• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

League sources: Paul Millsap will have at least 3 teams (SAC, DEN, and MIN) offering him a max contract

GameTime

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And that's the issue for most fans who actually PAY to go watch these games live . . or even on League Pass.  When you talk about a seasonal investment of anywhere from $500 - $5,000 to watch the Hawks, the bang for your entertainment dollar is very important.

If a lottery team is winning 19 games at home, and is at least competitive in most other home games they lose, fans will pay to see that product, even if the overall product is poor, due to how horrible they play on the road.  Anything less than 19 home wins, you risk losing the fans completely.

< > or = 19 wins + competitive in home losses = fans will continue to pay for the product

> < 19 wins + bad home losses = fans keep their money and stay at home

flipped

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. I'm not talking Lebron or Durant level though. I'm saying all nba level. So top 15 I guess. I think if we get one of those, we can convince top guys to come here. As of now, we can't.

Paul Millsap is already a top 15 guy.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I say

Lebron,Durant,Curry,Anthony Davis, Kawhi, Paul George, Cousins, Butler, Harden, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Griffin, John Wall, Giannis, Isaiah Thomas

Are better than Millsap now and moving foward.

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Sorry. That isn't in their 30s. I meant draft someone under 25 specifically so through the draft. That is what elevates a franchise. Getting a centerpiece without giving up assets. 

20 minutes ago, yungsta said:

I say

Lebron,Durant,Curry,Anthony Davis, Kawhi, Paul George, Cousins, Butler, Harden, Westbrook, Chris Paul, Griffin, John Wall, Giannis, Isaiah Thomas

Are better than Millsap now and moving foward.

Hmm.  So the Pelicans have two top 15 players......the only team with two top 15 players at this time.......and they aren't even close to making the playoffs?

Cousins isn't a top 15 guy, and neither is Blake Griffin.  Isaiah Thomas will likely regress to the mean as well, so I don't consider him a top 15 guy.  

The top 15 players in the NBA:

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Draymond Green, Anthony Davis, Paul George, Paul Millsap, Giannis, John Wall, Jimmy Butler, and Gordon Haywood.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Hmm.  So the Pelicans have two top 15 players......the only team with two top 15 players at this time.......and they aren't even close to making the playoffs?

Cousins isn't a top 15 guy, and neither is Blake Griffin.  Isaiah Thomas will likely regress to the mean as well, so I don't consider him a top 15 guy.  

LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Kawhi Leonard, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul, Draymond Green, Anthony Davis, Paul George, Paul Millsap, Giannis, John Wall, Jimmy Butler, and Gordon Haywood.

Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry, Harden, CP3, Westbrook, Anthony Davis, John wall, PG13, Butler, Cousins, Giannis, Draymond, and I'll end with Millsap because of bias, but he should be on the decline. KAT, Jokic, and Porzingis should be on their way into this group. Lillard, Kyrie, and Hayward could be argued into the top 15 now. Hell, KAT also has a case already. 

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

And the Rockets are on the verge of having 3 of those on the same team. I hate living in Houston when Morey does crap like this. 

While I love me some Millsap, he's definitely not a top 15 player in the league at this point in his career, regardless of age... but you can't have a 10 year age gap between your star and the young core you're trying to build around him with if you want to actually win something. By the team these guys are ready Millsap will be well over the hill. Heck in his prime with a prime Horford and Teague we couldn't win a championship or even avoid being swept out of the playoffs with him. Surely you don't think a mid 30's Millsap is going to lead you to a championship do you? 

• Like 1

If the 60 win team was still together. I'd love to run it back for awhile, because I believe that team was one star away. However, some questionable decisions, specifically last offseason, ruined it. Now we have to start over is what I'm saying. 

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

If the 60 win team was still together. I'd love to run it back for awhile, because I believe that team was one star away. However, some questionable decisions, specifically last offseason, ruined it. Now we have to start over is what I'm saying. 

