• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kyrie Irving to ATL - ESPN Trade Ideas

hawkster911

• Premium Member

Yes, I exited the discussion... but... side bar, and as a Marshall alum, it is my sworn duty to make sure that this kind of distortion doesn't breathe anymore oxygen than has already been breathed...

2017-07-27_1324.png

D'Antoni is an original. He was a highly-regarded head coach in Europe... Italy, specifically, and appropriately so (hence his last name)... for many years. Some even considered him elite. And yes, I claim to be the authority on this because unlike most people, the name and person Mike D'Antoni has been a known quantity to me since he was in college, and with Russell Lee (a 1st round pick of the Bucks), Ty Collins, Randy Noll and others, threatening the established NCAA powers (at least, in the regular season... laid eggs in the post-season, unfortunately). I was probably 6 years old the first time I heard of him. I'm 54 now.

He is not part of anyone's coaching tree except Lewis. His dad.

Who incidentally, coached high school hoops in WV for decades and is a legend there.

He's 103 years old, btw, and getting ready to coach one more time, per this recent article from the Beckley WV paper...

http://www.register-herald.com/sports/lewis-d-antoni-to-coach-one-more-time/article_2429e61b-efef-5af8-aed7-188f6a5af663.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Golden State did an incredible job, but lets face it, they got crazy lucky with those draft picks. 

Kind of like Hawks just got lucky with their very first Schlenk pick Collins huh? Already off to a lucky start :approved:

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hazer said:

The "many of us you speak of" includes me. And I agree about Atlanta and free agents. Then again, Golden State used to not attract free agents either. Things change.

In prior years of not attracting free agents, Atlanta wasn't the hip hop capital of the world. Wasn't Hollywood South. Didn't have what may turn out to be the badest-a$$ arena in the NBA. Didn't have stable ownership including the well-liked-by-players Grant Hill, that wasn't the awful Atlanta Spirit or Time Warner. Didn't have the high BBIQ, high character, Spurs-style team ball culture now in place with Pop's right-hand man and COTY Budenholzer at the helm. Didn't have the Atlanta U rep of improving player's careers. Didn't have a GM who helped build the Warriors into its current dynasty.

This is WHY FAs weren't previously attracted to Atlanta, and why they may consider it now. Oakland??? Who the hell wanted to go to Oakland??? No one, until recently.

Things change. 

Golden State never had problems attracted free agents??  San Francisco is a championship city.  The Giants, the 49ers, and the Warriors had a history of winning championships... not to mention the As and the Raiders.   They have more than 1 news outlet.  They have always been able to get free agents to come when they had money... they just made dumb mistakes.  Our problem is that we had good teams, good money, and free agents still didn't want to be here. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, hazer said:

I'm almost 50 and have been following the Hawks since 1980. I've been through Hawks rebuilds...

Sorry I left you out.  You can join our old man club!  

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Golden State never had problems attracted free agents??  San Francisco is a championship city.  The Giants, the 49ers, and the Warriors had a history of winning championships... not to mention the As and the Raiders.   They have more than 1 news outlet.  They have always been able to get free agents to come when they had money... they just made dumb mistakes.  Our problem is that we had good teams, good money, and free agents still didn't want to be here. 

Golden State has not been a haven for free agents at all over the last 20 years until they got this current crew together.  They have never been able to draw elite free agents.  Very different from the LAL.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Prior to this run, the golden state warriors had a hard time attracting free agents. And the Warriors across the bay in Oakland is not the Giants and 49ers over in San Francisco.

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Seriously conflating Oakland with San Francisco just because a small body of water separates them is like conflating the New Jersey Nets with the New York Knicks.......there's a huuuuuuuuuuge difference in market, fan support, and prestige.  The only worse comment one could make is saying the Clippers are on par with the Lakers.

The 49ers have attracted free agents and got a shiny new state of the art stadium....The Raiders have attracted and overpaid over the hill players and are moving to Vegas because they can't get a new stadium in Oakland.  The Giants have a new stadium and championships in almost every odd year......the A's have one of the oldest stadiums in all sports that they share with the soon departing Raiders and had to invent moneyball because they couldn't even afford stars.  The Warriors, with their most successful run since the 1970s.....are abandoning Oakland for San Francisco.  Oakland is not San Francisco.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Golden State has not been a haven for free agents at all over the last 20 years until they got this current crew together.  They have never been able to draw elite free agents.  Very different from the LAL.

And very different from the Giants and 49ers across the bay in San Fran. Oakland is no San Francisco .

• Premium Member

Golden State had bad leadership, but they were still able (more able than us) to attract free agents.

Check out Chris Mullins account

Golden State doesn' t have the issue with fan acceptance or news outlets that we do.  Plus they were a team that had already won a finals. 

BTW.

Historically, the Warriors were originally in San Fran.. They moved to Oakland.. in 2018, they are moving back to San Fran.  

Historically, they were originally in Philadelphia.  Then moved to San Francisco then Oakland.  They've spent more years in both Philadelphia and Oakland than they ever did in San Francisco.   Also, they never adapted the name "Oakland" in their name like they did their past cities, why?  Oh, because of the downgrade in perception and market, they even included the fricking bridge between Oakland and San Fran as their logo so as to try to still associate themselves with their richer cousins.  Now that they've built up enough cache they are abandoning Oakland just like the Raiders.

And if Derek Fisher, Austin Croshere and Corey Maggette are evidence of them being a better free agent draw than Atlanta......yikes.

• Like 3

So Kyrie isn't coming but I've been thinking on it -- How do you build a contending roster around Dennis Schröder? 

I've touched on this before, but the first step for Dennis IMO is going to be getting stronger. When he attacks the rim he doesn't get to the line enough. His finishing numbers are also pretty mediocre around the basket. I think both of those are related to his ability to take on contact. He also has to get better from 3 where he's not too good. If he plays like he played in the playoffs then ignore all of that, he's good. Though I think some of that playoff performance was just him being amped to go against John Wall and it's hard to bring that kind of intensity every game. 

The next step is gonna be getting a secondary initiator. Dennis is probably never gonna be a Chris Paul or John Wall floor general type. That's fine, IT isn't either. But they have Horford who can run the offense too. Kyrie with Lebron is similar. So is Steph with Draymond.

Also probably gonna need a guy who can create offense for themselves whether that's Collins becoming a great faceup PF or a guy that we draft like Michael Porter Jr (if he shows growth at Mizzou. Right now he can get his jumper vs anyone but not really a guy that'll take you to the basket like KD, PG, or Kawhi can). You have Dennis and Collins PnR and then when that fails you have a guy who can just go get his. That's an element that was missing from the 2015 squad.

In general, the 2012-13 Nuggets look like a good place to start. They won 55 games but could not stop a soul on defense and lost to... the Warriors. 

PG: Ty Lawson (speedster like Dennis)

SG: Andre Iguodala (does a bit of everything)

SF: Danilo Galinari (buckets)

PF: Kenneth Faried (athletic freak like collins)

C: Kostas Koufos 

thoughts?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

And if Derek Fisher, Austin Croshere and Corey Maggette are evidence of them being a better free agent draw than Atlanta......yikes.

Exactly.  Read that list and laughed out loud at that being evidence of ability to sign impact free agents.  Real destination of choice for the stars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Watchman said:

To quote Hooper in "Jaws"..."I got that beat..." 

You're wearing a sweater.....?

• Like 1