• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Dennis the next to be traded?

Sothron

Not comparing him to Steph but Schlenk is use to having a scoring point guard and we have a point that can score handily so Schlenk probably keeps him and with the chemistry improved between him and the C by default, would think he will certainly want to see where it leads us next season.

Was going to say, what's the point of keeping Schröder. Assuming that Sap and Hardaway leaving, this is a bottom 5 talent base. 

Dennis is already shoot first with all vets around, he's calling his number with the younger team out there. With all his top assistants being poached, I question if Bud can still develop these players at a high level. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DBac said:

Trading away Dwight for cap room and looking at sign and trade options for Millsap certainly doesn't sound like a win now mentality. Things change but it really does look like that's the direction they are headed.

How does sign and trade options for Millsap not looking like a win now mentality? Letting him walk for nothing and not using his capspace would certainly justify your position but if we're trying to get something of quality in return for a FA who's going to be overpaid then that to me says we're trying to win. 

And was Dwight really helping us win now? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Taking on bad players with even worse contracts would tend to suggest tanking is the plan.  How is that reaching?

Do some fact checking and read the Hawksfanatic article about how this impacts our cap and flexibility situation before you guys spin out and think the world is ending over Plumlee's contract. 

Schlenk said Dwight was a good rebounder, rim protector, big man, and he helped Atlanta's defense.  All of that is true.

Where are the lies?  If anything, people are lying about what he said and putting words in his mouth.  Otherwise, show me the quote.

Schlenk seems pretty up front as you can be as a GM, sometimes maybe even saying too much.  

As far as the topic, Dennis has a manageable and good contract so I don't see him moving.  Dwight's contract was one (along with Bazemore's) that wasn't ideal and hurting our flexibility.  Schlenk said as much about only having good and flexible contracts on the team so I don't get why people are so surprised when you put two and two together.

It's not like he's going to put it out there and say they are shopping Dwight, he was just explaining the good parts of his game to someone asking.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Seriously. Dolf is looking like the Iraqi Minister of Truth. What do you mean we're tanking? We're giving our good players for scrubs on horrible contracts but why would you think we were tanking? We're talking about SNT Millsap, our best player, and already said we aren't paying what other teams will pay but why do you think we're tanking?

Our good players? My God some of you are acting like we traded away prime time Moses Malone here.  You are one of the people who always freak out every year over the moves we make and every year once the picture becomes a bit more clear you start to calm down so I'm just going to let you sit and idle a bit before trying to persuade you to not make a knee jerk reaction BEFORE the draft or free agency has even happened as to what our future looks like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Who the heck said the Hawks are tanking? How in the world can next years team be judged when we haven't even started free agency or had the draft? Good grief there's some serious reaching going on around here. 

With Dwight and Sap likely being gone, what do you think is happening?

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

How does sign and trade options for Millsap not looking like a win now mentality? Letting him walk for nothing and not using his capspace would certainly justify your position but if we're trying to get something of quality in return for a FA who's going to be overpaid then that to me says we're trying to win. 

And was Dwight really helping us win now? 

You should never let big free agents walk for nothing. It's just smart management to try to get something  in the way of assets for him. 

2 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

With Dwight and Sap likely being gone, what do you think is happening?

IF we are trying to trade Sap then that means we're trying to get something of value in return. Whether that's a veteran player who can help, or a young player with potential, or future draft picks, or a crappy contract that we can use for future deals I really don't know and neither does anyone else around here.

We MAY be tanking but not wanting to pay 30 million to Millsap or keeping Dwight around despite apparent issues with teammates does NOT mean we ARE tanking. It means that we are doing EXACTLY what Schlenk described and that's not making bad FA decisions by overpaying and having difficult to move contracts. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DBac said:

You should never let big free agents walk for nothing. It's just smart management to try to get something  in the way of assets for him. 

I agree with that. But we could easily let Millsap walk and wait to use capspace next year or the year after that and instead go young. 

People are also throwing around the word tanking a little too loosely. If we traded Schröder and Prince and any other actually good player while starting D league scrubs then I'd absolutely use the word tanking... but as I mentioned above not overpaying for Millsap and not keeping Dwight does not mean we are tanking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dolfan23 said:

IF we are trying to trade Sap then that means we're trying to get something of value in return. Whether that's a veteran player who can help, or a young player with potential, or future draft picks, or a crappy contract that we can use for future deals I really don't know and neither does anyone else around here.

We MAY be tanking but not wanting to pay 30 million to Millsap or keeping Dwight around despite apparent issues with teammates does NOT mean we ARE tanking. It means that we are doing EXACTLY what Schlenk described and that's not making bad FA decisions by overpaying and having difficult to move contracts. 

