• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bottom Line. Hawks being run ON THE CHEAP...

Diesel

6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do people continue to insist that last year's team would be competitive this year?  Lets take a look at the salaries we would have had to pay

Millsap $30 Mil

Howard $23 Mil

Hardaway $18 mil

Bazemore $17 Mil

Dennis $ 15 Mil

Total $103 Mil for 5 players

With the above 5 players, we would have been over the salary cap.  So if you are the GM, what's your next move?

Now it is not possible to be over the cap as we have no remaining players with Bird rights.  Payroll will have to be no more than $99 million.

• Premium Member
Just now, Watchman said:

Now it is not possible to be over the cap as we have no remaining players with Bird rights.  Payroll will have to be no more than $99 million.

Good... so we won't over spend like the rest of the league

1 hour ago, parfait said:

If not giving a crippling contract to an aging second tier star forward means my owner is cheap, then I want him to be cheap.

If not giving mad money to an average shooting guard is cheap, then I want my owner to be cheap.

Calling Mr. Schlenk. Clean-up in aisle six!

Paying $12.5 million for a worthless center means my owner/GM is stupid and not necessarily cheap.

Edited by Watchman

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Bud's mess?  Slinky's mess.

Horford leaving for nothing...Signing Howard and later don't want him.  Not trading Millsap at the deadline.  Not signing Hardaway at a discount at the beginning of the season

Just now, Peoriabird said:

At least its only $12.5 Mil and not $80 mil

With a micro-fraction of the productivity.  Since we would not be paying $80 million in one season, at least make the comparison legitimate.  $37.5 million.

• Premium Member
Just now, Watchman said:

With a micro-fraction of the productivity.  Since we would not be paying $80 million in one season, at least make the comparison legitimate.  $37.5 million.

Why can't you guys accept that our players out priced themselves.  Millsap isn't worth $30 Mil per year and Hardaway isn't worth $18 mil per year.  And regardless of how you felt about Howard's value with the Hawks, Bud did not want him here!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Horford leaving for nothing...Signing Howard and later don't want him.  Not trading Millsap at the deadline.  Not signing Hardaway at a discount at the beginning of the season

Horford didn't want to be here, and we're not missing out on anything.  

Howard was a mistake, but I can understand being tired of being outrebounded in every game.  

What would we have gotten for Millsap last year?  

Hardaway was open to a discount rate?  I hadn't heard that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Watchman said:

Horford didn't want to be here, and we're not missing out on anything.  

Then he should have been traded at the deadline

Howard was a mistake, but I can understand being tired of being outrebounded in every game.  

Bud doesn't value rebounding

What would we have gotten for Millsap last year?  

You kinda need to explore your options to find out

Hardaway was open to a discount rate?  I hadn't heard that.

I'm pretty sure his asking price was a lot less before his break out season last year.

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud doesn't value rebounding?  Everyone knows you can't win if you give up multiple possessions because of bad rebounding. Furthermore, we didn't have to accept Charlotte's "deal."

Nice suppositions on your part, but not based on anything concrete.

How would anyone know at the previous trade deadline that Horford would refuse a very good contract offer and more money?  Did you think that would happen at that point in time?

How would anyone know Hardaway was going to have a "breakout season?"

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Watchman said:

Bud doesn't value rebounding?  Everyone knows you can't win if you give up multiple possessions because of bad rebounding. Furthermore, we didn't have to accept Charlotte's "deal."

Nice suppositions on your part, but not based on anything concrete.

How would anyone know at the previous trade deadline that Horford would refuse a very good contract offer and more money?  Did you think that would happen at that point in time?

How would anyone know Hardaway was going to have a "breakout season?"

Never mind...Go back to complaining then. :ahf2:

13 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all what difference does it make and secondly I'm pretty sure we will sign at least 4-5 more players.  Hopefully 1 being that young center from Miami and some cheap young players like Shabazz

This franchise has enough going against it right now. It surely doesn't need being the worst team ever on its plate also.

Either way, good players aren't signing with this team next year. If Schlenk expects to sign good players in 2018 he will be in for a wake up call.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 1

Look, Diesel is right. 

Even when we were a playoff team 9 years in a row we couldn't attract the big FA we needed to put us over the top. We were stuck hoping Joe Johnson and Al Horford turned the corner in to elite status but it never happened.

Well once we stink on purpose we will only make it harder to sign anyone that truly wants to contend right now. You typically have to win a little bit first so FAs can imagine their role on your team. It's why's Minnesota is finally starting to get FAs but not Philly yet. 

Here is what's said about that. People keep saying this is only a 3 year process, but ask yourself how long Minny took to be decent last year? Ask yourself how long Philly still sucks, ask yourself How many years of bad basketball it took for GS to get lucky with an undersized shooting guard to become a phenom. 

None of those processes took 3 seasons. Most took at least 6 or more years. Philly is still counting they will probably keep sucking for another year at least and they got a binafide guy in Embiid to speed up the rebuild.

So people assuming we will be right back in the mix are wrong. When you commit yourself as a franchise to NOT winning or fielding the best possible team, there is NO veteran that actually gives a shit that will touch you. We aren't signing any big names just because we have the space to do so. That's like assuming the nerdy loner dude in HS is going to prom with the hot cheerleader just because he is available and his parents have money. 

Nope, she will happily go with the football player that smashing 2 other girls because at the end of the day, the league is a popularity contest.

Guys want to play with other stars, not be apart of a rebuilding project.

So here is to hoping that Dennis, Prince and Collins are talented enough to make FAs look our way. Otherwise we're waiting for rookie draft picks to add weight, learn defense, find their pro identity, develop jump shots, etc before we become an attractive franchise again. 

But hey, at least we can get our hair cuts at the games now. #GoHawks !!!

Edited by RedDawg#8

@RedDawg#8 don't forget Philly had some awful coaches as did Minnesota plus they had no recent history of success to lean on. Plus they had a lot of turnover in management and a ton of injuries. We seem to be able to extract more from a player than what is expected and we have a proven winner at coach with a system players love. Your point is certainly valid but I feel like our situation is better than some of those other teams were / are. 

• Like 1