Eddie Jones

Caron Butler

Heat Receive:

Zydrunas Illgauskas

Jacque Vaughn

--------------------------------

Trade ID on RealGM : 1421587

--------------------------------

Why Atlanta would do it: Even though we hate to give up Rahim, he deserves a change of scenery and Boozer gives us the type of PF that would be perfect next to Theo. He can clean the glass as well as any PF in the game and his offensive game is improving. Eddie Jones in the backcourt with JT immediately makes JT a better defender and drastically decreases the guard penetration that other teams get on us. Caron Butler is the SF of the future for us or could even become our PG with JT as the 6th man in a Bobby Jackson type role. Right now he would split time with Jax at SF.

Why Cleveland would do it: Getting rid of a guy that Silas really doesnt like and who has had some injury problems annually it seems would be great for them. Losing Boozer hurts but they desperately need a player in the post that can put points on the board and SAR is as good as they come at PF in this league when it comes to scoring and his rebounding is very steady. The future first rounder is also attractive to a young team like the Cavs.

Why Miami would do it: They have been shopping that pair around the league for quite some time now and are obviously desperate to get rid of Jones so that they can get their cap money a little earlier than they are supposed to because giving up Butler in the deal is the only way to do it. Adding a 7'3 center who when healthy has been called the 2nd best center in the league by many league insiders would be great alonside Grant. This year this trade might seem to push them back a little but the early cap room will help them to add the players that they need a year or two earlier than what is possible now.

I know that the Cavs would be hesitant to give up Boozer, but honestly since they want SAR so bad what would they end up doing with Boozer? I think that we wouldnt know what to do with a PF that could rebound like Boozer does. He is a good defender too and he andn Theo would make one [censored] of a defensive frontcourt. Just imagine our lineup this year:

JT/DD

Eddie Jones/Dion Glover/Hansen

Caron Butler/Jax/Diaw

Carlos Boozer/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

CC would have to go on the IR and realistically we would probably make one more move to trade someone in the backcourt to clear a little more playing time for Diaw.

We are still likely to get a high lotto pick this year so that should make us better next year. What do you guys think Doc or the Czar could do with that team?

• Premium Member

The good points...

Better SG in Jones.

The problems I see:

Boozer is a good complimentary player but he would not be good next to Theo. We have been thinking about who compliments Theo all wrong. Boozer is just another Small PF. If we truly want to compliment Theo... We need to get a guy like:

Stoudamire or Kwame or Kato or J. Oneal or Ben Wallace or even Swift.

What I am saying is that Theo needs a size guy with Strength beside him. Not just a regular Pf. Theo also needs somebody who can match his defense. Somebody who can be brought in that can match him defensively.

Problem #2

The glut at SF/SG.

Under your proposal, we would have: Jones, Diaw, Jax, Hansen, Butler, CC, and Glover all occupying the 2/3 position. That's too many people who can play playing the same position. We would need to trade a lot of those guys for: PG Help.

Problem #3

Building around JT.

This franchise should not build around JT. Bringing Jones in is good if we plan on using him as a complimentary scorer/defender in a playoff run. But to use him to help JT is a plan that is flawed. Namely because JT is not a PG and we should try to move away from thoughts of having him exist as one. Also, Jones' contract is far too long for a team that is not in immediate position to contend. If we were the Lakers, Kings, or Mavs, Jones would be a good player to have. Mainly because he can play and he brings a lot to the game and his contract is acceptable because they are on a title hunt. But to get Jones' contract on a team that's headed for rebuild is bad. His contract will hinder us down the line and his skills will not be as high in 2-3 years.

Problem #4

The uncertainty of Caron Butler. Butler was a star last year. Headed toward allstar. Then he got injured. The question is can he come back? I don't know. He might be the new LJ. Remember LJ in his first 2 years. He looked like he would be the most Dominant PF in the game for years to come. However, a back injury destroyed his lift and he had to reinvent his game. Is this Butler? I don't know?

Those are the pros and cons. So as I see it, it's not worth persueing. I didn't get into the offense of Boozer... But that's a concern as well.