• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I believe Howard can change

JTB

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Dwight Howard in PNR defense:

1.06 PPP 47.4% FG (53.8% EFG)....28.8% percentile.

Oh its bad. It's real bad.

Not nearly as detrimental as you think.  Opponents are only scoring 1.3 points when Dwight is defending the roll man.  The issue was with the guards fighting through or over the screen, to contest the midrange shot.  The bigger Bazemore did it well.  The small Schröder didn't.

But even Schröder only gave up 4.5 ppg off the PnR Ball handler during the season.  That shot up to 8,8 ppg, in the playoffs, when Wall started making midrange shots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

There was this family back in the 1880's.  They starved to death because o' the cold .... it was Dwight's fault.

Yours truly, 

@Lurker

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Russia actually was first to the moon but an analyst botched the landing codes and their ship missed the mark by a matter of about 5 miles.

Those brave astronauts are halfway to Uranus by now.

True story.  That analyst's name?  Dwight Howard.

Yours truly,

@Lurker

53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

True story.

The studio balked at the sequel.  Said it'd just be a hodge podge of celebrities thrown together looking for cameos.  The project sat on the shelf for years until a misguided intern vouched for it to the company President.  That intern's name ... Dwight Howard.

Sincerely, @Lurker

47 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The mayor of Shatsville, the ill-fated town built around a billion dollar manure empire, .... Dwight Howard. 

Sincerely, @Lurker

33 minutes ago, kg01 said:

True story.

There actually were w.m.d.'s in Iraq. Unfortunately, a military contractor inadvertently tipped off Sadaam himself in a rambling, drunken soliloquy that got him ejected from a Saudi brothel.

That contractor's name .... Dwight Howard. 

Yours truly,  @Lurker

Love the book  @kg01 - This is great Summer Reading. 

1B6PqJZ.gif

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Not nearly as detrimental as you think.  Opponents are only scoring 1.3 points when Dwight is defending the roll man.  The issue was with the guards fighting through or over the screen, to contest the midrange shot.  The bigger Bazemore did it well.  The small Schröder didn't.

But even Schröder only gave up 4.5 ppg off the PnR Ball handler during the season.  That shot up to 8,8 ppg, in the playoffs, when Wall started making midrange shots.

And we keep running in circles....like I said earlier in the thread, and it was PROVEN in the Boston series, there is a difference between letting John Wall have jumpers...and letting John Wall have an open gym. It was the latter that he got. You HAVE to make guys at least HESITATE. Boston made him HESITATE before shooting and boom boom, there's your difference. Against Atlanta....he got threes with no one within 10 feet of him and he wasn't made to hesitate coming off of PNR. Boom boom, 50%ish three point shooting, and good mid range shooting.

Letting the ISO plays go on...FAILED. Letting PNR go on....FAILED.

NEITHER was a good option.

Edited by Lurker

Combining Boston making John Wall hesitate when coming off of PNR between going to the basket and shooting, with making a concerted effort to forget the offensive glass and get back in transition, and boom shockalocka, there's your only difference in the series. Most of John's offense came with that AND transition.

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And we keep running in circles....like I said earlier in the thread, and it was PROVEN in the Boston series, there is a difference between letting John Wall have jumpers...and letting John Wall have an open gym. It was the latter. You HAVE to make guys at least HESITATE. Boston made him HESITATE before shooting and boom boom, there's your difference.

Letting the ISO plays go on...FAILED. Letting PNR go on....FAILED.

NEITHER was a good option.

Boston had 2 very good defensive guards that they could throw at Wall, while they hid Isaiah Thomas in the corner.  Bradley and Smart will fight through the initial screen, and hang with Wall.

• Like 2

Dennis got destroyed in Game 6, mainly in transition and with his inability to contest shots in the midrange.  And notice what happened the one time Dwight did come up to challenge Wall on the perimeter, midway through the video.

Dennis simply has to get better at fighting through those screens, or Bud needs to hide Dennis, and put a bigger defender on the PG.  This is why it was kind of curious as to why Thabo didn't get any burn in that series, even if it was just to play defense a little on Wall.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Boston had 2 very good defensive guards that they could throw at Wall, while they hid Isaiah Thomas in the corner.  Bradley and Smart will fight through the initial screen, and hang with Wall.

And they also had a certain someone helping show and make the guy hesitate before getting back. It's not even that I like Horford as I do not.

24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Dennis got destroyed in Game 6, mainly in transition and with his inability to contest shots in the midrange.  And notice what happened the one time Dwight did come up to challenge Wall on the perimeter, midway through the video.

