• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Spurs at Hawks -- The MLK Day Game!

lethalweapon3

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I don't agree at all with Bud's strategy to foul right there.  A 3 doesn't beat you in that situation, so why not play the entire thing out?  Now, we have to make FTs, and then do the same thing again.  Bud with Tankology 101 style coaching.

I liked the move.  A three does tie the game, the foul insured they don’t, let alone get an offensive rebound.  The Spurs had no timeouts, I’m more comfortable securing the ball affer two automatic Mills free throws, maintaining the lead with 2 timeouts to advance the ball.  We are one of the worst three point defense teams.

Like I said though, these new Spurs squads sadly ain’t nothing to write home about.  In past years if they only turned over 9 times they’d beat anyone by 20.  Now they getting pounded on the glass by the lowly Hawks with 2 7 footers.   Missing Leonard is no excuse as they’ve kicked many healthy squads’ ass missing All-Stars all the time.  This super slow pace and weird mix of young and very old players ain’t gonna do them no favors soon as the playoffs roll around.

Illy with the quietest dub ever.

Collins just stuffing the sheet.

Dennis and Ded, nuff said.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

I liked the move.  A three does tie the game, the foul insured they don’t, let alone get an offensive rebound.  The Spurs had no timeouts, I’m more comfortable securing the ball affer two made free throws with the lead and 2 timeouts to advance the ball.

Like I said though, these new Spurs squads sadly ain’t nothing to write home about.  In past years if they only turned over 9 times they’d beat anyone by 20. Missing Leonard is no excuse as they’ve kicked many healthy squads’ ass missing All-Stars all the time.  This super slow pace and weird mix of young and very old players ain’t gonna do them no favors soon as the playoffs roll around.

Illy with the quietest dub ever.

Collins just stuffing the sheet.

Dennis and Ded, nuff said.

So what happens if Dedmon had missed the 2 FTs?  You now have a situation in which the Spurs are only down 1, with 8 seconds to go, and they only need a 2 to win the game.   The Hawks option to foul would also be gone.  Luckily, both Dedmon and Dennis made their FTs.

It's no reason to complicate things by fouling.  Just play good defense, and end the game.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So what happens if Dedmon had missed the 2 FTs?  You now have a situation in which the Spurs are only down 1, with 8 seconds to go, and they only need a 2 to win the game.   The Hawks option to foul would also be gone.  Luckily, both Dedmon and Dennis made their FTs.

It's no reason to complicate things by fouling.  Just play good defense, and end the game.

It was controversial no doubt, I’m glad it worked out.  I had faith in Ded (or anyone who was on the floor at the time) to hit both plus the defense making a stop in a situation where the Spurs have to go the full length of the court in 8 seconds.  They’d first have to beat a press from one of the best steal teams in the league.  You also take it out of those god awful referees hands.  Patty is a master at the flop three, I would’ve died.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

We need to do whatever is necessary not to get too many wins.  The recent number of wins is very concerning unless you are a fan of what Bob Sura did to this franchise.  Develop your players.  That has value.  Winning games has zero value and can really, really set the franchise back.

We are no longer are atop the crowd by ourself as the top seed in the tank race.  (It is now shared with Orlando and a single game separates us from multiple teams.  A few more wins and we could be looking at the 7th pick in the draft as our worst case instead of guaranteed top 4).

It's gonna be hard, unless guys start picking up shadow injuries, we're going to have to get rid of a couple vets.

• Moderators

Beyond lotto tankology, if you're navel-gazing the bottom end of the 1st round as I am, there is this to be concerned about as well.

Any way we could get Orlando to trade Adreian Payne back to Minny? Under the condition he gets, like, 20 minutes a night?

~lw3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

We need to do whatever is necessary not to get too many wins.  The recent number of wins is very concerning unless you are a fan of what Bob Sura did to this franchise.  Develop your players.  That has value.  Winning games has zero value and can really, really set the franchise back.

We are no longer are atop the crowd by ourself as the top seed in the tank race.  (It is now shared with Orlando and a single game separates us from multiple teams.  A few more wins and we could be looking at the 7th pick in the draft as our worst case instead of guaranteed top 4).

Bud is tanking! No worries! Isn't that what you argued?

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, AHF said:

Orlando started the year 8-4 or something close to that.  That’s a true tank.

• Like 2