• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "The goal is to find another Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green"

GameTime

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Millsap isn't going to Philly!  LOL!

Point of the post.  Philly is the team that is going to do something crazy because they are going to overpay someone to go there. Someone is going to get a max contract from Philly because nobody, absolutely nobody in the league has the money to spend that Philly does right now.  You can't tell me if the Hawks' payment ceiling for Millsap starts at $25 million per and Philly throws the max at him that he'd say no? $65 million more is worth playing in a hell hole for some people.  Philly just has 2 find 2 star level players to take their money.  Millsap is a target because (as discussed earlier) Atlanta can't offer him the max without putting themselves in LT jeopardy year after next.

Philly has $25 million more in theoretical cap space than any other team in the league next year and in reality, nobody is within $40 million. Most of the teams even within $25 to $30 million have millions more tied up in their own free agents. Less than 5 teams in the league can offer another team's free agent a max contract this year.  Philly can offer 2.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Philly has $25 million more in theoretical cap space than any other team in the league next year and in reality, nobody is within $40 million. Most of the teams even within $25 to $30 million have millions more tied up in their own free agents. Less than 5 teams in the league can offer another team's free agent a max contract this year.  Philly can offer 2.

The Hawks have tried to over pay stars for years only to see them sign for less money elsewhere.  Millsap isn't going to Philly...Trust me.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DBac said:

It'll be interesting to look at this from a % of cap standpoint. I imagine it'd be somewhat consistent. Don't wanna look at that right now though, playoffs on.I imagine the convo for THJ starts around 11M per. I'd be cool with that. Over 15M is getting into dangerous territory. 

I posted about that after Baze, Turner, etc got those deals and pointed out how insane they were as a % of the cap and how out of line they are for comparable players as a % of the cap.  Last year was a 2006 housing bubble year.  Baze and the others can toast some bubbly that they were FAs during that historic series of overpays.  While bad contracts will always be given, that explosion of the 2016 offseason won't be repeated.

• Like 3

Just now, AHF said:

I posted about that after Baze, Turner, etc got those deals and pointed out how insane they were as a % of the cap and how out of line they are for comparable players as a % of the cap.  Last year was a 2006 housing bubble year.  Baze and the others can toast some bubbly that they were FAs during that historic series of overpays.  While bad contracts will always be given, that explosion of the 2016 offseason won't be repeated.

Now that we have a real gm, if Hardaway Jr. gets an offer well over 10 million per, it's time to move on. The data might say he's worth it but he's not. 

To me, he's worth in the range of Terrance Ross. 10 mil per. Projects best as a 6th man. Doesn't have the overall tools of a starter and isn't a good fit in the backcourt with Dennis on offense or defense. 

I'll rather go forward and land a player like Ben McLemore for 4-5 mil per, Andre Roberson for 4-5 mil per (if he wants THJ money, pass on him),  Jodie Meeks at 3-4 mil per, or Ian Clark at 3-4 mil per. Even look in Europe for options. It's time we started getting quality players for cheap like we did under Ferry. 

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am with sturt, I think players will get paid handsomely this off-season. Maybe not to the degree of last year but guys who produced will get paid. The difference is guys like McLemore, Justin Holiday, etc. I do not think those guys will get paid like that. 

12 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I find it funny that most interpret the New GM's statement about finding a Curry, Green, and Thompson for the hawks means a full rebuild.  Meaning that we will not sign Millsap, trade Howard and Baze for nothing and take our chances thru the draft or work some magic in free agency to sign a couple of relevant players.  This is just a form of projection from the message board GM's most likely because they hate certain players or they feel that Bud has a certain style and cannot develop those players to better fit his system.  Quite frankly he didn't say any of the things found in several poster's imaginations.  Hopefully the plan is to see what he has and evaluate whether the current spare parts can be at the very least be a part of the team's immediate future.  Then he can focus on the draft and possible free agent signings that make sense for the team's future.

I don't know... When the teams best player is a free agent and looking to become one of the highest paid players in the league and you have the new GM saying we need find another Curry, Thompson and Green (3 players on the same team) you do have to wonder how Sap takes it. Sap probably feels that he is nearly as good as Thompson and better than Green. Perhaps Sap takes that as a slap in the face.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I don't know... When the teams best player is a free agent and looking to become one of the highest paid players in the league

Where was this ever stated??? Where do posters get their secret information from because this is the 1st time I've heard that Sap wants to be paid like LeBron and Durant.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Where was this ever stated??? Where do posters get their secret information from because this is the 1st time I've heard that Sap wants to be paid like LeBron and Durant.

I'm not good at the contract stuff, but he'd be pretty high on the list if the Hawks give him as much as he can get, correct? 

I doubt he has settling for less than the max he can get.

• Premium Member
Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

I'm not good at the contract stuff, but he'd be pretty high on the list if the Hawks give him as much as he can get, correct? 

I doubt he has settling for less than the max he can get.

You are kidding right...Do you really think that Sap will be the highest paid player in the league next year @ 5 years $205 million @ age 32?  Dude is a borderline all star and not even that in the west.  Some of y'all have vivid imaginations.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You are kidding right...Do you really think that Sap will be the highest paid player in the league next year @ 5 years $205 million @ age 32?  Dude is a borderline all star and not even that in the west.  Some of y'all have vivid imaginations.

It doesn't really change anything. He is going to want this big monster contract and the new GM comes right in and says we need to find the next big money player. Sap is probably going to be wondering where he ranks in the pecking order.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It doesn't really change anything. He is going to want this big monster contract and the new GM comes right in and says we need to find the next big money player. Sap is probably going to be wondering where he ranks in the pecking order.

And how do know this?  What are your sources? Or is this another made up talking point that some here are notorious for?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And how do know this?  What are your sources? Or is this another made up talking point that some here are notorious for?

Why would he take a lot less money to come back to a struggling franchise with no real short term future when he can get big money somewhere else most likely?

He'd be foolish to take a pay cut to comeback to this team. This team is going nowhere.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Why would he take a lot less money to come back to a struggling franchise with no real short term future when he can get big money somewhere else most likely?

He'd be foolish to take a pay cut to comeback to this team. This team is going nowhere.

1st of all because he has done before already and secondly, you are assuming that he will be offered a lot of money elsewhere. Big assumptions on your part.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all because he has done before already and secondly, you are assuming that he will be offered a lot of money elsewhere. Big assumptions on your part.

He probably expected to cash in on one big payday... Which he will likely be looking to do now.

But, we'll see....

Max or not Millsap will get offered a ton of money.  He will get a starting salary over the $21 million he declined from his option.  He will not get less than $25 million as a starting salary (Dwight is making $23 just as a point of reference).

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

He probably expected to cash in on one big payday... Which he will likely be looking to do now.

But, we'll see....

Hawk fans have to face reality at some point. The player that are most hated on this board aren't as bad as they are made out to be except maybe Muscala and Kelly and vice versa.  Millsap is on the decline and his numbers dramatically showed it last year... Whether you accept this or not, GM's around the league pay attention to metric now and Sap's metrics are on the decline.  Last year was an aboration when it came to spending on free agents and plenty of GM's have buyers remorse so don't expect more of the same this year.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Max or not Millsap will get offered a ton of money.  He will get a starting salary over the $21 million he declined from his option.  He will not get less than $25 million as a starting salary (Dwight is making $23 just as a point of reference).

Not to say that you're wrong but who will pay Sap over $25 mil per season when fewer than 5-6 players in the league are paid that amount? Even after last year's spending spree.

• Like 2