• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Nicolas Brussino

Jody23

5 hours ago, sturt said:

I'd rather think his AST numbers go up.... if he's scoring more than 18, I'm afraid that will be indication we're not moving the ball.

Same here. But I wouldn't hate 20/8 from him.

2 SGs, a point SF, and 2 stretch 4s would be a pretty wild and interesting lineup to strategically run out there on occasion. 

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, hazer said:

Same here. But I wouldn't hate 20/8 from him.

That would be a combo of stats that I can't find in Atlanta Hawks history... not Mookie, not Doc, not Pistol Pete. Maybe I'm missing someone, but suffice it to say, that would put Dennis no doubt in a position to be at the top of the list of all-time Hawks point guards. There is only the St. Louis Hawks' Lenny Wilkins, who did 20 and 8 in the 67-68 season when the team finished 1st in the Western Division, just before the team moved southeast.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

That would be a combo of stats that I can't find in Atlanta Hawks history... not Mookie, not Doc, not Pistol Pete. Maybe I'm missing someone, but suffice it to say, that would put Dennis no doubt in a position to be at the top of the list of all-time Hawks point guards. There is only the St. Louis Hawks' Lenny Wilkins, who did 20 and 8 in the 67-68 season when the team finished 1st in the Western Division, just before the team moved southeast.

At 23, in his first year as a starter, already came pretty close to that putting up 18/6.3. That's why I have a problem with a certain poster saying Dennis is a bottom tier PG, and another someone calling him mediocre. He's not an All-Star (yet), but very well could be by age 27 if he keeps going. Bottom tier and mediocre my a$$ :deke:

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, sturt said:

How does his 18/6.3 from last season rank right now in Hawks history? 

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Pistol Pete

Lenny Wilkens

Joe Johnson

and although he only played in 17 games in 2001 - 02 as a Hawk . . . Toni Kukoc

Both Mookie Blaylock and Jason Terry averaged low 17 ppg, but over 7 assists.

So pretty non-mediocre rare air then :approved:

1 hour ago, hazer said:

So pretty non-mediocre rare air then :approved:

Looking at pure PPG is not the best measure of a scoring. You can simply take a lot of shots a game and score more PPG. This is why you see bad players putting up high ppg on bad teams. Mookie Blayock's highest usage of his career was 22.8 and Dennis's Lowest usage for the last 3 season was 27. I'm on the fence about Dennis, scoring PG's are becoming a dime a dozen. This is the perfect year for us to figure out what to do with Dennis, if he prove he can impact winning in more ways than scoring keep him. If he trumps up his value as a high volume scorer on a bad team then capitalize and move him.

I don't love Dennis and I don't hate him; I'm pretty much indifferent to him, and the thing I value most about him is his desire to be great and not being afraid of the moment. I just hope in his mind being great isn't (Kyrie Light) scoring 20+ PPG and bring nothing else to the table.  That sort of player really wins you nothing, but get's overvalued by the league and should be moved. You have to move them while the rest of the league still believes they have potential. Brandon Knight, Eric Bledsoe, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Damon Stoudamire the list goes on and on and on.

Mediocre is relative to the time your in. PG stats are inflated because they are no longer playing the same role similar to QB passing stats in the NFL. Go through the list of starting PG's in the league and tell me which ones where Dennis has a clear advantage? I think you'll find he is quite mediocre when you look at it from that perspective. I still think he has a chance to be a top 10 PG, so I'm willing to wait. We are rebuilding anyway, so there's no hurry.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

This time last year, there was some more than palpable nervousness around these parts as to whether Dennis would be able to step up and actually assert himself as a solid PG.

Easy to forget, I think, just how he keeps maturing each year and improving his game. Had he played college through his senior year, he would've been a rookie last season, being six months older than Prince.

Nah.

We have very very good reason to be very very bullish on Dennis. He may prove to be elite if he keeps this going.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Looking at pure PPG is not the best measure of a scoring. You can simply take a lot of shots a game and score more PPG. This is why you see bad players putting up high ppg on bad teams. Mookie Blayock's highest usage of his career was 22.8 and Dennis's Lowest usage for the last 3 season was 27. I'm on the fence about Dennis, scoring PG's are becoming a dime a dozen. This is the perfect year for us to figure out what to do with Dennis, if he prove he can impact winning in more ways than scoring keep him. If he trumps up his value as a high volume scorer on a bad team then capitalize and move him.

I don't love Dennis and I don't hate him; I'm pretty much indifferent to him, and the thing I value most about him is his desire to be great and not being afraid of the moment. I just hope in his mind being great isn't (Kyrie Light) scoring 20+ PPG and bring nothing else to the table.  That sort of player really wins you nothing, but get's overvalued by the league and should be moved. You have to move them while the rest of the league still believes they have potential. Brandon Knight, Eric Bledsoe, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Damon Stoudamire the list goes on and on and on.

Mediocre is relative to the time your in. PG stats are inflated because they are no longer playing the same role similar to QB passing stats in the NFL. Go through the list of starting PG's in the league and tell me which ones where Dennis has a clear advantage? I think you'll find he is quite mediocre when you look at it from that perspective. I still think he has a chance to be a top 10 PG, so I'm willing to wait. We are rebuilding anyway, so there's no hurry.

His assist nimbers are better than Kyrie's, it's not just about PPG. Dennis is top 15 in assists in his first year starting. I agree, I don't love the dude but definitely don't hate him. I'm not indifferent, I actually like him and am stoked about his potential. He still has a lot of hard work to do to reach it, but seems to have the skeelz and fire to get there.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

His assist nimbers are better than Kyrie's, it's not just about PPG. Dennis is top 15 in assists in his first year starting. I agree, I don't love the dude but definitely don't hate him. I'm not indifferent, I actually like him and am stoked about his potential. He still has a lot of hard work to do to reach it, but seems to have the skeelz and fire to get there.

In different is probably the wrong word. If we are going through the trouble of tanking than we need to make sure we secure a superstar player we can build around first and foremost. I believe coach Bud is too good of a coach to get a top 5 pick in any draft, and I do believe we will finish just outside of the playoffs as currently constructed.  I saw Doc Rivers win 41 games and just miss the playoffs in 1999-2000 season with Darrell Amrstrong, Ron Mercer, Bo Outlaw, Ben Wallace and John Amaechi as his starting lineup. He won coach of the year that year, and I don't think he holds a candle to Bud as a coach. The east is weak folks and like that Doc rivers team we will be good defensively.

I gave that long wind up to say, Dennis may have to be sacrificed to get a top 5 pick, and I'm 100% ok with that because I can find another quality starting PG that's in the 13 - 20 range amongst his position group. It's much harder to find a superstar, so we need to do everything in our power to pump up Dennis' value. If our coaching staff and front office believes Dennis can either be a superstar or attract a superstar than keep him, but if not we are right back on the treadmill if Dennis is our best player.  I just don't want to see us fall in love with our talent, until it has no value like we did with Josh Smith, Marvin, Childress etc.... I didn't want to tank, but now that we're doing it less do it right.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't understand the concern for Dennis. We have so many other areas to be truly concerned about. I have some concerns about Dennis with his wanting to shoot too much at times and turnovers from nowhere but he's like a 3 out of 10 on the concern level. Every other position warrants more concern.