• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

If Philly made the same offer for Dennis, would you take it?

sturt

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

C'mon, Teague's problem was the thing in his chest.

There was a  debate about Teague after his 4th year and wether he would be any better, develop the vision for passing some say he lacked which he did, develop a floater which he did. (I will always remember that missed ASG shot, lol). Be better in general, he was better after year 4.

Teague would have played better against Wall in the playoffs.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2017 at 11:27 AM, sturt said:

PREFACE: Please let's not get into details of new ideas for new trades that might persuade the mods that this thread belongs in the trade talk forum. Please.

This is simply posing the question... if Philly were willing to hand over this year's #3 and the future 1st from either the Lakers or the Kings, in exchange for Dennis, instead of Boston's #1, would you do that deal?

In a heartbeat.

16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

C'mon, Teague's problem was the thing in his chest.

There was a  debate about Teague after his 4th year and wether he would be any better, develop the vision for passing some say he lacked which he did, develop a floater which he did. (I will always remember that missed ASG shot, lol). Be better in general, he was better after year 4.

Schröder's problem is the thing between his ears. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

Teague would have played better against Wall in the playoffs.  

ummmmm, what?

Don't give me the 2015 playoffs as an example, I watched Teague get absolutely murdered by Kyrie in all 4 games against Cleveland. Don't tell me I didn't, as I watched all 4 games. Wall isn't as much of a scorer, but Teague would have done what? Maybe the exact same thing as he is horrible in PNR defense without a good hedger?

You can hate Dennis, but if you seriously believe that Jeff was the game changer in the Washington/Atlanta series, go get your head checked. The game changer in fact was Washington going and getting an average PF instead of playing two centers.

Edited by Lurker

54 minutes ago, AHF said:

Small sample sizes are not good predictors of future performance.

We were talking about improvement or the lack thereof by Dennis so I posted his playoff stats for his career with us. They improved the three years in a row he got minutes. Against playoff competition now. This year of course was his best by far.

vor 11 Stunden, Flight sagte:

So we're going to blame Dwight for Dennis' shortcomings? 

How did getting Dwight touches take away from Dennis when Dwight was averaging the 6th most attempts a game on the roster. Not to mention I'm sure a number of those came from rebound opportunities.

Don't try to make it seem like Dwight was some huge hinderence on Dennis this year, he wasn't even heavily involved in the offense in the slightest. Dennis has been playing under the same coach and system his entire career.

I watched every game of this season. Don't tell me Dwight was no hinderence when comparing him to Horford the year before. Every game Dennis tried to force the ball into dwights hand even though dwight never rolled the way he should and was glued to the low post. Dennis as any modern PG didn't learn to feed a static low post center. That caused a lot of tos. Hence why his tos got better in the pos because he didn't pass the ball into dwight once.

Horford was just an elite PnR and PnP teammate for Dennis. Thats why his numbers were better. 

See I'm not saying the Dennis who played with Horford is the real one but neither I'm saying that he's actually the way he played with Dwight as his teammate. Basketball is a teamsport hence why your stats strongly correlate to your teammates. 

Can you guys enlighten me on why we actually traded away Howard for a bag of chips just yesterday if he wasn't the most cancerous thing that can happen to a spurs like system? 

It's clear Howard was the worst fit imaginable. Everybody played worse due to him or actually due to his style of play in comparison to a stretch big like Horford is. 

Dennis learned to play the game the Spurs way. Not Dwight Howards way.

Edited by StephenHawking

9 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

I watched every game of this season. Don't tell me Dwight was no hinderence when comparing him to Horford the year before. Every game Dennis tried to force the ball into dwights hand even though dwight never rolled the way he should and was glued to the low post. Dennis as any modern PG didn't learn to feed a static low post center. That caused a lot of tos. Hence why his tos got better in the pos because he didn't pass the ball into dwight once.

Horford was just an elite PnR and PnP teammate for Dennis. Thats why his numbers were better. 

See I'm not saying the Dennis who played with Horford is the real one but neither I'm saying that he's actually the way he played with Dwight as his teammates. Basketball is a transport hence why your stats strongly correlate to your teammates. 

Can you guys enlighten me on why we actually traded away Howard for a bag of chips just yesterday if he wasn't the most cancerous thing that can happen to a spurs like system? 

It's clear Howard was the worst fit imaginable. Everybody played worse due to him or actually due to his style of play in comparison to a stretch big like Horford is. 

Dennis learned to play the game the Spurs way. Not Dwight Howards way.

