• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that they're ours, we can talk about the here on the main board, right? So what do you think of Schlenk's first draft class?

sturt

• Premium Member

Collins, as I said in another post, was a no-brainer. I admit I like Leaf's game better, and would have been tempted personally to draft him had he not went to IND the pick before us, but really the only other player in contention would have been Allen, and Collins already has shown he is presently what Allen only aspires to be.

Plenty of ways to go with #41, and by all accounts looking back at six different big boards from six different media outlets, Dorsey's average rank turned out to be 40.5. He sounds like a taller version of Ferry's very first draftee, John Jenkins, but maybe with slightly better handles, and that put together with his height advantage means he can get his shot off better than Jenkins could.

In hindsight, do I regret not having #31? Yes, kinda.

I know I'd said that we were almost certainly to find a #31-type talent at #41, and while that was arguably true, what killed me was watching Ojeleye tantalizingly drifting down the board toward us. Yet, having said that, there doesn't seem to be a gulf between him and Dorsey wide enough to make a palpable difference in the big picture. So, regret, yeah, but regret of any consequence, no.

All of that can be healed anyway if we can sway Motley into signing something with us. Big if.

Then, I just like having the NBA's first and only Alpha dog. On the name alone, I approve of the pick. Turns out, though, with a little additional investigation, he's the opposite of what I'd suspected--normally you have these developmental foreign guys whose athleticism has allowed them to distinguish themselves through defense. Kaba, from what I'm reading isn't that. He isn't even a down-low banger. Evidently, rather, he's a 6-10 face-up offensive player who isn't even considered especially athletic.

Which leads me to my last point... @kg01 wake up!, it's almost over...

Have we ever had a draft in which every player we drafted has been considered this lopsided toward offense over defense?

On Collins, I finally figured out who he reminds me of ... Cody Zeller! A pure 4 version of Cody that's a little less athletic but flashes a better jumper. Zeller is a really good defender though, but I think Collins has the fluidity and quickness to be good on that end of the court. Dorsey I don't know much about tbh.

• Like 1

I think John Collins can be Myles Turner without as good defense (or maybe not?) in the NBA. Collins put up better stats in college, but there's something that's been going on with Texas (before their current coach) that makes me want to throw out college in this case. Just like Rabb and Cuonzo/Cal.

It didn't seem like I was hot on the pick in the chat but really, I like it, just think they could've potentially done better.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I think Collins has the fluidity and quickness to be good on that end of the court.

Schlenk iirc suggested in his Facebook presser that he thought so, too, and mentioned that he felt like maybe the WF coaches emphasized to him to not play too aggressively on defense so-as to not get in foul trouble and tamp down what affect he could have on the game offensively.

• Like 2

• Admin

Like Collins offense but I hate that he is such a bad defender ... I hope it is something he can work on.   I was disappointed Evans went two picks before 41 ... I think he would have been a nice addition.  Dorsey can shoot but once again he is a terrible defender and even though he has decent handles doesn't like to pass.  I am not sure of what his future will be.  I don't know anything about the french dude but that was just a stash in Europe pick.

I really like the Dorsey selection. Collins will contribute, and probably be a building block guy. Dorsey just seems to have some energy/intangible quality that could make him a steal at 41.  I caught several Ducks regular season games and enjoyed watching him and then, of course, his tournament play. He has no quit in him.

In terms of objective talent, Schlenk moved the needle in bringing in pieces to the club, grade B

In terms of adding talent where the Hawks were selecting, grade  A

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Hawks University

Another important topic that is near and dear (obviously enough) to my hoops-obsessioned heart...

We have four very important voids on the faculty, and as discussed, have already suffered two instances of pilfering our best and brightest.

Is Hawks U's accreditation threatened?

I'd sure like to see a whole lot more assurance, but right now, even the provost of the university hasn't been tangibly and meaningfully heard from in more than a month. I'd sure feel better if he'd at least grant an interview, even if only to talk about this topic.

Perhaps that's coming up? Or, maybe his niece is getting married in the next few days, and he won't be able to show up for the customary club presser with the draftees???

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2Nique said:

I dunno I'm just kinda giddy at Dennis, Bembry, Prince and now Collins moving forward. :-) 

One could make the case that Dorsey and Bembry will make a great offense/defense combo in the 4th quarter someday, eh?

• Like 3

Just now, sturt said:

One could make the case that Dorsey and Bembry will make a great offense/defense combo in the 4th quarter someday, eh?

Most definitely. Dorsey doesn't look scared of the limelight at all and Bembry showed flashes for sure and put the clamps down vs the Rockets in Atlanta this year. I like it.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Words, words, words ... blah, bleh, bluh ...,

dcln

Sorry sturt, I ain't got that kinda time.

Anywho ... that 10-pick stretch from 31 to 41 was murder.  I poured out a lil' liquor for @Spud2Nique when the Seeees took the Semi.  Man that was a brutal wait.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

dcln

Sorry sturt, I ain't got that kinda time.

Anywho ... that 10-pick stretch from 31 to 41 was murder.  I poured out a lil' liquor for @Spud2Nique when the Seeees took the Semi.  Man that was a brutal wait.

Oh God I'm so pissed...mainly because my philosophy seems to be in line with Ainge..:-( I loved Jaylen Brown last year and Semi this year and they got both...only mistake (we shall see) is Danny taking Tatum over Josh Jackson. I think Josh Jackson was the best player in this draft.