• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Just for schuks... Ressler asks the Squawk board to generate some interview questions...

sturt

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Is being the majority owner of an NBA franchise everything you dreamed it would be and does it compare to being a hedge fund guru?

(... for the GM candidates?... )

• Premium Member

@AHF has me thinking of this one...

Take me back to last off-season. Pick a recent unrestricted free agent player either that was on the team you're currently associated with, or, Kent Bazemore as a default... '

Walk me through how you would go about determining what you'd offer in terms of years and in terms of money.

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

(... for the GM candidates?... )

For Ressler himself. 

For GM's, why is he asking us? We do not know what goes into a great GM on average. We are simply fans. He just needs to find that fit he is lacking in the front office. From my take. You need to have a player to build around. Find a system that works for that said player. Put the pieces in place to succeed. They need to a have an eye for talent. Vision for the future and a sense of humility which is what Ferry didn't have. Someone who understands that fans in Atlanta want what Golden State has or San Antonio but not what they currently have. They need to find a Tim Duncan but overseas find some Ginobili's. That's what they need. 

Why is Atlanta the place where players go to live and play (off the court) but not play (on the court)? - Assess whether or not the guy is cognizant of that very real fact

(And as a follow-up) How would you navigate through that difficulty to build a championship-caliber team? - Let's you know if he actually has a plan that fits our franchise.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For Ressler himself. 

For GM's, why is he asking us? We do not know what goes into a great GM on average.

Okay. Let's accept that.

I'm just curious and the point in me asking the question is... what do we really want to know, and how would we go about getting at that information if we had it in our power to give that input to the interview question script.

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Besides team chemistry, what do you think is the most important ingredient in building a championship level team on the floor?  

( If the GM candidate gave me a general answer, I'd disqualify him immediately.  If he could go into specifics, I'd continue the interview and see if he could convince me that he was the best candidate )

I think, generally speaking, any generic or cookie-cutter answers should be considered red flag(ish).  This ain't a run-of-the-mill GM job.  There are some fairly specific challenges that a guy (a) has to already be mindful of and (2) should have some pretty clear objectives in mind to overcome them.

It's why I hate that Olshay is apparently off the table.  That guy is well-respected league-wide and has navigated through a place that's not a FA destination.

36 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For Ressler himself. 

For GM's, why is he asking us? We do not know what goes into a great GM on average. We are simply fans. He just needs to find that fit he is lacking in the front office. From my take. You need to have a player to build around. Find a system that works for that said player. Put the pieces in place to succeed. They need to a have an eye for talent. Vision for the future and a sense of humility which is what Ferry didn't have. Someone who understands that fans in Atlanta want what Golden State has or San Antonio but not what they currently have. They need to find a Tim Duncan but overseas find some Ginobili's. That's what they need. 

We might be "simply fans", but even us simple fans can tell that some of these GMs are absolutely clueless when it comes to who they target, what they value, and why they dish out big money to the guys they pay big money to.

I think the biggest mistake that GMs make, is that they get "married" to the guy that they chose, and sometimes get blinded by the fact that "their guy" just isn't going to be good enough.   That's how some of these guys get head scratching contracts from their own team ( cough ) Kent Bazemore ( cough ).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

When in holy hell can we expect to win a title? (Maybe not lead off with that..)

Yeah, that smacks of desperation.  Just like your love life, you don't want the guy to know how desperate you are until like the 3rd or 4th date -er- interview.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, that smacks of desperation.  Just like your love life, you don't want the guy to know how desperate you are until like the 3rd or 4th date -er- interview.

Wow...I see you woke up on the wrong side of the couch today. First, Dolf, now me. Ok, what did you do? Why did your wife send you to the couch? We have 50 minutes so let's get started...