• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Its Official...Travis Schlenk is the New Hawks GM

Peoriabird

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

The 15th best player at his position.  So for last year, Bazemore played both SG and SF and his comparison point would be someone like: Harrison Barnes, Jae Crowder, Wilson Chandler, Khris Middleton, Malcom Brogdon, and JJ Redick.  Middle of the pack producers last season among the top 31 at their position on a per minute or total production basis.  By varying metrics, those guys are all the #15-16 at the position last season while by the same metrics Bazemore ranked much, much lower (see below).

Bazemore's career after 5 seasons is:  11.7 PER, .059 WS/48, 1.6 WS/season, -1.1 BPM, 0.3 VORP/season.  

Super middling numbers and last season was right on par:

11.5 PER, 0.53 WS/48, 2.1 WS, -.8 BPM, 0.6 VORP

Among guards and wings (a broader category than his true comparitors) playing at least 700 minutes, he ranked:

119th in win shares per 48

99th in win shares

69th in Value Over Replacement Player

75th in Box Score Plus Minus

Among his true wing comparitors (SGs and SFs and excluding PGs), he ranked no better:

87th in PER

76th in Estimated Wins Added

79th in Value Added

He is not close to an average starter which means the 15th or 16th best guy at his position in the entire league.

By many metrics, Tim Hardaway Jr. is the 15th best SG in the NBA of the 16-17 NBA season. To say a player who plays out of position in the DEEPEST position in the NBA and to say his stats are truly valid is ludicrous. Especially when his lineup pairings tell a different story. A far more positive one. But do you. Scouts and Gm's are nowhere near as bias. His comparison to average should be Tim, not Middleton, Crowder and Chandler who are clearly NBA SF's. Brogdon by many metrics was a top 10 SG. Not just an average one. You aren't being truthful on this subject and you know it. 

Just now, sturt said:

Dang. This is the pic that AJC chose in introducing the new GM?

schlenk%20bow%20tie.png

Some guys can wear bow ties and get away with it.

I'm not one. And same for the Colonel.

Ya that's just a crappy pic too...that angle shows his goose turkey neck to much...why is the cameraman so low to the ground...nevermind..

45 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya that's just a crappy pic too...that angle shows his goose turkey neck to much...why is the cameraman so low to the ground...nevermind..

Hawks twitter followed that up with an equally crappy picture.  What's their problem?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-announce-hire-schlenk-new-updated/135lGTTAPSFRPiWoQDyTKP/

1 hour ago, GameTime said:

When is the press conference?

My sources tell me it's set for June 2.  Yes, my 'sources'.  Pay no mind to that ajc.com update, that came out after my sources told me the presser date.  :cool:

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

By many metrics, Tim Hardaway Jr. is the 15th best SG in the NBA of the 16-17 NBA season. To say a player who plays out of position in the DEEPEST position in the NBA and to say his stats are truly valid is ludicrous. Especially when his lineup pairings tell a different story. A far more positive one. But do you. Scouts and Gm's are nowhere near as bias. His comparison to average should be Tim, not Middleton, Crowder and Chandler who are clearly NBA SF's. Brogdon by many metrics was a top 10 SG. Not just an average one. You aren't being truthful on this subject and you know it. 

Brogdon:

#15 in Estimated Wins Added among SGs

#15 in Value Added among SGs

#17 in PER

#46 among guards and wings in WS/48

Tim is a valid comparator for the regular season since his regular season was in that #15 range and he was a crap load better than Baze in the regular season.  If Tim performed like that in the post-season anyone arguing that Baze was at his level would be laughed out of the room.  Tim's big question mark right now is that he has one starter quality regular season (during which he was much better as a reserve than as a starter) and he sh** the bed during the playoffs both times he made it in his career.  "Is he a legit starter?" is the question.

(BTW - Middleton is in another class but last season struggled to average status in the minutes he played due to injury).

Most metrics have Brogdon exactly in that average starter area.  Totally fair.

• Like 1

You are right about Brogdon, I will admit to being wrong about that. I misread his percs. 

Tim had most of his success as a backup to Thabo. As a starter his numbers decreased vastly as Baze did the opposite. I am still on the belief that the fit was horrible overall for any of our guards due to the eye test. I can't say that the eye test is perfect and I do not have the tools Bud, the scouts, data or leadership has but I could clearly see that their was fit issues in the starting five and the clear success of our bench says more than enough. 

Good to see the Hawks close the books on the GM search.  Hopefully this guy already has a plan and now he needs to execute it.

• Moderators

Just have to say I'm very happy that Ressler saw this as a priority need this offseason.  It was my #1 priority to get us a GM with real authority to shape the long-term direction of the team and now we have done that.  Hope he is the right guy but the move is the right one either way.

Just now, Sothron said:

Baze will know him from GSW, he might want to keep Baze around.

He knows from GSW that Baze isn't worth this money.  Depends on how much we have to pay someone to take him off our hands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Brogdon:

#15 in Estimated Wins Added among SGs

#15 in Value Added among SGs

#17 in PER

#46 among guards and wings in WS/48

Tim is a valid comparator for the regular season since his regular season was in that #15 range and he was a crap load better than Baze in the regular season.  If Tim performed like that in the post-season anyone arguing that Baze was at his level would be laughed out of the room.  Tim's big question mark right now is that he has one starter quality regular season (during which he was much better as a reserve than as a starter) and he sh** the bed during the playoffs both times he made it in his career.  "Is he a legit starter?" is the question.

(BTW - Middleton is in another class but last season struggled to average status in the minutes he played due to injury).

Most metrics have Brogdon exactly in that average starter area.  Totally fair.

Throw in that THj is 3 years younger than Baze and the argument that Baze is a better investment than Hardaway is pretty impossible to make.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So we hired the two trainers from the Warriors in 2015 now their assistant GM in 2017.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/atlanta-hawks-add-two-trainers-staff-from-warriors/8kwIZfJG12Q6Je3lKSyqGN/

(Remember Wally Blase - wonder what he's up to these days?)

I was thinking the same thing on my drive from work. We claim to be Spurs east but we got the trainers and assistant GM? What's next the mascot? Lol...

I think Wally is soakin in some suds in a bike bar....lol

Let's keep following the Spurs blueprint...Wuck the Farriors!

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

Throw in that THj is 3 years younger than Baze and the argument that Baze is a better investment than Hardaway is pretty impossible to make.

Age isn't that important when dealing with limited ceiling players at their stages like these two. Fit is more important

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Can you define "limited ceiling" (as in what it means to you)? 

Every player has a ceiling.  THJr has seriously improved each of the last two seasons.  Baze hasn't.  So I'm not ready to say Tim is done developing but I am ready to say that I see more of a path for continued improvement for him than for Baze.

• Like 1