This team doesn't have many real assets.  It has a scoring young PG in Dennis and what perhaps will be a solid starter in Prince. Then you have 19th pick. Of course the want to get something for Millsap, but it likely will not bring back a player as good as Millsap and so how do you really expect to win this year?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

This team doesn't have many real assets.  It has a scoring young PG in Dennis and what perhaps will be a solid starter in Prince. Then you have 19th pick. Of course the want to get something for Millsap, but it likely will not bring back a player as good as Millsap and so how do you really expect to win this year?

There's a difference between tanking and not being a winning team. They're not going to tank because that stigma and mentality is very hard to overcome and is shown to stunt young players growth. 

And we do have assets. We have plenty of them to make moves with. It remains to be seen what direction the Hawks want to go with though. 

• Like 3

Can I just remind everyone that Dwight Howard is almost universally disliked and has been given up on by how many, 7 teams now?  I even understand that he was incredibly disliked on the Olympic team.  Let's face it.  Dwight has little to no value and I'm going to just give our GM a pass for trading him for basically nothing and another, perhaps equally bad contract in Plumlee.  The point of that trade was to find someone willing to take Dwight off our hands.  He wasn't going to get you anything.  He's valueless!!!  So enough with the we're tanking because of this trade nonsense.  If you believe that then you're just asserting what you want to take out of the trade without realizing the facts of how terrible a teammate Dwight is and as evidenced by his play in the playofffs, how much he just doesn't give a sheeyot about winning and trying.

Edited by Eddielives
misspelling and grammar correction
  • Like 1

And I doubt Dennis is traded unless there's a team willing to trade a high lottery pick for him.  He's on a reasonable contract and still deserves to show he can polish his erratic play.  Dude has talent.  He just hopefully puts it all together in the next year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

Can I just remind everyone that Dwight Howard is almost universally disliked and has been given up on by how many, 7 teams now?  I even understand that he was incredibly disliked on the Olympic team.  Let's face it.  Dwight has little to no value and I'm going to just give our GM a pass for trading him for basically nothing and another, perhaps equally bad contract in Plumlee.  The point of that trade was to find someone willing to take Dwight off our hands.  He wasn't going to get you anything.  He's valueless!!!  So enough with the we're tanking because of this trade nonsense.  If you believe that then you're just asserting what you want to take out of the trade without realizing the facts of how terrible a teammate Dwight is and as evidenced by his play in the playofffs, how much he just doesn't give a sheeyot about winning and trying.

If he is valueless then why did Bud give him 70 million?

3 hours ago, Sothron said:

Seriously. Dolf is looking like the Iraqi Minister of Truth. What do you mean we're tanking? We're giving our good players for scrubs on horrible contracts but why would you think we were tanking? We're talking about SNT Millsap, our best player, and already said we aren't paying what other teams will pay but why do you think we're tanking?

LOL . . you pulled that out of nowhere.

Image result for iraq minister of information

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If he is valueless then why did Bud give him 70 million?

That's a good question.  I can only assume that they thought he could finally find his niche with the Hawks.  And had Dwight been a good teammate, focused on his defense, hustled and only played within his very limited offensive skillset, he would have likely been worth that amount.  So I think it was a gamble that didn't pay off.  And after another year of the failed Dwight experiment, his value has certainly not gone to "valueless."  I was being a bit hyperbolic but there seems to be no doubt that this guy is pretty much a recipe for bad team chemistry.  If he's not going to hustle and play d, he is essentially worthless and is probably a year or two from being out of the league.

2 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Our good players? My God some of you are acting like we traded away prime time Moses Malone here.  You are one of the people who always freak out every year over the moves we make and every year once the picture becomes a bit more clear you start to calm down so I'm just going to let you sit and idle a bit before trying to persuade you to not make a knee jerk reaction BEFORE the draft or free agency has even happened as to what our future looks like. 

I agree.  

Having said that, I'm definitely on the pessimistic side of things, but anything can happen during the free agency period.

I would've still been more impressed if he traded Baze.  Trading Howard was easy, because he still has value in the league . . especially when you take back pennies on the dollar for him.

• Like 1

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree.  

Having said that, I'm definitely on the pessimistic side of things, but anything can happen during the free agency period.

I would've still been more impressed if he traded Baze.  Trading Howard was easy, because he still has value in the league . . especially when you take back pennies on the dollar for him.

If I had to guess I'd say if there's a suitor for Baze, he may do a similar Baze for junk trade to get out from under another bad contract.  My money is on Baze being traded if we make another trade.  Of course this is assuming no team does a S&T for Millsap which seems very unlikely.