• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have a feeling the Hawks are going to be 3rd team in Melo to Houston

Admin

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I don't see Capella being included in anything as he is their main big.  Nene at this point in his career is 15 minutes a night guy ... If they trade Capella they take a step backwards as they won't have any cap to go after another good big.

When you get big eyes, you make sacrifices you wouldn't ordinarily make. It very well might take giving up Capella to get a deal done. So it may come down to how badly do they want to get a deal done. Right now, it's sounding like the answer to that is "pretty damn badly."

• Admin

Anderson makes 

$19,578,  $20,421,  $21,264,637

over the next three years ... we should not be taking that on.  He is a one dimensional player ... for that one dimension is really good at but I don't want to be stuck with that salary for a guy who will end up eventually on the bench

• Like 2

• Premium Member

If you can relieve yourself of two bad contracts, AND simultaneously ACQUIRE some asset like a Capella or another 1st rounder (ostensibly, HOU is going to be in pretty dire straits fairly soon given the age of these guys they're spending big bucks to pick up)...

That's a huge win. I'm in.

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

- Anderson

- Ariza

- Gordon

- Capella

- 2020 1st

- 2022 1st

- 2024 1st

- Hartenstein (draft and stash that was projected by many to be 1st rounder)

- Llull (regarded by some to be best PG in Europe)

- About 5-6 other draft-and-stashees, and of course some 2nd round pick fodder like any other team

Out of all of those... What would take to be compensated for taking on Anderson's contract? Don't forget you have to give some asset to NYK as well for trading Melo.

I think being one of the few teams with cap space this season and next is more valuable than any draft stashes and first round picks 4 years from now. I would want the equivalent of almost 2-3 first round picks in the near term to take Anderson and not have any cap space. We wouldn't have cap space for Gordon (unless we dump Plumlee somehow) if we took on Anderson, so that rules him out. HOU is highly unlikely to trade Capella, so that rules him out. Ariza is an expiring deal, maybe worth a first round pick to a contender, but not us. We also would need to dump salary to take him on. Hartenstein is a mid-2nd round draft pick, so nothing too valuable. So now we are looking at a 30 year old backup PG and some first round picks 3-6 years from now.

If we are able to dump Plumlee in this deal, then that changes things.

17 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Anderson makes 

$19,578,  $20,421,  $21,264,637

over the next three years ... we should not be taking that on.  He is a one dimensional player ... for that one dimension is really good at but I don't want to be stuck with that salary for a guy who will end up eventually on the bench

Damn!  Years 1 and 2 are bargains.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

If we are able to dump Plumlee in this deal, then that changes things.

Right.

And as I just posted in another thread, I'm increasingly suspicious that the reason Schlenk said that adding 3 more bigs would give us 6 is.... he knows something we don't.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

From 1:24 pm Woj report:

...No deal was imminent Wednesday, but the Knicks and Rockets are confident that they have a willing third-team trade partner, the sources said.

The fourth team was needed to move a particular player contract that neither the Knicks nor Rockets could or would accept in the deal, league sources said....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19972743/new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-working-multiple-carmelo-anthony-trade-scenarios

So, if we're the third team, this would suggest our participation is conditional on moving a contract that neither the Knicks nor Rockets want.

Plumlee?

Seems reasonable to me.

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

From 1:24 pm Woj report:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19972743/new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-working-multiple-carmelo-anthony-trade-scenarios

So, if we're the third team, this would suggest our participation is conditional on moving a contract that neither the Knicks nor Rockets want.

Plumlee?

Seems reasonable to me.

We have 20 in cap and that gives us a lot of flexibility; makes sense we are one of the teams.

• Premium Member

Hard to say exactly how much space we have until the Crawford info comes out, actually. But pretty sure we've got some cushion there that could be helpful in a trade if we wanted to use it. My guess is, we just don't want to use it, and that that's why we want someone to take Plumlee off our hands. My further guess is, as-is, our part in the trade essentially is Baze for Anderson, and we're getting some incentive for accepting Anderson... and then maybe Ariza is the sticking point... we're willing to take his one year, but want, instead of using our cap room, to send out Plumlee.

• Premium Member

I do not want Ryan Anderson on this team. He will block Collins and be Bobby Sura 2.0 except stuck on a horrible deal that would kill our ability to sign an actual star talent in the upcoming years. Hell no. They don't have enough first rounders in the world for me to swallow that crap.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

I call BS.

Don't know if it's Schlenk's BS or C-Viv's BS, but that's BS.

Crawford can't emerge from this actually making MORE money than if the trade never went down.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sturt said:

Hard to say exactly how much space we have until the Crawford info comes out, actually. But pretty sure we've got some cushion there that could be helpful in a trade if we wanted to use it. My guess is, we just don't want to use it, and that that's why we want someone to take Plumlee off our hands. My further guess is, as-is, our part in the trade essentially is Baze for Anderson, and we're getting some incentive for accepting Anderson... and then maybe Ariza is the sticking point... we're willing to take his one year, but want, instead of using our cap room, to send out Plumlee.

It shows roughly 16.3 million in practical cap space at Spotrac; which has changed for some reason since I looked at it earlier today when it was showing as 20 million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

NY Daily News:

"A deal that would end the Carmelo Anthony era in New York and reunite the All-Star forward with Mike D'Antoni in Houston "is at the two-yard line," a person familiar with the trade negotiations told the Daily News."

I really hope we're not taking on Anderson. Even if it means getting rid of Plumlee. This whole flexibility thing goes out the window it we're stuck with that contract for the next 3 years. I sure as hell don't want him taking minutes from Collins and if we must get a vet to mentor Collins, he sure as shit shouldn't be the one to do it.