No.  We don't.  We just have to be smart like Danny Ferry was in 2013 when he signed Paul Millsap and DeMarre Carroll to great contracts.  We need to identify undervalued assets, bring them in, and build back up what we had rather than tanking into the lottery only to draft some 19 year old that won't make an impact for 5 years.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I think Paul is unquestionably a top 15 player in the NBA and is the 2nd best power forward behind Draymond Green in the NBA.  

Operative word... "is."

Not saying anything that flies over top of anyone.

Will he still be at age 35? at age 36?

I'm undecided, but I'm probably more interested in keeping him than most, just judging from what I've read here.

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Let's say hypothetically that we somehow kept that bunch together. Our salary cap would probably be north of 120 million or so with Korver getting a new deal now, DMC with a bad knee and a career that will probably never be the same again, Millsap on the wrong side of 30 and Teague needing a new deal. How do you take that team and turn it into a championship contender? 

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Operative word... "is."

Not saying anything that flies over top of anyone.

Will he still be at age 35? at age 36?

I'm undecided, but I'm probably more interested in keeping him than most, just judging from what I've read here.

The ideal situation is to get him back on a 3 year deal that allows you to groom John Collins behind him.  By the time John Collins is ready to be a starting power forward in the NBA, he will have apprenticed under one of the best in the NBA.  I get the idea of not maxing him out.  However, if you don't resign him, you have to bring in a veteran because it will be more detrimental than beneficial to John Collins's future to play him too soon.

5 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Let's say hypothetically that we somehow kept that bunch together. Our salary cap would probably be north of 120 million or so with Korver getting a new deal now, DMC with a bad knee and a career that will probably never be the same again, Millsap on the wrong side of 30 and Teague needing a new deal. How do you take that team and turn it into a championship contender? 

I think if DMC had been healthy for that ECF and Dellavadova hadn't taken out Kyle Korver intentionally, the Hawks would have beaten the Cavs.  Our perimeter defense dropped off tremendously when DMC was injured.  

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think Paul is unquestionably a top 15 player in the NBA and is the 2nd best power forward behind Draymond Green in the NBA.  

1. Westbrook
  2. Harden
  3. Curry
  4. Durant
  5. Lebron
  6. Kawhi
  7. Giannis
  8. Wall
  9. Davis
  10. KAT
  11. Hayward
  12. Jokic
  13. Drummond
  14. D Green
  15. Gobert
  16. D Jordan
  17. PG
  18. Derozan
  19. CP3
  20. Cousins
  21. Lillard
  22. Butler
  23. Gasol
  24. Love
  25. Beal
  26. Irving
  27. Klay

These aren't listed in a definitive order, just as I could think of them, but I don't put Millsap ahead of any of them. I could probably argue that he's right there with a few of them but no way is he top 15 and that doesn't even factor in his age.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The ideal situation is to get him back on a 3 year deal that allows you to groom John Collins behind him.  By the time John Collins is ready to be a starting power forward in the NBA, he will have apprenticed under one of the best in the NBA.  I get the idea of not maxing him out.  However, if you don't resign him, you have to bring in a veteran because it will be more detrimental than beneficial to John Collins's future to play him too soon.

But somewhat obviously, his own economic self-interest probably means he's taking something at 4 years.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think if DMC had been healthy for that ECF and Dellavadova hadn't taken out Kyle Korver intentionally, the Hawks would have beaten the Cavs.  Our perimeter defense dropped off tremendously when DMC was injured.  

Maybe. I mean we weren't exactly tearing through the East before their injuries. But maybe we beat Cleveland... and then likely get smoked by Golden State. But that's not a team that you can keep together and especially not if you consider the current cost of that team. 

1 minute ago, sturt said:

But somewhat obviously, his own economic self-interest probably means he's taking something at 4 years.

Unless he's willing to go 2 more years and then try for a 4 year deal that gets him to the 38 and over rule that allows him to get a big time payday. 

Then that is a case of the grass is greener on the other side.  

You have listed a lot of one way players above him, and Paul is clearly a high level two way guy.  Nikola Jokic is good for his age group, but he's not a top 15 player.   Neither is Drummond, Jordan, Gobert, Derozan, or Cousins.