• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Where are all the offers for Millsap?

Peoriabird

Phoenix used to be the definition of a treadmill team. Their owner was always notoriously against a true tear down. He had the Atlanta Hawks management mindset down to a T.

In 2011 they went 33-33. The 2013-2014 Suns went 48-34 and still missed the playoffs. The 2014-2015 the Suns won 39 games and lost 43. It they were in the east, they'd atleast make the playoffs  twice. They just play in the west which is historically better than the east. 

Sarver had that team wallowing in mediocrity for a while  and finally are letting their GM go young. If anything, they're an indictment of what could happen if you purposely try to compete constantly. Atlanta could have easily ended up similar to them. The Hawks just play in a trash conference. 

Edited by Guard
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guard said:

Phoenix used to be the definition of a treadmill team. Their owner was always notoriously against a true tear down. He had the Atlanta Hawks management mindset down to a T.

In 2011 they went 33-33. The 2013-2014 Suns went 48-34 and still missed the playoffs. The 2014-2015 the Suns won 39 games and lost 43. It they were in the east, they'd atleast make the playoffs  twice. They just play in the west which is historically better than the east. 

Sarver had that team wallowing in mediocrity for a while  and finally are letting their GM go young. If anything, they're an indictment of what could happen if you purposely try to compete constantly. Atlanta could have easily ended up similar to them. The Hawks just play in a trash conference. 

Dennis and Prince are decent enough players... But there are some folks that think you can build a championship team with these kind of players. It ain't going to happen.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DBac said:

Was really hoping to hear news of Millsap signing tonight. The fact that he's hosting teams in Atlanta is interesting.

Hosting teams in Atlanta? Where have you seen this???

Honestly, the more time goes by, the more likely that he will remain in Atlanta on a shorter contract. It is kind of strange that he is making other teams come to Atlanta. Perhaps he isn't as intent on leaving as some people would think.

I suspect management would be interested in bringing him back for shorter years.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

41 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Hosting teams in Atlanta? Where have you seen this???

Honestly, the more time goes by, the more likely that he will remain in Atlanta on a shorter contract. It is kind of strange that he is making other teams come to Atlanta. Perhaps he isn't as intent on leaving as some people would think.

I suspect management would be interested in bringing him back for shorter years.

Tonight's meeting with Denver was in ATL. They brought some Broncos players in town lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Guys...only 1 team is interested and that's Denver.  All other teams have gone in a different direction so its not teams but rather team.

Seen this on real gm im not sure how reliable his source was but it wouldn't be a bad thing for us if it was true

Rumor is now that Danny Ainge is getting desperate, after the George, Butler, CP3 trades, and Griffin resigning, and Celtics are starting to explore Millsap as an option now.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, Phoenix is going all in on the youth movement, eh.  What exactly have they been doing since 2011?  

The lottery treadmill continues for them.  It should be a warning sign for Hawks fans wanting to get on that treadmill, but alas, this continues to be ignored.

While others only talk about the failures while ignoring the champions who got their studs through the lottery or a trade of their lottery picks and ignore the pleas of Squawkers begging for examples of teams like the Hawks who have won rings without dropping into the top 10 of the lottery.

Phoenix is a cautionary tale of what happens when you try to keep winning and don't have the stud to build around.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Is there any incentive for Sap to sign a 1+1 (player option) deal and try it again next year?

Yes.  He would rather stay in the ATL.  Shrimp the new GM wants to pay nothing for players.  Ownership wants to face up the arena and play .500 ball with cheap players to sell the team for big $$$

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, AHF said:

While others only talk about the failures while ignoring the champions who got their studs through the lottery or a trade of their lottery picks and ignore the pleas of Squawkers begging for examples of teams like the Hawks who have won rings without dropping into the top 10 of the lottery.

Phoenix is a cautionary tale of what happens when you try to keep winning and don't have the stud to build around.

If Denver isn't willing to part with a draft pick then if the price is right i.e. 3 years $25 Mil or less, we may as well keep his and try to trade him later.  Personally I think that Denver will lose interest after a while anyway just like the other teams especially after mulling over Sap's sharp decline last year.

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

Yes.  He would rather stay in the ATL.  Shrimp the new GM wants to pay nothing for players.  Ownership wants to face up the arena and play .500 ball with cheap players to sell the team for big $$$

I'm starting to agree that Ressler isn't really interested in hanging onto the team in the long term.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I don't understand how you are coming to your conclusions?  Who aren't they playing that you think should have been paid?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

So you rather play .500 ball with a capped out team? How many wins did we get last year with a healthy Dwight and Millsap?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

Is there any incentive for Sap to sign a 1+1 (player option) deal and try it again next year?

Cap Projection for 2018 is $108m last I looked... so about a 10% jump.

I'd say this is his best chance at wrangling a big payday when he's 36--the consternation of signing him for longer term right now is counterbalanced by the confidence that he's likely to produce solid numbers for the next couple of years.

• Like 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

If Denver isn't willing to part with a draft pick then if the price is right i.e. 3 years $25 Mil or less, we may as well keep his and try to trade him later.  Personally I think that Denver will lose interest after a while anyway just like the other teams especially after mulling over Sap's sharp decline last year.

I don't mind Sap on a 3 year deal like that at all - it is just a matter of the team's goals and if the focus is on our draft next year then it doesn't make sense even at a good price unless you think you can trade him for enough value to recoup the hit to draft position that his play would bring.

19 minutes ago, GameTime said:

nSo you rather play .500 ball with a capped out team? How many wins did we get last year with a healthy Dwight and Millsap?

I think its more complicated then that. If we can keep Milsap on a 2 year contract then he is valuable asset to trade down the road. This route could help us rebuild the franchise quicker than simply letting him walk for nothing. We will probably be a lottery term either way.

Under the new CBA when would Milsap be eligible to trade ?

Edited by coachx

4 minutes ago, coachx said:

I think its more complicated then that. If we can keep Milsap on a 2 year contract then he is valuable asset to trade down the road. This route could help us rebuild the franchise quicker than simply letting him walk for nothing. We will probably be a lottery term either way.

Under the new CBA when would Milsap be eligible to trade ?

2 year deal is not capped out and a valuable contract. I was speaking more of the max (or supermax) 4-5 year deal.

1 minute ago, GameTime said:

2 year deal is not capped out and a valuable contract. I was speaking more of the max (or supermax) 4-5 year deal.

It seems evident that kind of market doesn't exist for Milsap at 32 years old. I think GMs know that our system can make certain players perform at their max potential and Milsap is probably one of those guys.

• Like 1