• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who is John Collins' comp ceiling?

sturt

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

For some reason, when I see him I think of Alan Henderson.

$1000 answer from the Jeopardy category, Forgotten Hawks Names Best Left Forgotten... hehe...

Hopefully, not Collins' ceiling, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GameTime said:

I've heard a less athletic, better rebounding Amare Stoudemire and a more athletic/explosive Enes Kanter.

I agree with this. I think ceiling though is Tristan Thompson with a jump shot. He's a hard one to comp for me though. Enes Kanter is the most likely outcome to me. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I agree with this. I think ceiling though is Tristan Thompson with a jump shot. He's a hard one to comp for me though. Enes Kanter is the most likely outcome to me. 

Kanter? I'm thinking Collins is much quicker and better hops, but without Kanter's passing ability.

So sticking with Z-Bo for now, ceiling-wise.

20 minutes ago, sturt said:

Kanter? I'm thinking Collins is much quicker and better hops, but without Kanter's passing ability.

So sticking with Z-Bo for now, ceiling-wise.

Kanter is more an impact than athletic comp. 

Edited by CP61

All I've gathered is that he's old school as hell.  I enjoy watching True 4s much more than Stretch ones but can you buck the NBA trend with a rookie?  Not a fan of all the "we can work on his jumpshot" business either.  I've only seen snippets but he doesn't look as athletic as he's been pegged as.  Nice handles though.  If he's active and confident defending PNR I'll be very encouraged.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

2017-07-04_1653.png

Slightly shorter (6-9) and definitely heavier (250) than Collins even at that age, but setting aside the non-game descriptives doesn't this sound a whole lot like the guy we just got at #19?

Oh.

And I'd long since forgotten if I ever even knew it in the first place... Z-Bo's draft slot? Yep. Same. Fwiw.

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

2017-07-04_1653.png

Slightly shorter (6-9) and definitely heavier (250) than Collins even at that age, but setting aside the non-game descriptives doesn't this sound a whole lot like the guy we just got at #19?

Oh.

And I'd long since forgotten if I ever even knew it in the first place... Z-Bo's draft slot? Yep. Same. Fwiw.

What about Reef?

Probably not a good comparison from the clips I've seen.

I do have to agree with the poster that said that Collins doesn't look as athletic as advertised. 

Edited by Hotlanta1981

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Maybe, @Hotlanta1981.... but I don't recall Reef being so criticized for his defense, do you?

I don't watch college ball, but NBA wise I thought Reef was kind of average on that end. But it's been more than a decade and so perhaps my memory is off.  Decent enough as long as he didn't have to out of his way to make a play.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member

I'm way behind in a lot of sports news and evaluating our picks fullly, so I'm just throwing a name out there. It seems his defense needs work so this is an offensive comp. I read he is a guy that can bang but needs some work on his frame to do it in the NBA. Good form on his shot but needs work on that too. We all know he will work on his shot to fit into modern day NBA, so does anyone see best case offensively we get a younger David West?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I'm way behind in a lot of sports news and evaluating our picks fullly, so I'm just throwing a name out there. It seems his defense needs work so this is an offensive comp. I read he is a guy that can bang but needs some work on his frame to do it in the NBA. Good form on his shot but needs work on that too. We all know he will work on his shot to fit into modern day NBA, so does anyone see best case offensively we get a younger David West?

He is more athletic than west 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, aali34 said:

He is more athletic than west 

Agree with that, I'm just looking at overall numbers and what you can expect him to do offensively.