• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dwight Howard

Diesel

• Premium Member

Is it scheme that Dwight Howard never gets passes from Dennis?

Game 4.  Dwight scored 16.  His touches came from 1.  Baze.  2.  Calderon.  3.  Millsap. 

What's the deal?  IS this Bud's scheme or is this something else. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is this another way you are asking if Dennis is the PG of the future and if he can lead us to win a playoff game? If so the answer is YES.

:laugh:You're on to him. But to be honest Jay, Dennis really needs to improve on feeding the post. I understand he's only played with stretch forwards and centers until this season, but getting the ball to the big when he has his man sealed is just fundamental basketball.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hawkman said:

:laugh:You're on to him. But to be honest Jay, Dennis really needs to improve on feeding the post. I understand he's only played with stretch forwards and centers until this season, but getting the ball to the big when he has his man sealed is just fundamental basketball.

Lol. As I've said numerous times.

Dennis also said in an interview that the Wiz deny the PNR pass to the big man when he plays PNR and he and Howard are not playing much PNR anyway.

And that should end the story. Dwight is bad in the post unless you feed it to him in a way in which he just has to go up. The only time getting Dwight ****post touches**** makes sense is when he's with Jose Calderon as he's the only guard on the entire team that understands post feeding. And THEN, you get your coveted wish, @Diesel.

Actually I noticed that when Gortat is in the game, Dennis is much less aggressive going to the basket. Dennis runs the 3 player motion at the top and looks to set up Paul on the block or run off screens and start ball movement on the wing.  When Gortat goes out, Dwight goes out.  Dennis does not fear Jason Smith and the whole defensive scheme/rotation changes. Especially when Jennings comes in. Dennis goes hard to the basket and is doing a better job this series of doing so with his eyes up, focused on passing first (assist numbers show this).

I'm quick to criticize Dennis but I think his play style with Dwight is directly related to Gortat's presence on the floor. He isn't driving in deep with Gortat there.

• Like 2

I don't know about this thread but Diesel vs Supes I mean ummmmm Dwight vs Horford would be a great. I kid I kid.(but it's still in everyone's minds)..

It's not that Dennis is not passing when he comes inside all game, its that he's so nervous about doing it with a non spread lineup that he's not doing it at all and he's pretty much had two distinctive ways of how he's going to play all series:

With mostly starters:

1. Very nervous passing if he drives inside at all.
2. Respects Wall so he's not driving much at all when Wall is on him. He's looking to either shoot jumpers or defer and defer means Millsap gets to touch it, not Howard.
3. Looking to pass from the perimeter if he's not shooting.
4. Will still try to take switches to the basket.

When its much more of a spread lineup and bench players from Washington:

1. Passes more when he drives inside.
2. For some reason Brooks is taking Wall off of Dennis when the bench comes in and putting a bench player on him and that result is Dennis is driving on everyone else. The story is obvious, while he's barking at Wall, Dennis obviously respects him and his ability to turn up defensively.

Dennis+bench until the last game was doing pretty well against Washington.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Is this another way you are asking if Dennis is the PG of the future and if he can lead us to win a playoff game? If so the answer is YES.

I like your persona approach to answering the questions... BUT... the numbers speaks for themselves.  I want to know if this is BUD or if this is Dennis.  Dwight's touches came from Baze, Sap, and Calderon.  NOT ONE from Dennis.   DO you think you can put your agenda down for a second and address the question ... for real...?

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I honestly think Dwight doesn't have a roll in the starting lineup aside from cleanup the glass and defend simply because we have 3 ball dominant players on the court when he's in the game also. It doesn't make sense to force into the post when Sap,THJ,and DS17 can all score consistently and it flows well. 

Consistently??   Let me point to a more fundamental thing.  We may have some scoring on the floor, however, when I see Gortat sealed and D8 with his hand up and Dennis either dribble to the other side of the court or pass away.. I say to myself.. What's the scheme here?

IF D8 becomes a distraction in the post, those other guys will have better shots because the defense will sag. 

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I like your persona approach to answering the questions... BUT... the numbers speaks for themselves.  I want to know if this is BUD or if this is Dennis.  Dwight's touches came from Baze, Sap, and Calderon.  NOT ONE from Dennis.   DO you think you can put your agenda down for a second and address the question ... for real...?

It's a two way tango when it comes to the way he's going to get involved (if he doesn't set screens and dive hard, he's not going to get the ball when its all starters), but really, right now it's as simple as Bud threw his hands up and decided he's not going to run much Dennis-Howard PNR at all and Dennis is not passing if he drives inside at all with the starters because he's nervous about the Wiz denying the PNR pass to big inside.

And before you start, Dennis had 10 turnovers in a game in which Howard was the main big vs Washington. It's obvious he remembers that and is very nervous about it, AND the Dennis-Paul PNR with Paul as the centerfield playmaker has always done better this season than Dennis-Howard.

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Consistently??   Let me point to a more fundamental thing.  We may have some scoring on the floor, however, when I see Gortat sealed and D8 with his hand up and Dennis either dribble to the other side of the court or pass away.. I say to myself.. What's the scheme here?

IF D8 becomes a distraction in the post, those other guys will have better shots because the defense will sag. 

The only guard on the team that actually understands feeding the post well is Jose Calderon. Dennis can't do it, Tim can't do it, and to throw in a forward, Taurean also can't. They actually passed the ball to him more in the post with the last game but when it was the kids on the team, he was not getting it in a position in which it'd actually be good for the team. He was well out there and was bricking every post up when it was kids+Howard/Millsap.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Lurker said:

Dennis also said in an interview that the Wiz deny the PNR pass to the big man when he plays PNR and he and Howard are not playing much PNR anyway.

And that should end the story. Dwight is bad in the post unless you feed it to him in a way in which he just has to go up. The only time getting Dwight ****post touches**** makes sense is when he's with Jose Calderon as he's the only guard on the entire team that understands post feeding. And THEN, you get your coveted wish, @Diesel.

It's not a wish... perse...   Dwight gets touches, opens the floor for everybody to score.  SIMPLE .  Game 4,  7 players with Double Digit scoring.  When that happens, we win. 

Are we about winning anymore or just about seeing our favorite player doing well?

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's not a wish... perse...   Dwight gets touches, opens the floor for everybody to score.  SIMPLE .  Game 4,  7 players with Double Digit scoring.  When that happens, we win. 

Are we about winning anymore or just about seeing our favorite player doing well?

Except it does not. Dwight was not getting "post touches" in that run for the most part, he WAS in the first quarter, guess what, outside of a mismatch, IT FAILED.