• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bottom Line. Hawks being run ON THE CHEAP...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Looks like Ressler just wants this investment to make him money.    It was ASG who fought Belkin because Belkin wanted to run the team on the cheap so that he can turn a profit.  As we move forward, don't be surprised if good basketball moves are ignored in lieu of financial freedom.   I mean, it has already happened.

I know nobody here knows the plan... but those of you who know our History... regardless of what owner we have had in place... regardless of what GM came along... Atlanta has always been a place that was hard to attract good free agents.  Even in our best effort, Ferry went out and got two guys who Utah had basically given up on  and made them into stars.   This after BK tried to build from the draft using 5 lottery picks and Smoove.  

Buckle up people.. this looks like a long ride.  Maybe a decade long...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RWF said:

Or maybe we finally have a GM that sees we have to select a franchise player at the top of a draft, and signing good but not great players to $70+ mil contracts to compete for an 8th seed does nothing.

And who is the next big superstar? I don't see it, haven't seen in for the past few years now. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RWF said:

Or maybe we finally have a GM that sees we have to select a franchise player at the top of a draft, and signing good but not great players to $70+ mil contracts to compete for an 8th seed does nothing.

No... It's the former.  We're being run on the cheap.   It's not just Hardaway... look at all the moves.

Sap, Hardaway, D8...

What Free Agents have we really gone after??  Guys that we invited to camp 3 times but never offered a contract to?  Moose?

My prediction is that there will be no significant signings by this franchise for 2 or 3 years.  Schlenk will preach development while we lose 60 games per year.   Draft Lottery parties will be great.  However, when we do get a good player, they will Gordon Heyward us as soon as they can. 

• Like 1

lol I think @Diesel is taking this one too far. I understand the frustration with the upcoming tank season as I'm extremely upset about it too but as much as I want to blame Schlenk we do have to give him more than one summer.

right now we know he's tanking on purpose to put his own stamp on the team. 

So I can admit it's somewhat unfair not to give him atleast next summers off season before we get too upset BUT While it's unfair I wont be able to help it and will likely criticize him until he proves himself.

• Premium Member

It is too early to tell if what Diesel is fearing is true or not. It very easily could be true. God knows the A$G ran this team on the cheap and don't even get me started on how they did the Thrashers. We Thrasher fans still have daggers in our backs.

We did spend money on Dwight and had a competitive enough salary as a team recently. Cleaning out guys that we can't rebuild around is one thing...being cheap for the sake of being cheap is another.

I'm praying that we are doing one and not the other.

43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

No... It's the former.  We're being run on the cheap.   It's not just Hardaway... look at all the moves.

Sap, Hardaway, D8...

What Free Agents have we really gone after??  Guys that we invited to camp 3 times but never offered a contract to?  Moose?

My prediction is that there will be no significant signings by this franchise for 2 or 3 years.  Schlenk will preach development while we lose 60 games per year.   Draft Lottery parties will be great.  However, when we do get a good player, they will Gordon Heyward us as soon as they can. 

I keep saying this over and over.  You do realize that over half the league will be in the luxury tax for 2018 - 2019?  We will probably not go after any big signings this year, but next year teams will probably dump some really good players to sign their better players.  It's best not to cap the team out this year or next year because the Hawks aren't beating Cleveland, Golden State, and about 10 other teams to get a championship. 

The ONLY reason GH left Utah was his relationship with Brad Stevens.  Gorden Heyward is an Allstar he's not going to change the Celtics gentleman's sweep against the Cavs.  Even if they happen to get past the Cavs, the Celtics will def get swept by whoever come out of the west.

Edited by marco102

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I keep saying this over and over.  You do realize that over half the league will be in the luxury tax for 2018 - 2019?  We will probably not go after any big signings this year, but next year teams will probably dump some really good players to sign their better players.  It's best not to cap the team out this year or next year because the Hawks aren't beating Cleveland, Golden State, and about 10 other teams to get a championship. 

The ONLY reason GH left Utah was his relationship with Brad Stevens.  Gorden Heyward is an Allstar he's not going to change the Celtics gentleman's sweep against the Cavs.  Even if they happen to get past the Cavs, the Celtics will def get swept by whoever come out of the west.

Sometimes people don't really listen or look until its too late.

But right now, this is the only path that the Hawks can do at this moment.  We don't have star or firepower to deal with Cavs, C's or Raptors and this team was totally cap out but now we don't have too many bad contracts and since the cap might drop again, there will be opportunities to snatch up decent players.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Sometimes people don't really listen or look until its too late.

