looked like it was scrapped in the 2nd game, I'm not remembering exactly. Instead we saw the Dennis/Paul PNR with Paul as the playmaker in the middle appear and it might have for the first time since he went down.

I can definitely say that the worm has turned! These monsters of the paint of ours have flat out owned the Whiz the past 2 games and I have to believe they now know who the real beasts are.

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

I can definitely say that the worm has turned! These monsters of the paint of ours have flat out owned the Whiz the past 2 games and I have to believe they now know who the real beasts are.

Owning the pain + defending the 3 point line + limiting turnovers = winning.   

• Like 1