• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Schlenk say we are competing? Or competing for a playoff spot?

Admin

With the way that C-Viv likes to take liberties with what people say I'm beginning to wonder if Schlenk wasn't misquoted or something. I know they want us to be patient but this is reaaaaaallly starting to feel like we're racing towards the best lottery odds as opposed to being able to compete for a playoff spot when the final month of the season rolls around. 

This is getting to the point where we're heading beyond intentionally tanking and moving towards down right criminal activity here and some form of collusion.

• Premium Member

The most I think we can safely assume is that C-Viv accurately quoted "30-something wins."

Is that over the course of one season? I dunno. But I'd like to think so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

With the way that C-Viv likes to take liberties with what people say I'm beginning to wonder if Schlenk wasn't misquoted or something. I know they want us to be patient but this is reaaaaaallly starting to feel like we're racing towards the best lottery odds as opposed to being able to compete for a playoff spot when the final month of the season rolls around. 

This is getting to the point where we're heading beyond intentionally tanking and moving towards down right criminal activity here and some form of collusion.

I don't think that Schlenk is a very truthful person and so he probably said that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

The most I think we can safely assume is that C-Viv accurately quoted "30-something wins."

Is that over the course of one season? I dunno. But I'd like to think so.

Someone mentioned 4-5 years he needs to have us at 55+ wins and now i"m wondering like you are here if they meant in total or in a single season. 

You know the more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that Schlenk may actually be one of the "Bobs"

Competing means nothing when a GM or coach says it.  That is what the Sam Mcneese St. head coach says before he plays the Crimson Tide.  "We're gonna go out compete and play hard."  

Surprised so many would take Schlenk literally when he speaks in worthless media phraseology like that.

• Like 3

• Admin

I agree and think he was saying we are going to compete every game ... aka go out and give 100% not just give the win to the other team ... most likely it will result in a loss but he will put a team together that will give it their all.  Guys with heart like Prince and  Bembry.  I have a feeling we will compete for,the worst record but it won't be just throwing in the towel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Watchman said:

He probably said we are "composting" which was misunderstood as competing.

LOL WATCHMAN...it's all semantics to these folks.  To be honest we are NOT "rebuilding" - because you can't rebuild until you clear out the entire previous stuff - bulldoze the foundation - so you can start again. We are not rebuilding - we are going down to a near expansion level team level to do exactly what BK did before.

Now granted, this strategy can work if you have smart drafters and don't pick Marvin over CP3 and a even worse players after that.  They may even get it right this time (?).

But NO - we are not "rebuilding" - we are tanking bigtime for high level draft picks in the future.  At least it is a strategy that can possibly work. 

28 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I took in the sense that we are not going to purposely lose. 

You cannot ask even poor professional players to intentionally lose - it would be against their best interests to miss shots on purpose and they want to have a future.  So you get the crappiest team you can and let nature take it's course. :biggrin:

3 hours ago, JTB said:

The dude literally has not made any moves. We currently don't have starter quality players for SG, PF, or C....If he's planning on tanking he's doing a damn good job.

Tanking for what? The 12 pick? The 8th pick? There is no chance the hawks will land the #1 pick... since it's rigged.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Tanking for what? The 12 pick? The 8th pick? There is no chance the hawks will land the #1 pick... since it's rigged.

Oh C'mon TB....we are gonna get a helluva lot better than the 8 - 12 pick if we win 23 games.  Philly - the prime tanker over the years is moving up.  We should be in the top 3 of tankers which should give us a top 4 pick at worst....which we could use.

Let's be realistic - we have a wild PG (Dennis) and a SF in Baze who may do better next year  but you never know.  Otherwise we have stiffs in the middle.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I know we are trying to get in the lottery but at the same time, keep our young core players. I do not think any GM would admit that they're tanking, as that would make Silver upset. As much as I hate watching losing basketball, this COULD be the best way about building our teams future. Keyword: could

I dont know..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

I know we are trying to get in the lottery but at the same time, keep our young core players. .....

Who exactly are our "young core players" ?  Surely you are not including Bembry and Moose?  Once THJr goes to NY - exactly who are our "core" players that can actually get the job done in this league?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Who exactly are our "young core players" ?  Surely you are not including Bembry and Moose?  Once THJr goes to NY - exactly who are our "core" players that can actually get the job done in this league?

Good question. Dennis and Prince? I think thats what hes trying to figure out himself. Find young players who have hope, stock up on picks, and signs decent contracts to use trades and trading up in the draft. 

21 hours ago, AHawks89 said:

I know we are trying to get in the lottery but at the same time, keep our young core players. I do not think any GM would admit that they're tanking, as that would make Silver upset. As much as I hate watching losing basketball, this COULD be the best way about building our teams future. Keyword: could

I dont know..

What core?

• Like 1

As the team stands now we can not settle for anything than a top 3 pick. This team currently constructed should be bad enough to lower the season ticket prices they jacked up recently.