• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game 1: Hawks at heat

lethalweapon3

29 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Its hard to beat Jon Koncak, Chris Crawford, Speedy Claxton, Al Henderson (resign) and there is got to be a fifth one

Yeah, I was going to say that one of those guys would like to tell Bazemore and Hawks' management to hold their beer for a minute....

• Like 1

My general thoughts about the game. 

Don't remember games starting this early so it's more of a scrimmage than actually preseason game. Baze and Dennis try to do entirely too much. The more Baze plays, the more I hate him, smh. Out of all the minimum signings/camp invitees, I like Cook and Babbit the most. 

The Dedmon signing looks like a homerun. He's very active. Speaking of active, Collins has a bright future. It's very clear he's the one they should try to build with/around. Not a bad frontcourt for this lost season. Prince just looked bewildered out there.

Two good acquisitions by Schlenk. Bud was taking the franchise down a bad path his moves. Baze was terrible. Delaney is not NBA caliber imo. Dennis' contract could come back to bite the team if he doesn't improve his maturity. 

• Like 1

I don’t know why SA let Dedmon go.  He’s much more of a Pop-type of guy than Aldridge or Gasol.  That one alley-oop he caught on the break was very surprising and impressive.  Dude got some hop.  

If Collins stays healthy his whole season is just gonna be a highlight reel.  

The older I get the more I try to abide by “nothing good to say, don’t say nothing.”  Baze serves a a constant reminder.

And I might be the only Squaker who didn’t know nothing about John Jenkins getting signed.

On the other side, I didn’t know Richardson was such an active defender.  He made a point to beat everything Dennis threw up.  There’s a weird controlled chaos that Spo allows his team to play with that I’ve always enjoyed.  Probably not a great fit for Olynk.  It’s funny to always see Dennis go flying when Dragic hits him with the “Iron Shoulder” on breaks.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, capstone21 said:

In the grand scheme of things ... his contract (although awful) does not compare to that group

Crawford's deal started at 5.9% of the cap and finished at 7.4% of the cap.  Crawford was making 2% more than our 8th highest paid player when his contract started and he was the 7th highest paid player on the team when we cut him.

Baze's deal sat at a cool 16.7% of the cap and finishes at 17.7% of the cap.  Baze was our third highest paid player last year and is our highest paid player for the foreseeable future.

I get that Baze is a more useful player but while Crawford was producing like a 10th man and getting paid like a 7th man during his time with the Hawks, Baze is getting paid like an All-Star (last season he made more than All-Stars Kyle Lowry, Steph Curry, Kemba Walker, and Draymond Green) while actually being a 7th man.

I see them as at least highly comparable and I'd rather swallow the smaller deal for a useless player than make a guy who is clearly not starter quality the highest paid player on my team.  Our new GM will watch us pay Baze basically the same salary as GS will pay Klay Thompson the next few years.  I assume he will wonder what our management was drinking when they offered that deal.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AHF said:

Crawford's deal started at 5.9% of the cap and finished at 7.4% of the cap.  Crawford was making 2% more than our 8th highest paid player when his contract started and he was the 7th highest paid player on the team when we cut him.

Baze's deal sat at a cool 16.7% of the cap and finishes at 17.7% of the cap.  Baze was our third highest paid player last year and is our highest paid player for the foreseeable future.

I get that Baze is a more useful player but while Crawford was producing like a 10th man and getting paid like a 7th man during his time with the Hawks, Baze is getting paid like an All-Star (last season he made more than All-Stars Kyle Lowry, Steph Curry, Kemba Walker, and Draymond Green) while actually being a 7th man.

I see them as at least highly comparable and I'd rather swallow the smaller deal for a useless player than make a guy who is clearly not starter quality the highest paid player on my team.  Our new GM will watch us pay Baze basically the same salary as GS will pay Klay Thompson the next few years.  I assume he will wonder what our management was drinking when they offered that deal.

I think Baze’s personality and heavy community involvement played a part in the decision.  I shudder to think what Schlenk’s gonna get in return when he deals him.  Talk about an upside-down mortgage. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Some see him as a useful rotational player that should get 15 plus minutes per game.  Some even suggested that he start at center or play ahead of John Collins at power forward.

You and I are on the same page there.  I feed minutes to Collins all day over Moose.  I've not understood Bud's love for him in the past, though, so I am a bit worried about seeing a scenario play out like you've described.

PF/C should be Collins/Dedmon this year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AHF said:

PF/C should be Collins/Dedmon this year.

Quite sure at some point this season that will be the starting C/PF combo. Collins maybe not as soon as most of us hope but am sure it will happen. He is just too exceptional at getting off the floor and his rebounding should force the issue pretty soon.

• Like 2