• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford and Atlanta Hawks have come to terms on a buyout

Diesel

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

I don't understand this at all. This is a terrible move. I don't care if he doesn't want to be here. He has value and you don't let that just walk out the door when you're rebuilding.

It's the Schlenk way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

I don't understand this at all. This is a terrible move. I don't care if he doesn't want to be here. He has value and you don't let that just walk out the door when you're rebuilding.

Says who? His contract is a net negative. If Schlenk moved him for another 'Miles Plumlee' deal  i'm sure you would have complained about that.

Just now, GameTime said:

Says who? His contract is a net negative. If Schlenk moved him for another 'Miles Plumlee' deal  i'm sure you would have complained about that.

He already was a Miles Plumlee deal.  His offense has dropped considerably, and he is terrible on defense.

5 minutes ago, GameTime said:

One of these playoff teams would've got desperate for some scoring off the bench. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:
22 minutes ago, SCOTT said:

As I understand it we couldn't officially acquire Jamal without clearing our cap holds and exceptions and that included Illy. So we couldn't buy him out until we actually acquired him

You are correct but I thought it had to be IIyasova or a combination of Sefolosha and Humphries.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, GameTime said:

His contract next year is a huge positive for teams that will be scrambling to create space to sign FAs.

• Premium Member

I can't believe we didn't flip his contract. That contract is like gold next season for almost 2/3 of the league that will have cap issues. This is a braindead move unless there's some FA signing or trade we couldn't do with that cap space in the way.

• Like 3

No one is seeing what this does for us.  Here is my take.

We are reaching the point of the offseason where players can be signed at a good value.  If this gets us the next Millsap, DMC, or Bazemore...maybe two guys like that...then freeing up the space was worth it.  Besides, since we are in rebuild mode we need to sign guys who will help us develop our players.  

Having Crawford sit around until we can trade him for a second round pick doesn't provide much value.  Bringing in guys NOW who could help us push our rebuild forward is much more important.

43 minutes ago, sturt said:

Um. Well, he's effectively giving up some amount of money, so that's the same thing, no?

Say he agrees to 12 million dollar buyout and signs somewhere for 8.  He gains money.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

His contract next year is a huge positive for teams that will be scrambling to create space to sign FAs.

Hey now.  Don't go looking at the big picture.  The narrative here to some squawkers is Schlenk is an idiot that doesn't know what he's doing.  He obviously wants to lose and has no business saavy.  So get on board and be more negative please.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I can't believe we didn't flip his contract. That contract is like gold next season for almost 2/3 of the league that will have cap issues. This is a braindead move unless there's some FA signing or trade we couldn't do with that cap space in the way.

I can't believe we didn't hold it as a trade chip.  Next offseason is when it blossoms into an extremely valuable trade item.  Want $11M shaved off your cap?  Come talk to the Hawks.

Or don't since we are good with paying him most of the contract when he could get us another first next year if we held him.  The difference in salaries is a couple million which means the 1st we could have gotten next year would be a LOT cheaper than the Diamond/late first we just acquired.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I can't believe we didn't hold it as a trade chip.  Next offseason is when it blossoms into an extremely valuable trade item.  Want $11M shaved off your cap?  Come talk to the Hawks.

The only two options that make any sense are these;

A. We have some kind of personnel movement planned that needed that cap space now from the buyout.

or

B. Our GM didn't realize the value of the contract and bought out Crawford just to let him go ring chase somewhere.

For my own sanity and our franchise's future I hope it is the first option.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

There has to be good cheap players out there for you to actually get.

After getting rid of this rare deal, we better land some damn good players at bargain prices.

• Like 1

Couldn't it also be that he knew Crawford didn't want to be here and went ahead and did what was inevitable?  We don't need any more cancers to this team and Jamal definitely realizes we're in a rebuilding mode.  He probably wanted no part of that.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Eddielives said:

Couldn't it also be that he knew Crawford didn't want to be here and went ahead and did what was inevitable?  We don't need any more cancers to this team and Jamal definitely realizes we're in a rebuilding mode.  He probably wanted no part of that.

He isn't valuable.  His contract was.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

The contract was the key. We literally could have sat Crawford on the bench for 82 games. He means nothing. That contract though was like gold.