• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

GM says Dwight Howard has a place on this team

GrimeyKidd

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Flight said:

I feel like there's a lot more to us getting worse this year than just Dwight lol

I wouldn't put the blame (or even half the blame) on him for us not playing as well this year. 

I'm sure the departures of Horford and Teague and the regression of Baze had no impact on our record.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Flight said:

I feel like there's a lot more to us getting worse this year than just Dwight lol

I wouldn't put the blame (or even half the blame) on him for us not playing as well this year. 

Yeah, on both sides of the three pointer lost many a regular season game and wiped out our opportunity to put the Wizards out in post season. We shot thirty percent from three against the Wiz in the playoffs, just a really bad number there.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Flight said:

Almost nobody outside of some people on this forum really believe in Dwight at this point. There is a reason for that.

It's simply not going to end well for the Dwight defenders.

He doesn't make teams better and he isn't worth half of the money he gets now.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

He doesn't make teams better and he isn't worth half of the money he gets now.

Howard was drafted by the magic in 2004-05 season.  They won 15 more games than the season before eventually going to the finals 4 years later.

Howard signed by the Rockets in the 2013-14 season.  They won 9 more games than the year before going to the conference finals the following year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Howard was drafted by the magic in 2004-05 season.  They won 15 more games than the season before eventually going to the finals 4 years later.

Howard signed by the Rockets in the 2013-14 season.  They won 9 more games than the year before going to the conference finals the following year.

Houston was much better this year than they were the year before.

Talking about his stint with the Magic (before it started to fall apart his last year with them) all those years ago does nothing to change the reality of 2017.

-He hasn't done anything to improve his game.

-Everywhere else he has complained about how role and caused trouble. He has already started doing that here.

Instead of facing the reality that he is not anywhere close to a go to guy he complains. Instead of focusing on doing whatever it takes it help the team, he complains. 

His first year here was already a failure. Outside of rebounding and his overblown FG% he has nothing. He hasn't been good for team chemistry anywhere he has been, he doesn't defend, his game is outdated, he doesn't set good picks, he can't make his free throws, he can't pass out of double teams, he doesn't have a post game, he can't make quick decisions. Even his shot blocking is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

The Dwight era will end up being a big nothing burger.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Talking about his stint with the Magic (before it started to fall apart his last year with them) all those years ago does nothing to change the reality of 2017.

-Everywhere else he has complained about how role and caused trouble. He has already started doing that here.

Instead of facing the reality that he is not anywhere close to a go to guy he complains. Instead of focusing on doing whatever it takes it help the team, he complains. 

His first year here was already a failure. Outside of rebounding and his overblown FG% he has nothing. He hasn't been good for team chemistry anywhere he has been, he doesn't defend, his game is outdated, he doesn't set good picks, he can't make his free throws, he can't pass out of double teams, he doesn't have a post game, he can't make quick decisions. Even his shot blocking is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

Regardless of how you feel about the guy, his per was still over 20 last season which was highest on the team and the team's  defensive numbers were highest while he was on the floor...Those are facts and not opinions. Now be a good fan for a change and hope that he improves next year and helps this team even more. Lord you negative poster need to drink more or something. It ain't that serious y'all!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I try not to argue with people that have blatant biases because it's ultimately a waste of time, but this is just ridiculous lol. If you undermine his strengths (rebounding and FG%) to THIS extent and dwell on his weaknesses, then obviously no matter what he does he will be a failure in your eyes.

He's literally only been here for ONE season and for a big man with his career history I don't think it's far fetched to say a lot of his doubters are just overreacting. Dwight is easy to like and even easier to dislike but you can't act like Dwight isn't already the most impact-making center we've had since Mutombo.

- This man is the only player in the past 10 years to average over 12.5 rebounds a game while playing less than 30 minutes a game (!)

- He even put up the BEST shooting percentage of his ENTIRE career. 

- To answer this list of "weaknesses", I'm not sure that you grasp that most traditional centers aren't go-to free throw shooters, incredible passers out of double teams or even quick decision makers (which I would love to see how we determine what that is among big men)

I don't know what standard you all are trying to hold him to, but he's CLEARLY still one of the best centers in the league. If Dwight was as much of a problem as his haters make him seem to be then it would be EASY to upgrade at center from him. Yet I can literally count on my fingers (possibly even one hand) the amount of centers I'd take over him in the league right now. And the funny part is majority of them aren't even on teams that are doing better than ours.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Flight said:

I try not to argue with people that have blatant biases because it's ultimately a waste of time, but this is just ridiculous lol. If you undermine his strengths (rebounding and FG%) to THIS extent and dwell on his weaknesses, then obviously no matter what he does he will be a failure in your eyes.

He's literally only been here for ONE season and for a big man with his career history I don't think it's far fetched to say a lot of his doubters are just overreacting. Dwight is easy to like and even easier to dislike but you can't act like Dwight isn't already the most impact-making center we've had since Mutombo.

- This man is the only player in the past 10 years to average over 12.5 rebounds a game while playing less than 30 minutes a game (!)

- To answer this list of "weaknesses", I'm not sure that you grasp that most traditional centers aren't go-to free throw shooters, incredible passers out of double teams or even quick decision makers (which I would love to see how we determine what that is among big men)

I don't know what standard you all are trying to hold him to, but he's CLEARLY still one of the best centers in the league. If Dwight was as much of a problem as his haters make him seem to be then it would be EASY to upgrade at center from him. Yet I can literally count on my fingers (possibly even one hand) the amount of centers I'd take over him in the league right now. And the funny part is majority of them aren't even on teams that are doing better than ours.

