• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Long term... Is Collins going to be a PF or a C?

Admin

Will Collins be a PF or a C?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The more I've been thinking about Collins the last couple of days and the more I read about him having more defensive ability than he showed in college combined with the fact that he's 6'10 which is fine in the modern NBA makes me believe that his career with the Hawks will be at C. 

• Like 1

I took the hybrid p*ssy way out but our league is signaling big time changes as far the center position is concerned. He could represent what centers will look like moving forward.

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I took the hybrid p*ssy way out ...

That's your life motto, no?

I said C.  He'll be a Myles Turner type, new age C that has SF skills.

I thought he was strictly a PF until i kept reading the draft grade profiles. A lot of them talked about 'since Dwight was traded...blah, blah' he'd fill in some. That's when I realized he could maybe play C.

I voted Hybrid.

What's his rim protection like?

40 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I took the hybrid p*ssy way out but our league is signaling big time changes as far the center position is concerned. He could represent what centers will look like moving forward.

That was hilarious ....I too took the hybrid p*ssy way out lol

• Like 2

I mean coming out of college he is physically similar to tristan. Slightly taller with a slightly shorter wing span. I see no reason his future isn't as a center as he develops.

With that said athletically he can handle the 4 as well which allows versatilty. That's why I voted hybrid, but I think he predominately plays C.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

I mean coming out of college he is physically similar to tristan. Slightly taller with a slightly shorter wing span. I see no reason his future isn't as a center as he develops.

With that said athletically he can handle the 4 as well which allows versatilty. That's why I voted hybrid, but I think he predominately plays C.

If he became Tristan Thompson with a respectable jump shot, he's an allstar center. 

1 minute ago, CP61 said:

If he became Tristan Thompson with a respectable jump shot, he's an allstar center. 

He has a long ways to go defensively to get there. I'm just speaking body type. But if anyone can push him there it is bud. And I agree, all star caliber at that point. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

To me it depends on whether or not he develops his perimeter skills on offense and defense. Currently, his style of play suits him at center but I put him at power forward because I think his game can improve similar to the way Blake Griffin's did from his rookie season. Even though he doesn't have great length, I am confident that he can improve to being a non-liability on defense based on his athleticism and foot-speed. He is a proven hard worker and he knows his flaws. Hopefully he takes advantage of the developmental staff here.

I think he can play either in our rotation. Small ball center and a big lineup as a traditional four. If not for his ridiculous contract, I would think a stretch four like Ryan Anderson would be a good fit. Then we just need a another banger when we want him to play the four.

Just the fact alone that we can discuss him at either position is a credit to Collins mobility.

A couple of things we need to keep in mind here.  First, this is a 19 year old player that will not turn 20 till September.  He's still developing into his body and developing his skill level.  I think sometimes that there is this idea that if a kid has more than 1 year of experience in playing college basketball that his potential is capped.  John played two years of college basketball and showed as much improvement between his first year and second year as anyone in the country.  This is a kid who has worked hard to show already immense improvement in his jumper just from the time his season ended at Wake Forest.  The fact that he is a 76% free throw shooter is a great sign that, at the very least, he will have a 15-18 foot jumper to help space the floor.  

Second, I think long term, he will be a power forward.  The lines of these two positions are somewhat blurred, but typically, likes to play with two bigs rather than go with a small ball line up.  Mike will use it some in sub packages, but much like Pops, he prefers to have two bigs in his base line up.  I think John Collins is athletic enough that once he gets used to the league, he will pose a problem for teams that decide to go small against the Hawks.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DBac said:

PF.

The Cs that are coming up are huge (Towns, Embiid, etc) and Collins is not long enough or big enough to contain them. 

You never contain the best players in the league. Best you can hope for against these types of players is you can get them in a little foul trouble to slow them down.

Examples, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett. Very soon Towns and Embiid will be putting up very similar numbers on a nightly basis.