• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trader Trav: "Who Will Buy?"

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Okay, so how about this fella? (via HoopShype, er, HoopsHype, and... I've never heard of GiveMeSport, but that's where Mark Deeks landed)

http://www.givemesport.com/1237538-is-it-possible-for-a-team-to-sign-a-player-to-too-small-of-a-contract

~lw3

21 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:
Okay, so how about this fella? (via HoopShype, er, HoopsHype, and... I've never heard of GiveMeSport, but that's where Mark Deeks landed)

[/url] http://www.givemesport.com/1237538-is-it-possible-for-a-team-to-sign-a-player-to-too-small-of-a-contract 

~lw3

I don't agree with the premise of that second article. Just as easily as he says Dedmon's contact is too short, you could say Muscala's contract is too long if he opts in and you need more cap space. No one could've predicted his 3 point shot. Now that teams have seen it, if they want Dedmon on board then maybe they will opt to wait for free agency. But if Dedmon had played like Plumlee, he wouldn't have any demand in the first place.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

I was disappointed that we didn't sign Dedmon for 2 years.  I don't like the one year deals on players with nice upside.  Looking at the advanced numbers with Dedmon, he looked like a valuable contributor even without the big jump in 3pt shooting.    

Didn't like the Moose deal because he did not look like a player with any real upside.  He was cuttable at  the time it was given, IMO, but I've never been much of a fan of his.

• Like 4

I was disappointed that we didn't sign Dedmon for 2 years.  I don't like the one year deals on players with nice upside.  Looking at the advanced numbers with Dedmon, he looked like a valuable contributor even without the big jump in 3pt shooting.    

Didn't like the Moose deal because he did not look like a player with any real upside.  He was cuttable at  the time it was given, IMO, but I've never been much of a fan of his.

I agree on both points, but Dedmon has much better value with the 3 point shot now. Now a team like say the Bucks who can use as much spacing as possible around Giannis would be more intrigued. He's always been good, but he gives teams more options offensively.
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why can't the Hawks just resign him when he opts out of his 2nd year?

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Why can't the Hawks just resign him when he opts out of his 2nd year?

They can but he is an unrestricted free agent and will cost a lot more than he could get on the market this offseason.  Thus, we have no ability to stop him from going to another team and will have to pay a lot more to keep him.  I view both of those as negatives over a second year on his current deal.

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

They can but he is an unrestricted free agent and will cost a lot more than he could get on the market this offseason.  Thus, we have no ability to stop him from going to another team and will have to pay a lot more to keep him.  I view both of those as negatives over a second year on his current deal.

We can match any offer right?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

We can match any offer right?

Not in the restricted free agency sense.  If he accepts an offer for $11M next season with some other team, he is just gone.  There is no matching.  If he comes back to us and says, "I just got an offer for $11M and I'll accept it if you don't give me $12M per" then we could choose to meet his contract demands.  Hard to see him getting a deal we couldn't afford to match or beat but the decision would be up to him and we wouldn't be able to do anything other than convey our offer.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not in the restricted free agency sense.  If he accepts an offer for $11M next season with some other team, he is just gone.  There is no matching.  If he comes back to us and says, "I just got an offer for $11M and I'll accept it if you don't give me $12M per" then we could choose to meet his contract demands.  Hard to see him getting a deal we couldn't afford to match or beat but the decision would be up to him and we wouldn't be able to do anything other than convey our offer.

That's all I'm saying.  If we really wanted him on the team next year it would not be a problem unless he hates the Hawks organization and the way Bud coaches!  lol!

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

What I mean is that the Hawks can offer him the same amount someone else is offering of more right?

Perhaps, except there's no requirement on his/his agent's side to come back to us and say, "Team X is offering us Y, you want to match or up the ante?" And if they did, and we indeed upped the ante, there's nothing stopping them from going back to Team X and doing the same.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, lethalweapon3 said:

Perhaps, except there's no requirement on his/his agent's side to come back to us and say, "Team X is offering us Y, you want to match or up the ante?" And if they did, and we indeed upped the ante, there's nothing stopping them from going back to Team X and doing the same.

~lw3

Other team's free agents do it all of the time.  We will never build a winner if we can't even pay our own mediocre free agents the equivalent or more than what others are offering to get them to stay. lol!