• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Let's settle It (Tankers vs non Tankers

sillent

On 7/24/2017 at 9:18 PM, hazer said:

I don't think we're "tanking", I think we're "re-tooling" and that by "competitive" Schlenk means "in the hunt for the last playoff spot" late in the season. That being said, I think the Hawks will most likely miss it and land in 11th with 30 wins.

12 hours ago, sillent said:

So Tankers include Lurker, Diesel, Alex, Hazer and I'm sure there's more...

I clearly stated that I'm not a tanker. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sillent said:

So Tankers include Lurker, Diesel, Alex, Hazer and I'm sure there's more...

So far Non Tankers Benhillboy and myself but again I'm sure there's more...

Suggestions for a good reward/punishment? 

Maybe you should re-word it to mean who thinks we make the playoffs and who thinks we won't? The thread title lumps us into tankers vs non-tankers, but then your wager is about making the playoffs or not. You can try to not "tank" but still miss the playoffs. Exemplified by your own statement that they'll end up somewhere between 5th and 11th.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

For years fans complained about being on the treadmill and now fans are saying we need to stay competitive and get 38 wins... I'm tired of monotony.  This team needs to tank so that we can get some talent on this team to be excited about.  Staying middle of the pack is the worst place to be in the NBA.

Honestly, I hope we come in dead last and secure a top 3 pick.

Tanking puts us into a place where we have to develop talent and hope that they stay.   There are no advantages for developed talent staying these days.  So it's possible that we develope a guy... He feels the call of championship wish and he Paul George's us.   Then we're back where we started.  That's the new treadmill because the CBA doesn't help teams keep their own FAs.   So.. the plan to get rid of all the talent and not take value back for them is Dumb.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Diesel said:

The problem here Silent is that we have different definitions of tanking.   So... What are you proposing?  Are you proposing putting a number of wins on this season and say.. if we make this many wins.. then the non-tankers are right and if we don't then the tankers are?  Because even if you do that... many non-tankers will say.. just because they lost that many games don't mean that they were tanking.    So first... you have to establish... a set line.  then you can decide who is on what side. 

I won't necessarily put a number on it because even those guessing 31 could be right ( & with the WEAK East that could/could not give us a playoff chance). I believe the East might set history this year as the worst conference ever. That being said Tankers are more of those that blantantly think we are built to lose this year and will not compete for a playoff spot.   

11 hours ago, hazer said:

Maybe you should re-word it to mean who thinks we make the playoffs and who thinks we won't? The thread title lumps us into tankers vs non-tankers, but then your wager is about making the playoffs or not. You can try to not "tank" but still miss the playoffs. Exemplified by your own statement that they'll end up somewhere between 5th and 11th.

I just misread your comments but I commend your answer and take on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

Tanking puts us into a place where we have to develop talent and hope that they stay.   There are no advantages for developed talent staying these days.  So it's possible that we develope a guy... He feels the call of championship wish and he Paul George's us.   Then we're back where we started.  That's the new treadmill because the CBA doesn't help teams keep their own FAs.   So.. the plan to get rid of all the talent and not take value back for them is Dumb.

True. If you get rid of all your talent and we kept all our young talent accept for THJ and in that case it was reasonable although I atleast would have offered him $48 mil earlier. His biggest knock that might've cost him is he is not necessarily a team ball player and that's what our system is getting built on.

Yes Dennis is a better passer than most think which I think will be displayed alot more during this season for those questioning DS17 after my statement above. 

And I guess we were not as Dumb as a team like the 76ers since we kept all of our young talent. Getting rid of all the talent would be done and also what I'd consider to be tanking.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, sillent said:

True. If you get rid of all your talent and we kept all our young talent accept for THJ and in that case it was reasonable although I atleast would have offered him $48 mil earlier. His biggest knock that might've cost him is he is not necessarily a team ball player and that's what our system is getting built on.

