• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rolling Thunder? Melo Heads West

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

Melo is just a good player now ... he would really help that team if,he was willing to be 6th man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like this deal for the Knicks and OKC. Keeps the Knicks cap friendly for the long term and gets rid of a locker room headache in Melo. I cannot blame Melo though, after the way Jackson attacked him publicly, I would be ticked off as well.

Outside of team USA, Melo has never played alongside other great players. This deal makes OKC a very interesting team to watch.

• Like 2

• Admin
I like this deal for the Knicks and OKC. Keeps the Knicks cap friendly for the long term and gets rid of a locker room headache in Melo. I cannot blame Melo though, after the way Jackson attacked him publicly, I would be ticked off as well.

Outside of team USA, Melo has never played alongside other great players. This deal makes OKC a very interesting team to watch.

It's all about chemistry and sacrifice...who will do it?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It's all about chemistry and sacrifice...who will do it?

I think Melo just wants to win which is why he held the trade up for a team he can win with. I don't think OKC can push the four star monster that is Golden State, but they will be a headache for everyone else including Houston with just CP3 and Harden.

I think Presti has done about as well as he could of, short of magically stealing Hayward without cap money. He has to be very happy right now with this off season. Now lets see if they gel and then, will they stick together for longer than one season....

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Definitely agree.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

18 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Eh, Kanter's deal runs as long as Melo's and McDermott is a RFA next summer so depending on how bad they feel about "getting something" for Melo it may turn out to be cap neutral except instead of dealing with locker issues with Melo they instead have the worst defensive bigman and a shooter that can't shoot....oh, and the 31st pick.  It really is a deal of weighing whether that 2nd rounder is better than just buying out Melo, Kanter isn't particularly a get given the investment they have in Noah, Hernangomez showing signs as a rookie and Porzingis being better suited as a C himself in today's NBA.

OKC makes out like bandits though, Roberson goes from an eh signing to the perfect roleplayer around two tweeners that can shoot, a tough sonavagun in Adams and of course do it all Russy.  Bench is bad but if ole Billy manages to stagger minutes and egos he'll have a dynamic 20-30ppg scorer on the court at all times.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Eh, Kanter's deal runs as long as Melo's and McDermott is a RFA next summer so depending on how bad they feel about "getting something" for Melo it may turn out to be cap neutral except instead of dealing with locker issues with Melo they instead have the worst defensive bigman and a shooter that can't shoot....oh, and the 31st pick.  It really is a deal of weighing whether that 2nd rounder is better than just buying out Melo, Kanter isn't particularly a get given the investment they have in Noah, Hernangomez showing signs as a rookie and Porzingis being better suited as a C himself in today's NBA.

OKC makes out like bandits though, Roberson goes from an eh signing to the perfect roleplayer around two tweeners that can shoot, a tough sonavagun in Adams and of course do it all Russy.  Bench is bad but if ole Billy manages to stagger minutes and egos he'll have a dynamic 20-30ppg scorer on the court at all times.

I don't have a problem with Kanter but he cannot fix the nightmare contract that is Noah. I actually like Kanter, dollar for dollar, much better than Noah at this stage of their careers. This is why I think Kanter is not such a bad get. Melo cost about 9 million more a year then Kanter; so if McDermott walks, that is a nice tidy savings.

I don't think it is a windfall for the Knicks, I just like it better than taking on Anderson from Houston. All in all, moving Melo with his no trade clause was proving to be a tough job. If not for that, I am sure Melo would have garnered a lot more attention and more than likely better offers from other teams.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/24/2017 at 10:34 AM, Buzzard said:

I don't have a problem with Kanter but he cannot fix the nightmare contract that is Noah. I actually like Kanter, dollar for dollar, much better than Noah at this stage of their careers. This is why I think Kanter is not such a bad get. Melo cost about 9 million more a year then Kanter; so if McDermott walks, that is a nice tidy savings.

I don't think it is a windfall for the Knicks, I just like it better than taking on Anderson from Houston. All in all, moving Melo with his no trade clause was proving to be a tough job. If not for that, I am sure Melo would have garnered a lot more attention and more than likely better offers from other teams.

Saying that Kanter is better dollar for dollar than Noah doesn't mean much though.  Noah is perhaps the most toxic contract in the league today.  You can still be toxic and significantly better than that.

I am ready to watch OKC's experiment this year and wish they had a better coach than Billy Donovan.  Donovan was always a great recruiter and so-so Xs and Os man at Florida.  He still is a below average Xs and Os coach in the NBA.  Switch him for Rick Carlisle and I'd be really intrigued with them as title contenders.  

• Like 1

Donovan has stated that Melo will start at PF so there are no questions about that 6th man stuff at this point anymore or at least the first eighty one games of the season. Melo mentioned he had played PF as far back as Denver under Karl at the NBA level so he has no worries about it. Interesting starting five in OKC now for sure. 

"No, he's going to start the power forward spot for us," Donovan said. "That's what he's going to do."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20830118/carmelo-anthony-start-power-forward-oklahoma-city-thunder

• Moderators

Westbrook, Roberson, George, Anthony and Adams is a very intriguing lineup.  Westbrook will be option #1, George should be option #2, and Anthony should see his efficiency jump as option #3.  Roberson, George and Adams are all big plus defenders.  Westbrook may be able to improve in that area with less pressure to carry the team and Anthony will continue to suck there but can be put on the weakest available opponent.  I'm interested to see how it plays out.

• Admin

The problem is that OKC has always been a ball hog offense ... Westbrook and in the past Durant use to take turns just going up and taking a shot (a lot of times bad but they still went in) or at the last second pass it ... There was never any ball movement ... Thabo use to say after coming to Atl about how he loved the ball movement and never experienced that before in the NBA ... I don't know if it will work unless Westbrook is finally willing to make their offense a team game ... George is a team player so he would make it work ... Melo isn't really a team guy either so it will interesting to see if he will sacrifice for the team too ... This is a defining year for that franchise in that they can either take the next step or completely fall apart as these guys are all free agents and could leave OKC with nothing 

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The problem is that OKC has always been a ball hog offense ... Westbrook and in the past Durant use to take turns just going up and taking a shot (a lot of times bad but they still went in) or at the last second pass it ... There was never any ball movement ... Thabo use to say after coming to Atl about how he loved the ball movement and never experienced that before in the NBA ... I don't know if it will work unless Westbrook is finally willing to make their offense a team game ... George is a team player so he would make it work ... Melo isn't really a team guy either so it will interesting to see if he will sacrifice for the team too ... This is a defining year for that franchise in that they can either take the next step or completely fall apart as these guys are all free agents and could leave OKC with nothing 

Agree on all this.  I'll add that Donovan is a contributor to this problem.  He does not know good scheme offense.  It is going to take adjustments from all 3 of those major weapons.  (As an aside, it won't surprise me if Adams is more important to the team than Melo).

• Admin
32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree on all this.  I'll add that Donovan is a contributor to this problem.  He does not know good scheme offense.  It is going to take adjustments from all 3 of those major weapons.  (As an aside, it won't surprise me if Adams is more important to the team than Melo).

Adams is absolutely more important to the team then Melo