• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dwight will need to accept back-up role just like Zach Randolph has done

hawks774

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Flight said:

Y'all can't give the man more than one season to mesh with the team? lol I mean he almost singlehandedly change our entire rebounding dynamic 

I feel like we just just have to really gauge our options as far as where we want to go with the future of the team. But as far as having him on our team I enjoy having someone that can get 10+ Rebounds with ease. 

I don't get it...These posters are ready to give up on the guy already without an alternative.  Plus he has improved upon a few things like his free throw shooting and his post moves.  If he improves his vision and BBIQ which can happen, he would be very valuable

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't get it...These posters are ready to give up on the guy already without an alternative.  Plus he has improved upon a few things like his free throw shooting and his post moves.  If he improves his vision and BBIQ which can happen, he would be very valuable

Yeah, as long as we went without being able to play physical in the paint I think I can tolerate another season or 2 of having a solid rebounding C at the least. Chemistry with teams takes time so I feel it's a bit too early to give up on him for our team. 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2017 at 11:49 PM, hawks774 said:

Dwight Howard can still help the Hawks, but at age 32, his role on this team has to change. Zach Randolph was asked by Memphis' coaching staff to be the leader of the second unit and for the most part it was a smooth transition. Dwight has limited options at this point of his career. Teams are not clamoring to add Howard to their team as a franchise player at this point. The Hawks can win with Dwight, but his role has to change and he has to be cool with that moving forward.

I agree. 

On 5/19/2017 at 11:54 PM, Lurker said:

If you resign Millsap you pretty much have no choice but to trade Dwight because that puts the team in a stuck position if you don't. The real issue is who do you get for C? Beats me. Holmes would be an OK choice as a stopgap but not great.

Nobody won't trade for Dwight. I figured Muscula starts but Millsap gets big C minutes like Green in GS. 

On 5/20/2017 at 1:17 AM, KB21 said:

The best you can hope for in a Dwight Howard trade is a swap of contracts, but you can't take on a contract that lasts longer than his two years.  You would be better off just buying him out and eating the remaining 2 years on his deal.  

He's not going to give up 20+ mil to leave. Maybe the last year of his deal he can agree to a buyout.

13 hours ago, Flight said:

Y'all can't give the man more than one season to mesh with the team? lol I mean he almost singlehandedly change our entire rebounding dynamic 

I feel like we just just have to really gauge our options as far as where we want to go with the future of the team. But as far as having him on our team I enjoy having someone that can get 10+ Rebounds with ease. 

Bud's system doesn't seem flexible enough to make it work.

14 hours ago, Flight said:

Does Dwight have any supporters left outside of a few fans on this forum?

There is a reason that he is despised. 

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Don't see Bud or a new GM shipping off Dwight next season whether they would prefer to or not. Signing Sap affects bringing Tim and Ersan back more than it does keeping Dwight. Therein lies the dilemma with the Baze contract, the real problem at hand affecting everything else. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

He's not going to give up 20+ mil to leave. Maybe the last year of his deal he can agree to a buyout.

A buy out in the NBA is not like in the NFL.  He gets all the money under his contract and we still absorb all the cap hit - it just can spread it out over a longer number of years instead of being done after 2.

I have always wondered why Dwight didn't master the jump hook shot.  I was watching a San Antonio game (before the Golden State series), and I genuinely enjoyed watching Gasol and Aldridge getting the ball down low, and turning for a short 3to 5 foot jump hook.  It worked frequently, and I just thought, after all these years in the NBA, why hasn't Dwight learned to do this?

• Moderators

Not getting what people thought Dwight was brought in to do that he didn't do.     Add some real wings that can shoot and suddenly everyone will feel differently about having an elite rebounder in the game.   

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not getting what people thought Dwight was brought in to do that he didn't do.     Add some real wings that can shoot and suddenly everyone will feel differently about having an elite rebounder in the game.   

I don't get the "cut him and move on" vibe either.  First, he is demonstrably better than his backups. Second, he is doing what you should have expected (both good and bad).  Third, it isn't like you cut him and then can use the cap space to sign someone else.  At best, you free up more room the next two years while tying up more cap space 3 years and out.

• Like 4

• Moderators

per36 CAREER highs in FG%, Rebounds (O and D).  Higher than his average in assists, turnovers, and fouls.   I understand if you just don't like him or like his game but he did better than you could really expect.   

• Like 3