Yes Dennis is a better passer than most think which I think will be displayed alot more during this season for those questioning DS17 after my statement above. 

And I guess we were not as Dumb as a team like the 76ers since we kept all of our young talent. Getting rid of all the talent would be done and also what I'd consider to be tanking.

I think you highly overestimate our talent.    We have some talent, but it's nothing in comparison to the league.   Dennis is not an elite PG... He ranks about 17 and that's with a guy like Paul Millsap there to take the pressure off of him.   This year, teams will play Dennis knowing that he wants to drive.  Without being a passing threat and with no other real scorers and with no 3 pt shot, Dennis will be mediocre or worse. 

• Premium Member

I'm definitely NOT a tanker, as I wanted to stay the course and get Millsap back. I hate this kind of 'strategy' or whatever BS this firesale was, but i think Schlenk is doing just that. 'Being competitive' might as well mean 'to lose hard-fought games' in competitive fashion. This team will be HORRIBLE.

I'm not a tanker, so I won't spend a dime on the Hawks until they're back in the playoffs. I love good basketball, so I'd much rather watch the Nuggets right now. They could win 60 if they manage to get Irving to sign with them. Millsap-Jokic might be the best frontcourt in the entire NBA.

The Hawks? 11-71.

20 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I'm definitely NOT a tanker, as I wanted to stay the course and get Millsap back. I hate this kind of 'strategy' or whatever BS this firesale was, but i think Schlenk is doing just that. 'Being competitive' might as well mean 'to lose hard-fought games' in competitive fashion. This team will be HORRIBLE.

I'm not a tanker, so I won't spend a dime on the Hawks until they're back in the playoffs. I love good basketball, so I'd much rather watch the Nuggets right now. They could win 60 if they manage to get Irving to sign with them. Millsap-Jokic might be the best frontcourt in the entire NBA.

The Hawks? 11-71.

Is Paul Millsap another word for LeBron James? Bruh. I think this team will be bad but you're being insane.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Watchman said:

If you're not interested in winning, that is my definition of tanking.  If we really were trying to be "competitive" perhaps it could be overlooked, but this team will be far from competitive.  We are tanking.

I think that is a fair way of defining tanking.  Just have to all be aware there are multiple different definitions of tanking as we talk about it.  This one is pretty broad and encompasses some very different team building approaches that involve not wanting to win at a particular moment in time.

The tanking question is irrelevant at this point unless there are major roster changes still to come.  The team made a clear determination to get younger and to retain payroll flexibility going forward.  In doing so they lost their best player.  It would be surprising even to the most ardent Hawks fan if the team did anything more than squeak into the playoffs.  

Given the state of the Eastern Conference, getting into the playoffs is a very low bar to hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

'Being competitive' might as well mean 'to lose hard-fought games' in competitive fashion. This team will be HORRIBLE.

The Hawks? 11-71.

That's exactly what Schlenk means by "competitive." He also said it entails being in the hunt for the final playoff spot late in the season.

Hawks won't resemble anything "good", but they won't be HORRIBLE. I expect almost triple that win total (30), as do the oddsmakers who do this for a living.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

The Hawks? 11-71.

Tankers.... Non-tankers.... REALIST. 

The season has to play out.  Major injuries sometimes force your hand and accelerate a GMs thinking on "tanking."  Our record versus the Nets, Bulls, Mavs, and Knicks will be telling, too.  All in a race to the bottom.  Or is it the top?

35 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

The season has to play out.  Major injuries sometimes force your hand and accelerate a GMs thinking on "tanking."  Our record versus the Nets, Bulls, Mavs, and Knicks will be telling, too.  All in a race to the bottom.  Or is it the top?

I'm wondering if the run up to the trade deadline will be to showcase the trade pieces (Gaze, Belli, Ilyasovavichkovchev, Moose, Bumlee), groom The Baptist on D, see how close/far they are from the 8th seed, then selling heavy at the deadline and running the rook out there and racing to the bottom.

• Like 1