He still tries to pretend that he is a big star in the league and since he does that people will continue to point out the high number of weaknesses that he has.  Yeah, we know... He gets position rebounds and garbage baskets. That doesn't justify near 25 million a year. 

A high FG% when you score 8-10 PPG most nights isn't that big of a deal. But again, it wouldn't be a big deal if he would accept that he is no longer a star player. If he is going to continue to pretend that he should get 12-14 shots per game people will point out that he isn't that kind of player.

If he accepted that he is a role player now it would calm a lot of his critics.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Flight said:

I mean he led the team in rebounds, block shots, FG percentage and many other advanced metric statistics but his detractors act like he was one of the worst players on the team.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

A high FG% when you score 8-10 PPG most nights isn't that big of a deal. But again, it wouldn't be a big deal if he would accept that he is no longer a star player. If he is going to continue to pretend that he should get 12-14 shots per game people will point out that he isn't that kind of player.

He averaged the same points per game as Al Horford did this year.  But like Flight said...This is his 1st year with the team and no one knew how to feed the post especially early in the season.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

He still tries to pretend that he is a big star in the league and since he does that people will continue to point out the high number of weaknesses that he has.  Yeah, we know... He gets position rebounds and garbage baskets. That doesn't justify near 25 million a year. 

Where are you seeing that he still thinks he's a star player? lol I haven't seen him say he's the face of the team or the best big man in the league or anything of the sort honestly. The most I've seen is him say that he wants to be involved more in the offense and be on the court in the crunch time to help win games.... WHO doesn't? lol Are we really mad at this man for thinking he deserves to be on the court? Because we certainly are paying him an amount that warrants that thinking.

We can't hold him to such a high standard and be mad at him for wanting to live up to it. I mean he and Paul are really the only two players we can consider advantages any given game. I'm not saying Dwight is the best in the league because obviously a few surgeries have dampened that. But he deserves to get more shots than the 8-9 a game he gets, that's literally Steven Adams, Clint Capela level shot amounts. There's centers like Whiteside and Drummond that get 10-12 a game and aren't even on Dwight's level basketball IQ wise that get more looks. I think it would be more of a problem if he was satisfied with losing while off the court and being less involved in our offense.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

His trade value is a 2nd round pick most likely. If he was seen as the top 5 center the lovers made out, his value would be higher.

Trade Value is a pretty terrible way to gauge importance of a player in their 30's. Especially when the player is making 20 Mill a year. I mean aside from the fact that "he'd most likely be worth a 2nd round pick" being a complete rumor with no facts backing it, the play style of our league entirely isn't based around centers so that alone brings the value of them all down.

20 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The combo of Lewis/Hedo played a big factor in that. Moreover, that was along time ago.

Houston got better without Howard this year and the Hawks got worse with him.

Cant just factor that by itself

Loss of Horford and Teague too. Thats why we were worse. 

8 hours ago, Flight said:

Where are you seeing that he still thinks he's a star player? lol I haven't seen him say he's the face of the team or the best big man in the league or anything of the sort honestly. The most I've seen is him say that he wants to be involved more in the offense and be on the court in the crunch time to help win games.... WHO doesn't? lol Are we really mad at this man for thinking he deserves to be on the court? Because we certainly are paying him an amount that warrants that thinking.

We can't hold him to such a high standard and be mad at him for wanting to live up to it. I mean he and Paul are really the only two players we can consider advantages any given game. I'm not saying Dwight is the best in the league because obviously a few surgeries have dampened that. But he deserves to get more shots than the 8-9 a game he gets, that's literally Steven Adams, Clint Capela level shot amounts. There's centers like Whiteside and Drummond that get 10-12 a game and aren't even on Dwight's level basketball IQ wise that get more looks. I think it would be more of a problem if he was satisfied with losing while off the court and being less involved in our offense.  

It's obvious he can't live up to it. He isn't very skilled and athletic ability and mobility are on the decline big time.

I don't know why people want to defend this guy. He stuck up his middle finger at this franchise until his rep was completely tarnished.

You think he is going to be happy when the team is likely even worse next year?

Sigh... It looks like its going to take another year for some folks to accept it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It's obvious he can't live up to it. He isn't very skilled and athletic ability and mobility are on the decline big time.

I don't know why people want to defend this guy. He stuck up his middle finger at this franchise until his rep was completely tarnished.

You think he is going to be happy when the team is likely even worse next year?

Sigh... It looks like its going to take another year for some folks to accept it.

Apparently dominating the glass isn't a skill.... noted. 

And first of all no one is happy to lose on any team, but at the same time we would need to make significant roster changes to really decline next year. 

But if we're gonna ignore everything that goes into the season that effects the team than we could also say Paul Millsap's first year with us replacing Smoove was a failure (since we went 38-44) right? 

I dont have have unrealistic expectations for Dwight so I'm not gonna turn into a pessimist over night . He's a center, and for center isn't a position that typically produces the most skilled player in the lineup. All I need him to do is continue to be the best rebounding center we've had in over two decades. I'm actually excited to see what he can do with Bud putting more focus on coaching. 

• Like 3