• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can we get a late first for Baze?

I'm sorry but we have to get another first rounder in this draft. Is there any team between picks 22-30 that could use Baze? I know we'd have to take back another player to make the salaries work. 

I'd be willing to get a crappy player in return to get an extra first in the draft. I hate the fact that we lost the 31st pick. That is a very valuable pick. I hope there is more action coming in trades before or during the draft.

Would Utah have any use for Baze and give us #24 or #30 in the draft? We could take Alec Burks off their hands. 

Atlanta gets: Alec Burks + 30th pick

Utah gets : Kent Bazemore + 41st pick 

???

Best actual trade partner might be Portland. They have 3 first round picks and are in cap hell. Trading Baze to Portland and taking back 2-3 players to clear up salary for them and they might send you a first. As is, they don't even have the roster slots for their 3 firsts.  They have 14 players under contract and 1 team option. They are 37 million over the cap and will be repeat offenders of the LT. Saving them $10 million in salary would save them close to $50 million in tax....no I am not making that up.

Here are the tax rates beginning 2013-14:

Team salary above tax level Non-repeater Repeater
Lower Upper Tax rate Incremental maximum Tax rate Incremental maximum
$0 $4,999,999 $1.50 $7.5 million $2.50 $12.5 million
$5,000,000 $9,999,999 $1.75 $8.75 million $2.75 $13.75 million
$10,000,000 $14,999,999 $2.50 $12.5 million $3.50 $17.5 million
$15,000,000 $19,999,999 $3.25 $16.25 million $4.25 $21.25 million
$20,000,000 N/A $3.75, and increasing $.50 for
each additional $5 million.
N/A $4.75, and increasing $.50 for
each additional $5 million.
N/A

For example:

• A team with a team salary $12 million over the tax level in 2011-12 pays a tax of $12 million.
  • A team with a team salary $12 million over the tax level in 2013-14 pays a tax of $21.25 million (the incremental maximum of $7.5 million for $0 to $4,999,999, plus the incremental maximum of $8.75 million for $5 million to $9,999,999, plus $2 million times the incremental rate of $2.50 for $10 million to $14,999,999).
  • A team with a team salary $4 million over the tax level in 2015-16 pays a tax of $10 million ($4 million times the repeater rate of $2.50 for $0 to $4,999,999) if they also were taxpayers in three of the previous four seasons, or pays a tax of $6 million ($4 million times the non-repeater rate of $1.50 for $0 to $4,999,999) if they were not taxpayers in at least three of the previous four seasons.

When determining the amount of tax a team owes, the league uses its team salary (see question number 14) on the date of its last regular season game (i.e., if a player is traded away before the end of the season, then none of his salary is taxed), with the following adjustments:

• Cap holds and exceptions are ignored.
  • Any "unlikely bonuses" (see question number 74) that were actually earned are added to the team salary.
  • Any "likely bonuses" (see question number 74) that were not earned are subtracted from the team salary.
  • Any trade bonuses (see question number 98) for players received in trade after the last regular season game are added to the team salary. This amount may be pro-rated -- see question number 99 for details.
  • Any amounts from settlements of grievances are added to the team salary.
  • For players who signed as free agents (i.e., not draft picks) under the current CBA, and make less than the two-year minimum salary, the minimum salary for a two-year veteran is used in place of their actual salary.2
  • For minimum salary players whose salary is partially paid by the league (see question number 16) only the amount paid by the team (the two-year minimum salary) is taxed.
  • The salaries of players waived via the Amnesty provision (see question number 69) are exempt from the luxury tax.

[/quote]

So for example: The could trade Baze to Portland for 20th pick and this

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybtdg899

As awful as that trade looks for the Blazers, it clears up 2 roster spots for their draft picks and saves them about $20 million in luxury tax, + gives them a bit of future flexibility. Because the Hawks have 6 open roster slots.  It only adds $3 million in salary when you consider the cap holds. Win/Win for everyone.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3

The team will probably have to attach the 19th pick or the Wolves pick to get rid of him and I'm not sure I want them to do that. This team barely has any assets as is. It would probably be better to hold on to him and hope he can increase his value next season.     

Like CP61 already said, the last offseason really did set this team back.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Portland will have to draft and stash or trade for future picks since as @thecampster said - they already have a full roster. They will be looking for salary relief for one of their picks.

Allen Crabbe for a first? That means 3 years with that contract, Baze's contract, and Plumlee's contract. All three are immovable without giving up something. If Plumlee is the tarting center next year, maybe we can flip him if Bud gets the most from him.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Didn't this guy draft Baze?  Didn't this guy Schlenk.. fight for Baze to not be traded to the Lakers?  Maybe we're building around Baze!

Are we planning on literally building around him by including him in the concrete as part of the renovations? Because if you're talking about building around him in any other way I think it's time to take you to a farm to go live out your days running around and playing. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Are we planning on literally building around him by including him in the concrete as part of the renovations? Because if you're talking about building around him in any other way I think it's time to take you to a farm to go live out your days running around and playing. 

Heh, we'll always be able to look at Philips and say, "Yeah, that place's got good bones." and mean it literally.  BazeBones

To the OP, I think the better question is can we get a bag o' used balls for him?

Baze and Dunleavy (waived)  for Enes Kanter and #21

Reason: Saves OKC money $7 mil (already over the cap with Oladip's $21 kicking in next year) then they can let Roberson walk - Baze is a better 3pt shooter which they need.

Kanter's deal is higher than Baze's but one year less.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Reason: Saves OKC money $7 mil (already over the cap with Oladip's $21 kicking in next year) then they can let Roberson walk - Baze is a better 3pt shooter which they need.

Yes please.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You want us to trade for a guy who may or may not have ties to terrorists??? He's probably not even involved in terrorism but I know if the Hawks do make a trade for him that he'll turn out to be the leader of ISIS. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

You want us to trade for a guy who may or may not have ties to terrorists??? He's probably not even involved in terrorism but I know if the Hawks do make a trade for him that he'll turn out to be the leader of ISIS. 

Uuuummm, I'm not sure how to respond to this.