• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Jazz at Hawks

lethalweapon3

The question is . . . will Joe Johnson get into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

- No championships, NBA Finals, or Conference Finals appearances.

- 7x All-Star

- One All-NBA team ( 3rd team )

- 20th all time in minutes played ( 43,584 )

- 10th all time in 3 pointers made ( 1955 ) . . . did not know that

- 41st all time in total points ( 20,217 )

The last stat is key, because NO ONE in NBA history who has scored that many points, has not been left out of the Hall of Fame.  Only 2 players who have scored at least 20,000 points have been left out.  ( Tom Chambers and Antwan Jamison ).

The recent history of clutch baskets may get him in.  But it may have to be a year in which the inductee class is relatively "weak".

With the Jazz being 4.5 games out of the 8th spot, he may need to be traded to a high caliber playoff team ( Cleveland ), and be a key reserve off the bench, in order to guarantee his spot in the Hall.   If not, I wonder how many seasons he'll continue to play as a fringe player?  If he can get to 21,000 points, that may be enough.  But he'll need 2+ more seasons to do that.

• Like 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The question is . . . will Joe Johnson get into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

He'll be umpteenth-ballot. I suspect Joe Springfield gets ample time to work on his induction speech... which will still be both short and hilarious!

~lw3

• Moderators

ERRATA: I have my Plumlees confused above! Sorry, Miles! You're the true Bud-fave, while Mason was the guy on the McD's All-Star team back in 2009. I had too much Bucks on the brain, too, as I almost called Mason "Marshall"!

~lw3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

We are completely going to screw ourselves.  I am so unhappy with the recent direction of the team.  Short sighted.  Hope the Jazz put together a big run but we are going to find ourselves on the outside looking in for the elite prospects of our recent play becomes a trend over the second half when a bunch of other teams deliberately dial up the injuries and Ls.

I truly believe that they're winning for the home crowd, which is a good thing.  They'll be horrible on the road.  And eventually, Dennis will get a "mysterious" injury in March, and will be shut down for the year.  And if anyone else acts like they wanna ball, they'll be shut down too.

• Like 1

We are completely going to screw ourselves.  I am so unhappy with the recent direction of the team.  Short sighted.  Hope the Jazz put together a big run but we are going to find ourselves on the outside looking in for the elite prospects of our recent play becomes a trend over the second half when a bunch of other teams deliberately dial up the injuries and Ls.

Gotta hope some deals get done by the deadline. This win was unavoidable considering how bad the Jazz have shot the ball, but this squad is gaining too much momentum right now. I imagine we'll make a deal when Cleveland decides how important that Brooklyn pick is to them.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

To be fair, if we (and by we, I mean the Hawks players on the court) tried to play worse than the Jazz are looking right now, there would be a Congressional investigation!

At the risk of a jinx, Utah's road record will drop to 5-19 (a half-game above ATL's league-worst 4-19). So it's not like this is unfamiliar territory for them.

Also at the risk of a jinx: The Hawks will officially pass the 04-05 Hawks with their 14th win. No "Atlanta" Hawks team has ever had fewer than 25 (the Milwaukee Hawks had some early clunkers in the 50s, but nobody remembers those).

~lw3

Just now, nathan2331 said:
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Gotta hope some deals get done by the deadline. This win was unavoidable considering how bad the Jazz have shot the ball, but this squad is gaining too much momentum right now. I imagine we'll make a deal when Cleveland decides how important that Brooklyn pick is to them.

I surely hope no one is dealt that could actually be useful next season.  Dedmon should be off limits, if he doesn't opt out.  Dennis definitely shouldn't be dealt, unless you can get a lottery pick ( and replace him with Collin Sexton ).  And Prince is still a work in progress.

The "injury bug" will hit the Hawks soon enough.  No need to panic.

• Like 1