• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Interested In Chauncey Billups, Brent Barry For GM Job

JTB

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

I don't enjoy Billups' basketball commentary.  I think Brent could be brilliant.  Someone tell Ressler and his little selection firm the clock is ticking.

Honestly, getting a GM in place before the draft is overrated.  Everything has essentially already been done going into the draft.  The people in place will run that even if a new GM is named.  It's more important to make sure you have the right GM.  

I will be interested in seeing how much influence Grant Hill has in this, as he has a very high opinion of David Griffin.  If he has a lot of influence, then the Hawks may very well wait out the Cavs and throw a bunch of money at David Griffin to be the GM.  

Remember, the Hawks hired Danny Ferry on June 25, 2012 with the draft June 28th, 2012.  Unfortunately, they drafted John Jenkins when they should have drafted Draymond Green.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Honestly, getting a GM in place before the draft is overrated.  Everything has essentially already been done going into the draft.  The people in place will run that even if a new GM is named.  It's more important to make sure you have the right GM.  

I will be interested in seeing how much influence Grant Hill has in this, as he has a very high opinion of David Griffin.  If he has a lot of influence, then the Hawks may very well wait out the Cavs and throw a bunch of money at David Griffin to be the GM.  

Remember, the Hawks hired Danny Ferry on June 25, 2012 with the draft June 28th, 2012.  Unfortunately, they drafted John Jenkins when they should have drafted Draymond Green.  

I hear you but the optics don't look good for a franchise with a brass as fluctuating and a history as checkered as the Clippers.  Ainge looks like a God tonight because of stability.  The Nets' ineptitude as well but you get me.  We should've had the "right guy" a couple years ago.

I know billups doesn't have any GM experience but I also know players in this era has high respect for him and that he keeps in touch and provides advice to them from a vet standpoint....so knowing that is it possible he may be able to bride players  to Atlanta ? 

Its risky but it should be considered that players around the league would more than likely want to play for him and I see that as the best thing he can offer to the Hawks that he's a superstar players GM.

maybe if he can sign an assistant that can handle the cap part of it , it will work. Just a thought cause we still have an issue of luring talent to the ATL

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, GameTime said:

Ressler and Bud are gonna have to give up more power if we want a seasoned gm

"Seasoned" and successful.... yes.

"Seasoned" on its own? Maybe, maybe not.

• Like 1

Another thing.  What's with this idea that Tony Ressler should give up power?  He's the owner of the team.  Everything that is done has to have his approval.  It's his money being spent.  There isn't an owner in professional sports that let's the executive staff do what they want without his approval.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Preface: Five years ago, I would not have said what I'm about to say.

KB, you're right, and related to that, I feel like this is why you so desperately need/want a competent owner...

Ultimately, you don't want someone who is so hands-off that it shows no palpable interest in winning and/or don't want someone who is so overly trusting so as to suggest the wealth is more attributable to luck than to competence.

You also don't want someone who is so meddlesome, though, that he makes the team his toy and primary source of ego gratification, fashioning himself as some great guru of the game.

So, if he's a competent person who's made his money by surrounding himself with exceptional sources of information, and based on that, proved himself a wise decision-maker... I not only affirm his right to make final decisions, I actually WANT him to be making the final decisions.

But... making the final decisions, having surrounded himself with exceptional sources of information. That's key, in my opinion.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, KB21 said:

Rick Sund is in charge for the draft.   

I think it can be done either way and be successful, I think it depends on who the person is and the situation they're in.

Meddling owners:

Vivek Ranadivé = unsuccessful

Mark Cuban = successful

Non-meddling owners:

Micky Arison = successful

Peter Holt = successful

I don't want to think there's only one way as an owner to do this.  I think Ressler has the right mindset based on what I've read so far.  Sounds like he may fall somewhere in between if I were to guess.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Rick Sund is in charge for the draft.   

Jeff Peterson

Mike McNieve

The other two heavily involved in the draft process...McNieve has had a lot of prior success back in the day with the Bucks. Not too sure on Peterson.

Im a bit worried. I'd like a GM by June 1...that's my deadline.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Actually, it is Jeff Peterson.

Good point,  I see he is 'point person' whereas sund is 'coordinating efforts'.   

Also, they say things are continuing as they were with bud and wes in charge and resseller has said bud has 'the loudest voice', wes is 'valued advisor to resseller' and grant hill continues to 'give great input as an owner, friend and advisor'

So now that it's clear what everyone is doing.  Let's get to work!  That means now people!

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Good point,  I see he is 'point person' whereas sund is 'coordinating efforts'.   

Also, they say things are continuing as they were with bud and wes in charge and resseller has said bud has 'the loudest voice', wes is 'valued advisor to resseller' and grant hill continues to 'give great input as an owner, friend and advisor'

So now that it's clear what everyone is doing.  Let's get to work!  That means now people!

Did you put me on ignore...cuz I literally said that an hour ago lol Thanks macdaddy I thought we were tight.

1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

I think it can be done either way and be successful, I think it depends on who the person is and the situation they're in.

Meddling owners:

Vivek Ranadivé = unsuccessful

Mark Cuban = successful

Non-meddling owners:

Micky Arison = successful

Peter Holt = successful

I don't want to think there's only one way as an owner to do this.  I think Ressler has the right mindset based on what I've read so far.  Sounds like he may fall somewhere in between if I were to guess.

Cuban is successful IMHO.  He brought that franchise from the brink of nothingness.  Lately though, his meddling seems to get in the way a bit.  He's hit-or-miss IMHO.

Largely, meddling owners are unsuccessful so give me a guy who'll empower his hires and shuts the FU for the most part.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Cuban is successful IMHO.  He brought that franchise from the brink of nothingness.  Lately though, his meddling seems to get in the way a bit.  He's hit-or-miss IMHO.

Largely, meddling owners are unsuccessful so give me a guy who'll empower his hires and shuts the FU for the most part.

I'd agree he's in that gray area, which he's only achieved as a function of one NBA championship... that alone takes him from "unsuccessful meddling owner," to that gray.

Have no idea how to regard his infrastructure except that I think Carlisle is deserving of some (regard, that is). You do get to see some of how Cuban reasons on Shark Tank, but then, there are no clues as to how well he listens to any lieutenants he has.

And reality is, it's difficult from where any of us sit to gauge any of this stuff where any owner is concerned... I mean, Cuban's management style is about as public as it gets, and we're still shrouded from any solid idea (as far as I'm aware--maybe I just need to look a little harder).

All I know is that, contrary to the cynics, I actually believe Bud and Wilcox perceived the need to reconfigure the decision-making function, and thus their own job titles/responsibilities... though I get the sense just based on how he's spoken with media both at the start and more recently that Ressler's personality/attitude/interactions with them made it easier for both to zoom out and be objective about it. I take him to be a really good combination of "supportive," but also "assertive," and too, not chained to any conventional thinking.  I hope I'm right about that, and that he employs and listens to astute people...

Accepting those premises, until proven otherwise, I'm not only good with his staying involved, I applaud it. I think it's a big positive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

Right.

I personally do not believe Tony Ressler is the type of owner that believes in himself as the President and GM of the club in the way that Jerry Jones does in football.  I do believe that there was enough of a divide between what Bud wanted to do and what Wes wanted to do before the deadline that he had to step in and make the decision.  I think people are taking that part and spinning it towards him being a meddlesome owner, and some are even trying to reinvent the Dwight Howard chase as if it were all Ressler's doing. 

You mean Peachtree Hoops? Cause that's exactly their narrative. 

• Like 1