But right now, this is the only path that the Hawks can do at this moment.  We don't have star or firepower to deal with Cavs, C's or Raptors and this team was totally cap out but now we don't have too many bad contracts and since the cap might drop again, there will be opportunities to snatch up decent players.

While I agree with a rebuild, I don't think winning 12-14 games is going to get you many FA's the next year no matter the cap situation.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

While I agree with a rebuild, I don't think winning 12-14 games is going to get you many FA's the next year no matter the cap situation.

You constantly play both sides of the fence in a negative fashion.  What is your plan then if no matter what the Gm does, you offer criticism.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do people continue to insist that last year's team would be competitive this year?  Lets take a look at the salaries we would have had to pay

Millsap $30 Mil

Howard $23 Mil

Hardaway $18 mil

Bazemore $17 Mil

Dennis $ 15 Mil

Total $103 Mil for 5 players

With the above 5 players, we would have been over the salary cap.  So if you are the GM, what's your next move?

I haven't seen any of the persistent complainers actually give any legitimate plan for alternative moves that would have led to a championship quality team. I doubt anyone is going to enjoy taking a step back but its necessary imo to move forward in a healthy manner. 

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You constantly play both sides of the fence in a negative fashion.  What is your plan then if no matter what the Gm does, you offer criticism.

I understand how it seems that way.

My point is that the team does need to rebuild, but perhaps Schlenk is going a tad bit too far. Do you want to throw the rookie right into the fire? Does this team need to be the worst team ever in order to get a top pick next year? I'd probably bring Ersan back as the starting PF for this year. You can find players that are productive, but they will not boost your win total by a large number.

Plus, pointing out that few players will sign with a 12-14 win team is not "being negative"... It's just realizing the reality of the situation. 

I was negative at first about the Hawks not getting anything for Sap. They did come away with a first round pick. I'm glad that Howard is gone... I'm not faulting Schlenk with this. But I think Schlenk will be shocked if he puts this team in a situation to win 15 games or under while expecting to land FA's next year. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I understand how it seems that way.

My point is that the team does need to rebuild, but perhaps Schlenk is going a tad bit too far. Do you want to throw the rookie right into the fire? Does this team need to be the worst team ever in order to get a top pick next year? I'd probably bring Ersan back as the starting PF for this year. You can find players that are productive, but they will not boost your win total by a large number.

Plus, pointing out that few players will sign with a 12-14 win team is not "being negative"... It's just realizing the reality of the situation. 

I was negative at first about the Hawks not getting anything for Sap. They did come away with a first round pick. I'm glad that Howard is gone... I'm not faulting Schlenk with this. But I think Schlenk will be shocked if he puts this team in a situation to win 15 games or under while expecting to land FA's next year. 

You do realize that Schlenk is cleaning up Bud's mess right?  He wasn't here when the Hawks should have turned assets like Millsap and Horford into future assets or when he had the opportunity to sign Hardaway at the beginning of the season on the cheap so why do you keep complaining when you know Schlenk was dealt a bad hand and is doing the best he can do with this bad situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You do realize that Schlenk is cleaning up Bud's mess right?  He wasn't here when the Hawks should have turned assets like Millsap and Horford into future assets so why do you keep complaining when you know Schlenk was dealt a bad hand and is doing the best he can do with this bad situation.

So... Schlenk is not competent enough to get some decent players on the front court right nowI ? I'm simply asking that he not throw one of the worst rosters in NBA history out there on the floor this year. At least get a PF that is good enough to keep a 20 year old green rookie on the bench for some time. 

I don't see how  this is asking too much.

• Premium Member
Just now, Hotlanta1981 said:

So... Schlenk is not competent enough to get some decent players on the front court right nowI ? I'm simply asking that he not throw one of the worst rosters in NBA history out there on the floor this year. At least get a PF that is good enough to keep a 20 year old green rookie on the bench for some time. 

I don't see how  this is asking too much.

What's your plan???????

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What's your plan???????

I told you... Bring back Ersan to start at PF this year and bring in ZaZa or someone like that to start at center. Those guys can start and be productive, but will not add enough wins to keep you from getting a lotto pick.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I told you... Bring back Ersan to start at PF this year and bring in ZaZa or someone like that to start at center. Those guys can start and be productive, but will not add enough wins to keep you from getting a lotto pick.

How is that a significantly more competitive roster and Zaza wasn't leaving Golden state unless you tripled his salary.

1 minute ago, CP61 said:

You don't invest all he invested to be cheap on the players. Ressler is the guy who said Millsap would be back at any cost. Clearly Schlenk convinced him that his plan was better.

What would have been the point of bringing Millsap back????

• Like 1