Trader Trav: "Who Will Buy?"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

:Schroder::Baze:

(Nothing earth-shaking, but) Steve Kyler ruminates:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-where-will-the-bottom-nba-teams-go/

With the 2018 NBA trade deadline on February 9 approaching quickly, the questions surrounding some of the NBA’s worst teams are becoming more about which parts will they sell off and which parts they will keep.

((snip))

This season was a rebuilding year for the Hawks, and they knew it. It also is a year in which the Hawks are open to shedding contract dollars. League sources continue to say the asking price on Dennis Schröder is too high to make sense, but the Hawks have at least listened to the idea and are not turning away conversations.

There continues to be a sense that Kent Bazemore is available, but again, the asking price seems to be too high to think he’ll get moved, but he is a name to watch as the deadline grows near.

The Hawks do have some meaningful ending contracts on proven veterans, which could make them a team to watch at the deadline, which is typically when teams cash in expiring deals for their future.

~lw3

• Like 2

Is the asking price being too high for Baze what we want in return or when teams ask what is the price left on his contract. He’s actually been decent this year and I hope somebody will take him (his contract) off of our hands!

• Moderators

This is early in the process so we should be aiming high but this rumor mill is pretty hard to glean much from.  All I really got is "the Hawks are looking to be active sellers, are actively shopping Baze and are open to discussing Dennis and they haven't struck a deal with anyone to this point."

• Like 4

Why not trading Dennis to the Knicks?

I would be totally ok with this.

They won't give us their First of this year's draft if Porzingis continues to feel "tired" but their 2018 first won't be that bad (top20).

Dedmon, Dennis for Knicks 2018 first (top10 protected) + Kanter + O'Quinn (Knicks win the trade)

or

Dennis, Baze for knicks 2018 first (protected)+ Kanter + C Lee (+ O'Quinn) (seems to be better for the Hawks)

something in between those two proposals...

• Moderators

I'd rather have Demon than Kanter so I'm not on board with this.  If I'm dealing Dennis to them and taking on Kanter's salary I definitely want that pick with very little protection.  Kanter is productive but a defensive liability and overpaid.  His stats will always outweigh his impact for that reason.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ISOJOE said:

Kanter (yes, he really wants to decline 18,6mil  per report) and Dedmon will likely be FAs at the end of the season....

Good for  him if he wants to decline it but I'm going to need to be paid for the possibility that he doesn't.  Dedmon I want to keep after this year and think he could be held at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

Just now, AHF sagte:

Good for  him if he wants to decline it but I'm going to need to be paid for the possibility that he doesn't.  Dedmon I want to keep after this year and think he could be held at a reasonable price.

what do you think about the second scenario?

The trade deadline is Feb 9th?  Why so early?

As for the trade scenarios, it should be high for Dennis.  He's a mid 1st round pick, so accepting anything less than that would be idiotic.  

Baze, on the other hand, is overpaid like hell, and should be dealt for pennies on the dollar ( if possible ).  A player like Baze can be replaced.  A guy like Dennis, not so much.

• Like 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Definitely no on dealing with Knicks. I think our asking price should be first and young pieces for Dennis, and late first or multiple seconds for Baze with expiring deals.

That is too much for Baze.  He is not worth the money on his contract so nobody sane is giving up a first to go with taking him unless they are dumping toxic assets right back on you.  We should ask for it, but we should be prepared to move at a lower price than that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

More of the same, this one from Woj. Just passing mention of Baze (and Junkyard Dawg) but more detail about the Pistons pursuing 4nier.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/Woj22002854/nba-trade-deadline-biggest-storylines-potential-deals-watch-adrian-wojnarowski

Detroit, New Orleans, New York and Portland are a few of the teams most interested in upgrades, but the true list is much longer

Atlanta is pushing to unload veterans and gather more draft picks and young players. Bazemore, Ersan Ilyasova and Marco Belinelli are expendable.

~lw3