You're still over-exaggerating Dwight's place in our offense. Basketball doesn't change as a whole just because of one non-ball dominant player is in your offense. If you really think Dennis is so educated in the "Spurs Way" would it not be obvious to know when to throw a pass inside and when not to? Judging when you can get a pass inside to someone isn't something that changes just because a different player is inside. That's just simple basketball IQ, it's not even that complicated to figure out. The notion of thinking our team played "Dwight Howard's Way" is literally hysterical. 

In the past I was a bigger fan of Dennis just because of the Rondo comparisons but Dennis seems to be developing at a much slower pace. I'm guessing it's due to his basketball IQ just not being as high as I'd expect.                                                                   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flight said:

You're still over-exaggerating Dwight's place in our offense. Basketball doesn't change as a whole just because of one non-ball dominant player is in your offense. If you really think Dennis is so educated in the "Spurs Way" would it not be obvious to know when to throw a pass inside and when not to? Judging when you can get a pass inside to someone isn't something that changes just because a different player is inside. That's just simple basketball IQ, it's not even that complicated to figure out. The notion of thinking our team played "Dwight Howard's Way" is literally hysterical. 

In the past I was a bigger fan of Dennis just because of the Rondo comparisons but Dennis seems to be developing at a much slower pace. I'm guessing it's due to his basketball IQ just not being as high as I'd expect.                                                                   

Don't you go and get logical now.  Apparently Dennis is absolved of any responsibility because he's 23.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute, Flight sagte:

Dennis was never comparable to Rondo. People did it due to his looks. Dennis is pretty much a Tony parker type of player.

A for sure can one player change a teams whole dynamic. Horford was our key peace. He was the whole reason for Bud ball. He made us versatile. 

Also it was pretty clear Bud told the players to get Howard touches. However as he began to realize that's it's impossible to feed a Center who can't even roll to the rim he stopped telling dennis to feed dwight.

4 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Dennis was never comparable to Rondo. People did it due to his looks. Dennis is pretty much a Tony parker type of player.

A for sure can one player change a teams whole dynamic. Horford was our key peace. He was the whole reason for Bud ball. He made us versatile. 

Also it was pretty clear Bud told the players to get Howard touches. However as he began to realize that's it's impossible to feed a Center who can't even roll to the rim he stopped telling dennis to feed dwight.

Can't really disagree with any of that. The last bit is conjecture but it's certainly plausible. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

So how did feeding Dwight lead to him getting less shots than Baze, Dennis, Tim, Sap and even Ersan? Stop trying to act like everything's Dwight's fault. It's just a weak excuse to use in general. 

A Tony Parker type player isn't even something you build a team around, it's just a solid system player. IF anything that makes him even less valuable. 

1 minute ago, Flight said:

So how did feeding Dwight lead to him getting less shots than Baze, Dennis, Tim, Sap and even Ersan? Stop trying to act like everything's Dwight's fault. It's just a weak excuse to use in general. 

A Tony Parker type player isn't even something you build a team around, it's just a solid system player. IF anything that makes him even less valuable. 

Dwight has to be able catch the ball though and often times there'd be a lazy entry pass into him and/or a poor effort by Dwight to get the ball. They definitely tried to get him the ball sometimes because of who he is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Strange that guys like Bazemore and Millsap didn't seem to have any trouble getting the ball to Howard.  More excuses for Schröder.

At the end of the day look who's on the roster now and who's not. 

They chose to build around Dennis instead of Dwight.

Honestly it's completely unintelligible to me how people can still argue for Dwight after yesterday's decision. I mean those people see him next to every day. If they trade him for a bag of chips he has negative value.

There's no point in arguing against it.

Edited by StephenHawking

2 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

At the end of the day look who's on the roster now and who's not. 

They chose to build around Dennis instead of Dwight.

Honestly it's completely unintelligible to me how people can still argue for Dwight after yesterday's decision. I mean those people see him next to every day. If they trade him for a bag of chips he has negative value.

There's no point in arguing against it.

This time last night we were shocked to see Dwight traded. Within the next 16 hours would it really shock anyone to see Dennis traded as well? 

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It wouldn't shock me if Dennis was traded but it'd only be for a really good package.

I would have to assume it would be for a top 5 pick and a starting caliber player. I highly doubt we're trading him but with the rumors every year that we're trading him at draft time it honestly wouldn't shock me. 

19 hours ago, Lurker said:

I think this squad and AJC would have been as happy as a pig in mud if Dennis fed Dwight 15 times a game....even if it meant the Hawks stunk, as it would have meant the Hawks stunk.

I mean wake up.

I don't recall seeing anyone say anything about getting Dwight 15 feeds in a game.  Besides, as poor as Dennis' passing is, most of them would have ended up as turnovers anyway.