• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Was Trading Korver a Mistake?

Diesel

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Had Korver not been traded, Taurean Prince would still be lagging on the bench with Bembry.   Instead, he got increased minutes and eventually became the starter.  And he played well enough in the final few weeks of the season + the playoffs, to give us some hope for him next season.

Absolutely know who our SF is now and he is going to pay big dividends for us so glad the trade moved Prince's full time starting schedule up. We got a good glimpse.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

So.. you mean.. the #30 overall?

That's a 2nd round talent that you have to pay for 4 years.   Cleveland is laughing.

Cleveland's 2019 pick is 2 seasons away.  Cleveland has cap issues and Lebron will be 2 years older then. My bet is that pick is late teens, early 20's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's a 2nd round talent that you have to pay for 4 years.   Cleveland is laughing.

You know about the team options on 3rd and 4th year? Or did they change that in the new CBA?

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, JTB said:

Same thing you worded what I said differently by using "credible perimeter threats" that can be a threat or shoot 3s so korver can be a 4th or 5th option ....I said korver cannot run a Spurs like system without star players being around him that is true because you're not going to get a team full of 3 point shooters to take the attention off of korver but some 3 point shooters and a few perimeter stars which is the only realistic option you have and sure korver is valuable again.

even if the Hawks had a few more really good 3pt shooter to pair with korver his impact would have been only slightly better. 

To me it goes more into just shooting as someone has to be able to put the ball on the floor....3 or 4 korvers all on the same team in the starting lineup gives you nothing.

I think they are very different things.  He would be very effective in a Spurs like system without stars as long as they had a lineup of credible threats. We had no stars in 2014-15 for goodness sake just a team of #2, 3 & 4 options that were all credible and so capable of punishing people where they shifted their defensive coverage.  A team doesn't need true stars to utilize an elite shooter who is a subpar defender - they just need to present a diversity of threats that either means the shooter is creating space for others that can be exploited or that the shooter is getting opportunities within the system because they aren't selling out and comprimising their space to cover him.

• Like 1

Was trading him a mistake?  It depends on how feel about him personally.  Him not being here hurt the Hawks, but individually it helped him immensely.  It's unfortunate that he went to the Cavaliers, but he's been able to help that team out in ways he couldn't help out here.  He's got a golden opportunity to play for a finals championship.

23 hours ago, Diesel said:

Uhh it won't be the #30 overall pick.  The Hawks can move to pick up to 2021 I believe.  Will the Cavs be that good in 2021 when LeBron is 36?   God forbid LBJ decides to leave before then.  Then we may have a #11 pick.  Anything can happen. It was well worth letting Korver go and getting any kind of first round compensation for it. 

• Like 4

As far as leadership and team morale his departure hurt a bit.  But for all practical purposes he's done.  He just took James Jones' aka Curious George's spot who's basically a dead man walking.  The other things he could do well like strip down low and rebound well for his position are gone. Spotting up like a statue and shooting 40% from three with Irving and LeBron drawing constant doubles and traps is not impressive at all.  50%, yeah.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Uhh it won't be the #30 overall pick.  The Hawks can move to pick up to 2021 I believe.  Will the Cavs be that good in 2021 when LeBron is 36?   God forbid LBJ decides to leave before then.  Then we may have a #11 pick.  Anything can happen. It was well worth letting Korver go and getting any kind of first round compensation for it. 

I don't think the Hawks can move the pick.  It is protected and might slip to later years but that is unlikely given the high odds that the Cavs are still elite with LeBron in 2019.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF said:

I don't think the Hawks can move the pick.  It is protected and might slip to later years but that is unlikely given the high odds that the Cavs are still elite with LeBron in 2019.

The Hawks can move the pick.  I know that for sure.   I'm not sure if it's up to 2021. I believe it's 2020.  If it doesn't convey by 2020 or whatever, the Hawks get second rounds picks. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, marco102 said:

The Hawks can move the pick.  I know that for sure.   I'm not sure if it's up to 2021. I believe it's 2020.  If it doesn't convey by 2020 or whatever, the Hawks get second rounds picks. 

You may be right.  It has been a while since I looked at it.  Can you post a link?  I do remember there was something about the deal that made it more appealing than it originally appeared and perhaps this was it.

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

I don't think the Hawks have the optionality to move the pick if they want to. Below is from RealGM's Future Traded pick Details. Basically if the pick falls between 1-10 in 2019 then it gets pushed back to 2020. If it again falls between 1-10 in 2020, then it turns into two 2nd round picks (2021 and 2022).

2019 first round draft pick from Cleveland
Cleveland's 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-10 in 2019 and 1-10 in 2020; if Cleveland has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Atlanta by 2020, then Cleveland will instead convey its 2021 2nd round pick and 2022 2nd round pick to Atlanta [Atlanta-Cleveland, 1/7/2017]

• Like 2

Took seven games but Kyle did indeed show up for the Cavs last night. Four of six from three with a plus thirteen, really helped them. So anyway in a few weeks he could be anybody's property, might depend on where he wants to retire if he does get a ring this year. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Mistake in trading him?  No.  On THIS team, he wasn't going to change the outcome.  They still would have lost to the Wiz, and the Hawks weren't going to beat Cleveland or even challenge them with this roster.  By trading him, it gave guys like Prince and Hardaway a chance to play.  They need to start thinking about the post LeBron future and how to be well positioned for that rather than playing this game of trying to assemble the best "past their prime" team of veterans which will only get smacked by Lebron.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Didn't we have Korver for many years?  How many championships did we win with him?  This can't be a serious question.  No one in their right mind would think that his 6 points per game would improve our offense or that he would somehow shut down Bradley Beal.  Just ridiculous

• Like 2

Korver might be in Cleveland just for one year,, but  if so that's fine.   Cavs biggest loss could possibly be its GM after this season,,  David Griffin who built this team, could be shuffling off to Orlando...  if he stays im sure there will be some new building blocks needed in Cleveland..