• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What is the secret to playing good defense?

Wurider05

I have always wondered what is the secret to being a good to great defender. You see guys that appear to have the physical tools but can't seem to get it done. Take for instance Russell Westbrook he is a physical specimen but can't play a lick of defense. Same with J. Okafor. That also appears to be the knock on Collins as well. Is it a mental thing or guys are so focused on offense they don't care. Is it something that can be taught? I understand that no one is going to completely shut another player  completely down but it doesn't have to be an easy ride.  

Edited by Wurider05

I had a coach once tell me it was balance and that balance began with the toes.

Realistically speaking, wingspan to height ratio goes a long way to determining balance as does (I am not making this up) the relationship between your bellybutton and the center of your body.

This "balance" determines your ability to stop, start. Being top heavy or bottom heavy is also an extreme no no. Basically, having a balanced frame sets your starting point for learning defense.

From a psychological point of view, practicing your craft. Far too many NBA players practice offense based on video but don't practice defense based on video.  Studying an opponents tendencies and then practicing to take those away is everything. The offensive player has the advantage as only he knows where the ball is really going.  To limit that advantage, you have to practice taking away his tendencies.  Film study must be followed up with practicing to take away those moves.

Rodman did this. He would watch game film of players he was going to go up against and he would shadow defend the tv screen.  Muscle memory is everything no matter what sport you play.

• Like 3

In my opinion - and with my experience playing the game - it comes down to quick feet (since I was a guard) and basically pestering the sh!t  out of them. 

There were a few games - one that I can specifically remember - that our guy - Speedy Claxton - was too quick for D. Williams and Deron simply could not bring the ball up the court against Speedy - he was too quick.  (At the time - Utah had to switch to their SF bringing the ball up since Marvin Williams was slow of foot and easy to fool.) and they won.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

I have always wondered what is the secret to being a good to great defender. You see guys that appear to have the physical tools but can't seem to get it done. Take for instance Russell Westbrook he is a physical specimen but can't play a lick of defense. Same with J. Okafor. That also appears to be the knock on Collins as well. Is it a mental thing or guys are so focused on offense they don't care. Is it something that can be taught? I understand that no one is going to completely shut another player  completely down but it doesn't have to be an easy ride.  

Simple. It's all about effort. There are some things that can be coached with defense, but the majority of it comes from within. You have to WANT to be a great defender. Proof and point was Brandon Jennings in the playoffs for Washington. Jennings is a terrible defender until John Wall got his shit and then Jennings shut his guy down for a few straight plays.

Most guys only think about getting back on offense which leads to terrible defense. You have to want to play defense. You have to want to show your man and your team that you can shut down the best opponent on the court and show em who's boss.

• Like 1

Don't get me started.  I can yap all day.

A good combination of balanced physiology and length as @thecampster stated (Thabo) being very tough (Patrick Beverly) and maybe a little crazy (Tony Allen).  Tony is also a film study champion, the only way Kobe could consider you his most challenging defender. 

Gliding laterally (Butler), proper footwork (Roberson) and active hands (CP3) go a long way too.  Natural court awareness as a help defender is key (Alice).  Gotta be talking to your mates all the time whether you're the first line (Glove) or back (KG)  

It boils down to want-to at the end of the day.  Defensive stalwarts who can't score worth a damn are still looked upon as team leaders much more so than offensive geniuses who embarrass themselves on D.  It's a nightly challenge that only the highest-rated intangible players accept.

Intelligence, team-orientation, willingness to give up your body.  Many of the traits these 3 PT era players lack.  It's no coincidence Leonard and Draymond are the same two cats fighting over the award every year.

Love defenders, the keepers of championship level point differential.  Gotta give Westbrook some props as a ardent detractor: he isn't a standout on or off ball defender but I guess his rebounding bolstered his DBPM to a ridiculous 4.7 (between Green and Gobert). 

31 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Don't get me started.  I can yap all day.

A good combination of balanced physiology and length as @thecampster stated (Thabo) being very tough (Patrick Beverly) and maybe a little crazy (Tony Allen).  Tony is also a film study champion, the only way Kobe could consider you his most challenging defender. 

Gliding laterally (Butler), proper footwork (Roberson) and active hands (CP3) go a long way too.  Natural court awareness as a help defender is key (Alice).  Gotta be talking to your mates all the time whether you're the first line (Glove) or back (KG)  

It boils down to want-to at the end of the day.  Defensive stalwarts who can't score worth a damn are still looked upon as team leaders much more so than offensive geniuses who embarrass themselves on D.  It's a nightly challenge that only the highest-rated intangible players accept.

Intelligence, team-orientation, willingness to give up your body.  Many of the traits these 3 PT era players lack.  It's no coincidence Leonard and Draymond are the same two cats fighting over the award every year.

Love defenders, the keepers of championship level point differential.  Gotta give Westbrook some props as a ardent detractor: he isn't a standout on or off ball defender but I guess his rebounding bolstered his DBPM to a ridiculous 4.7 (between Green and Gobert). 

This right there....have to have want to.