• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Celtics at Hawks

lethalweapon3

20 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We won't see the full potential of Collins until Bud puts him in the starting lineup.  Maybe Dedmon can get into a fight and get suspended for 2 games, forcing Bud to start Collins.  Then again, he'll just bring back a less than 100% Moose, and start him.

Let the rookie work through his fouling issues. If you shift more of his minutes to being against the other team's best players right now then we'd probably get fewer minutes out of him. You also don't want Collins and Dedmon picking up fouls at the same time. Then we're really screwed. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Thank the Nets for Boston's success.   Maybe the worst management of any team I can think of.  In addition the Boston junk, they also gave up Lilliard to Portland for Crash.

I remember the Nets fought tooth and nail to get into the Playoffs when the Hawks had the rights to their pick, leaving us outside of the Lottery, I still can't get over that, because it looked like they deliberately 'tanked' the following season to give the Celtics the highest pick possible. If Atkinson wasn't coaching there, I'd be all for contracting the Nets or moving them to Idaho.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

He's right, we didn't win 15 straight, we won 19! (Right?)

Yes indeed and we were a perfect 17-0 in January in that year.

https://247sports.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/Bolt/Atlanta-Hawks-Look-To-Join-Elite-Company-With-20-Straight-Wins-35291228

• Like 2

4 hours ago, High5 said:

Let the rookie work through his fouling issues. If you shift more of his minutes to being against the other team's best players right now then we'd probably get fewer minutes out of him. You also don't want Collins and Dedmon picking up fouls at the same time. Then we're really screwed. 

We're 3 - 13.  How much screwed can we get?

52 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

We're 3 - 13.  How much screwed can we get?

These close losses could be not so close losses, but mostly I'm looking at it from an entertainment standpoint. I want Dedmon or Collins on the floor at all times for my sake. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Meanwhile... "Fake News!" from the Steve Holman of your Boston Celtics. Spot any inaccuracy here?

~lw3

I thought we won 15 straight on 2 occassion.  The year we traded Nique and the year we went to the NBA ECFs?

6 hours ago, High5 said:

He's fouling because he probably should be playing PF instead of C.  Play him beside Dedmon, the fouling between the both of them may decrease.  We'll never know though, if they hardly get minutes alongside each other.

30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He's fouling because he probably should be playing PF instead of C.  Play him beside Dedmon, the fouling between the both of them may decrease.  We'll never know though, if they hardly get minutes alongside each other.

I just don't see the point in trying to rush him into a new role before he gets comfortable in his current role. Maybe he'd be better off at PF, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that from the types of fouls he's getting. And his rim protection has been his biggest strength on defense. 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Diesel said:

I thought we won 15 straight on 2 occassion.  The year we traded Nique and the year we went to the NBA ECFs?

I'll have to check the media guide, but the 1993-94 Hawks may have held the franchise's previous record of 14 wins in a row.

The last of that string of wins was Lenny Wilkens' "triumphant" return to Cleveland, where he had coached the prior seven seasons. That victory was Atlanta's first win after ten-straight losses to Wilkens' former Cavs (both teams were in the Central Division, in a tinier 27-team league, so they played each other a lot more than they do today).

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/326030/CLEVELAND-WELCOMES-WILKENS-AS-HAWKS-WIN-14TH-STRAIGHT.html

~lw3

1 hour ago, High5 said:

I just don't see the point in trying to rush him into a new role before he gets comfortable in his current role. Maybe he'd be better off at PF, but I haven't seen a lot of evidence of that from the types of fouls he's getting. And his rim protection has been his biggest strength on defense. 

If Collins is already one of our top 5 players, he needs to be playing more minutes with the guy who is running the show.  But when Collins has logged one more minute on the floor with Isiah Taylor than he has with Dennis Schröder, that's a problem.  Everyone keeps saying that Collins reminds them of Shawn Kemp.  Well a big part of Kemp's development was playing alongside a PG who could find him around the rim for easy baskets ( Gary Payton ).

But I guess we don't want Collins to improve too rapidly, because that would ruin "the process".

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Some apologia, plus, something (or somebodies) got into the Celtics' Play-By-Play man's corn flakes yesterday!

~lw3

So instead of just admitting his flat out mistake he says this list has been cleaned up and gets on a podium and then starts a lecture tour. Am sure he is just a great guy with no ego, right? Should have just admitted the mistake, amend it and move on like a professional since he gets paid and all. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So instead of just admitting his flat out mistake he says this list has been cleaned up and gets on a podium and then starts a lecture tour. Am sure he is just a great guy with no ego, right? Should have just admitted the mistake, amend it and move on like a professional since he gets paid and all. 

Rule of thumb: if you can't handle the mild heat of Hawks Fan Twitter, you probably oughta get off Twitter altogether.

Also disconcerting is Sean doesn't know "sick" (sic, lol) from "sic". Certainly has spelling skillz that are perfect for radio.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Nice effort by Collins against the Celtics.  I'd love to see him play more, but at the same time, I'm okay with Bud not putting too much on him too early.  While the hope is he'll progress some more as the season goes on, the real development we all hope to see will probably take a few seasons.