Dennis simply has to get better at fighting through those screens, or Bud needs to hide Dennis, and put a bigger defender on the PG.  This is why it was kind of curious as to why Thabo didn't get any burn in that series, even if it was just to play defense a little on Wall.

Transition defense is everyone's job and what do you know, when Howard was subbed out, boom boom, the Hawks went on a run without him in that game. If he stays in, it never gets close at all.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if you're any ole' average guard, you can drop a cool, easy 20-30+ with the Howard Hawks. You don't even have to break a sweat. You would need Danny Green to stop those guards, or they're going to drop a cool, easy, efficient 20-30+.

It's a lost cause with the Howard Hawks on defense.

Edited by Lurker

On 5/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, JTB said:

Perhaps I'm too optimistic for the stubborn ones on this board but I believe Dwight was only doing what was asked of him by bud and staff this season.

I do NOT believe bud and staff asked him to fully commit to screen & rolling to the basket only. I believe this season with bud having extra duties as president, Howard was probably promised a mixture of post ups & a few jump shots here and there.

however moving on I believe now that bud is a full time coach again he's going to find a way to persuade Howard to commit to full time hard picks and rolls to the basket ONLY as it's truly beneficial to the team and to Howard being relevant at all times throughout the game .

bud will show Howard that good screens and hard rolls to the basket will get him back to an all star status or close to it. Howard can avg 17 or 18 pts just by rolling hard off good picks he sets and he can set good picks as long as he commits. I say howard will commit to this style of play cause he will see the benefit he makes and the outcome will be much greater.

I love Dwight but it only gets only downhill from here. I believe he did what is asked but he showed nothing in his game the past few years post prime that shows me he got anything offer besides rebounding.

You look at guys like Marc Gasol (same age as Dwight), he was a traditional center but he extended his range shooting. Meanwhile, Dwight he's the same guy he's always been, he just can't jump out of the gym like he used to. He never evolved. At this point, he just need to have a role like Biyumbo did in TOR a year ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

At this point, he just need to have a role like Biyumbo did in TOR a year ago.

Biyombo banked seventeen million for six points and seven rebounds a game this year so Dwight's salary doesn't sound quite as horrid compared to that. Dwight averaged over thirteen and twelve with a PER of over twenty. That one playoff series or really two or three games last year by Biyombo is indeed what Dwight's role is heading towards, a lot of convincing for him to understand that but a few touches will help with that some.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6427/bismack-biyombo

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2384/dwight-howard

• Like 3

Dwight is Dwight, we know what he is and what he isn't. He's not as bad in the right situation and he's not as bad in the wrong one. 

In this one, he is a productive center, one of the more productive centers in the NBA. But he's a flawed one. One of the worst in the NBA. His time as an impact player is finished. He is a net negative for most teams. That said,  it doesn't bother me none. He is not the difference or any wins for us especially without Sap. The only issue I have is his unpredictable personality. It can be bad for team building.

I have no issues with keeping Bazemore. If we can't get anything of any value for him, keep him. Not an impact. He is not a difference either way. 

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Biyombo banked seventeen million for six points and seven rebounds a game this year so Dwight's salary doesn't sound quite as horrid compared to that. Dwight averaged over thirteen and twelve with a PER of over twenty. That one playoff series or really two or three games last year by Biyombo is indeed what Dwight's role is heading towards, a lot of convincing for him to understand that but a few touches will help with that some.

I'll say this, Toronto is the perfect spot for Dwight but I don't think Biyombo role is what Dwight needs. Biyombo can defend the PnR, PnP and was active on defense consistently, that's not Dwight but he fits what Toronto needs 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I'll say this, Toronto is the perfect spot for Dwight but I don't think Biyombo role is what Dwight needs. Biyombo can defend the PnR, PnP and was active on defense consistently, that's not Dwight but he fits what Toronto needs 

What about Jonas? I don't want him I'm just saying you forgot about him lol.

• Premium Member
What about Jonas? I don't want him I'm just saying you forgot about him lol.

Please. No Jonas! I think he plays hard. But not well. We already have that in Moose, A for effort with D result lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 hours ago, turnermx said:

Please. No Jonas! I think he plays hard. But not well. We already have that in Moose, A for effort with D result lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jonas is much better than Moose but isn't worth paying a premium to acquire in any way, shape or form.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 7:56 AM, Thomas said:

Yeah, that's his best bet. In a perfect world, I'd love for him to be like Elton Brand during his time in ATL. He adapted well to Bud's scheme and didn't cause a headline.

• Like 2