• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

2018 and 2019 have strong drafts. We can tank quickly in these seasons

NBASupes

The Hawks can't tank because the owner would go into the red... for a long time. 

venue-section-208-view.jpg

This would be the atmosphere of a RS game.... 6th man section and that is it.

A retool would be better.

We already have 3 starting caliber players (yes, I expect THjr to come back more consistent). 

There are some interesting FC players in the 10-20 range (trade up?) (2017 draft).

We don't have to tank next year because a 7-10 pick is interesting too (Carter/Bonga)

Edited by ISOJOE
  • Like 4

After listening to the exit interviews, it's seems like Sap might be out of the door from Baze's tone and it also seems like Dwight is basically silently asking for a trade. Saying, I came to contend. 

I think it's time to trade Dwight. Of course, Millsap is due to make his own decision. I don't really care to touch on Bazemore. It's not like the value we would get for him is good and he's not a winning player regardless. It is, what it is. 

Tanking to me with this squad is just moving from Sap. This team isn't any good anyway. Just decent and very inconsistent. 

Edited by NBASupes

19 minutes ago, hawkman said:

You're acting like you just came to that conclusion! C'mon man!:laugh:

I was on the keep him, he will tank us by himself campaign but if his goal is only to win a title, Atlanta isn't a good place for him. 

Following the owner's narrative, the team is not in that bad of shape. They have to draft well this upcoming draft with picks 19 and 31. Alot of options at either pick. Nba ready, potential, size, shooters, etc. 

Realistically speaking, this team will be in cap hell for the next 3-4 seasons. 

2 hours ago, Flight said:

I don't trust our teams drafting skills enough to think tanking would even be worth it in honesty. 

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned that, until you just did.  It's not like the Hawks have this stellar history in the draft.  Even the "Great One", Danny Ferry, only hit on one player ( Dennis ).  The rest were scrubs at best or flat out busts.

Since Bazemore exemplifies "The Hawks Way", I don't expect him to be traded, but either he or Howard, or both preferably need to be off the team this summer. I honestly think Howard is probably going to end up demanding to be traded (he's not going to buy that he's not seen as a main offensive option), so maybe you trade him to a hungry, desperate team (Charlotte or New York).

If you end up with both still on the team, I honestly think you have to let Paul Millsap walk and take a year off from seriously trying to get to the playoffs. Draft a big, try to see if you can sign a guy like JaMychal Green, and let whatever is going to happen, happen.

I don't think this team could tank effectively enough to get a decent pick. If they kept Dennis, Timmy, Prince and added filler in the front court they would still be good enough to play themselves out of a top 10 pick. There's no way they would get a top 5 pick.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ATLSmith said:

I don't think this team could tank effectively enough to get a decent pick. If they kept Dennis, Timmy, Prince and added filler in the front court they would still be good enough to play themselves out of a top 10 pick. There's no way they would get a top 5 pick.

Honestly I was about to type a bunch of words to say that you're right. Dennis/Tim leading together is nothing special but it's enough to get you 25-30 wins.

2 hours ago, ATLSmith said:

Depends on what other teams have. Honestly, without Sap, this team is horrendous 

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

After listening to the exit interviews, it's seems like Sap might be out of the door from Baze's tone and it also seems like Dwight is basically silently asking for a trade. Saying, I came to contend. 

I think it's time to trade Dwight. Of course, Millsap is due to make his own decision. I don't really care to touch on Bazemore. It's not like the value we would get for him is good and he's not a winning player regardless. It is, what it is. 

Tanking to me with this squad is just moving from Sap. This team isn't any good anyway. Just decent and very inconsistent. 

Sucks nobody is going to take Dwight. If he's serious about winning, take a buyout. GS could use him next season. 

15 hours ago, Flight said:

I don't trust our teams drafting skills enough to think tanking would even be worth it in honesty. 

I get what you're saying, however, I'd say 'drafting karma' rather than 'drafting skills'.  Wilcox has drafted moderately well so far.

13 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned that, until you just did.  It's not like the Hawks have this stellar history in the draft.  Even the "Great One", Danny Ferry, only hit on one player ( Dennis ).  The rest were scrubs at best or flat out busts.

I'd tie that history to the guys who were making the picks.  We should be fine going forward.

Don't put that evil on us, Ricky Bobby!

Good points made about our wretched draft history. No matter the GM, they seem to always get constipation of the brain whenever draft time rolls around. And while we are in the know in terms of them getting better at it with Schoeder, Prince, and Bembry, try selling the 'rebuild with the draft' story to a general populace who still remembers where they were when the names of Jon Koncak, the Williams' boys (Shelden and Marvin), Josh Childress, and Adam Keefe were being announced as Hawk lottery picks while the rest of the league and opposing teams' fans were laughing their asses off. You don't need Nostradamus or John the Revelator to know the prophecy to that one.

And as far as what the Hawks would do sans Millsap and no adequate replacement, well, I could see things going sideways really quick record-wise. All a team would have to do is play small-ball, which would render Dwight useless, then go after whoever is left on the court. And where would the offense come from? With the exception of Schoeder, no one else currently signed to the roster has the ability to consistently create his own shot. So unless you're telling me that Prince is going to average 18/7 or Bazemore is going to suddenly morph into a left-handed Fat Lever, I don't see anything more than a 30-34 win team. Which might still be too many wins to earn a high-lottery pick...

18 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Depends on what other teams have. Honestly, without Sap, this team is horrendous 

This I can agree with.  I think a lot of what we do this offseason depends on Sap.

If he does in fact go, tanking would be a pretty easy option if we don't add anything else.  We were pretty pathetic without him in the lineup this season.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...