• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Look At Me...

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

:Schroder: "No, seriously, please, look at me..."

Hawks’ local TV ratings down 50 percent, study shows

http://www.myajc.com/sports/leadoff-hawks-local-ratings-down-percent-study-shows/MgKVU1N8IKUTaiuzAA71BO/

~d3nnis

:Millsap: "Sorry, Schro. I took all the viewers to Denver with me!"

The decline is the largest by any NBA team in its home market this season.

http://www.ajc.com/leadoff-early-look-at-atlanta-sports/

~pawl

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Definitely not a surprise.  You let go of 2 of the most recognizable faces in the franchise, while losing games at a rate that hasn't been seen in ATL in about 15 years, you're bound to lose viewers.

Who is the second let go other than Sap?  Pretty sure you aren't talking THJr.

• Moderators

Here goes that SBJ article with the Top/Bottom 5 ratings and one-year changes so far.https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/02/19/Research-and-Ratings/NBA-ratings.aspx

Another good news story is in the nation’s capital, where ratings for Wizards games on NBC Sports Washington are up 70 percent so far this season. This massive increase comes despite an up-and-down season where the team’s all-star point guard John Wall has missed 20 games.

Unsurprisingly, the league’s lowest TV ratings come in markets with the worst teams, so far this season.

With a 19-40 record, the Brooklyn Nets own the league’s lowest local TV rating. The team’s games on YES Network pulled a 0.42 average, which actually was up 9 percent from the same point last season.

~lw3

16 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Worse, I actually think he is talking about Howard

The 2015/2016 team finished the year 4th in the East.  16 months later, 3 members of that team remained.  Muscala, Bazemore, Schröder.

Prominent names gone and how they are doing in 2017/18

Hardaway Jr. - 16.7 ppg

Horford - 13.3 ppg/7.7 reb/5.1 apg

Korver - 9.3 ppg

Millsap - 15.3 ppg / 6.2 reb / 3.0 apg

Teague - 13.1 / 7.1 apg

What did you get back?

Plumlee (Stiff), Bellinelli (waived), Dedmon (auditioning), Ilyasova (fill-in)

What did you pick up?

Delaney, Prince, Collins, Bembry

Yah, I'm finding it hard to watch.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The 2015/2016 team finished the year 4th in the East.  16 months later, 3 members of that team remained.  Muscala, Bazemore, Schröder.

Prominent names gone and how they are doing in 2017/18

Hardaway Jr. - 16.7 ppg

Horford - 13.3 ppg/7.7 reb/5.1 apg

Korver - 9.3 ppg

Millsap - 15.3 ppg / 6.2 reb / 3.0 apg

Teague - 13.1 / 7.1 apg

What did you get back?

Plumlee (Stiff), Bellinelli (waived), Dedmon (auditioning), Ilyasova (fill-in)

What did you pick up?

Delaney, Prince, Collins, Bembry

Yah, I'm finding it hard to watch.

Can't blame you for finding it harder to watch.  It is much worse to watch but how much better would it be?  Key question is whether it made sense to keep those guys.  I'll exclude Horford since he left despite a significant offer:

THJr - $16.5M - .522 TS%, 14.3 PER, 1.8 WS 

Replacement - Marco Belinelli $6.3M, .559 TS%, 14.3 PER, 2.0 WS

Korver - $7M - 13.5 PER, 2.5 WS

Replacement - Prince $2.4M - 10.4 PER, 0.7 WS

Millsap - $31.3M - 17.3 PER, 1.0 WS (0.098 WS/48)

Replacement - Collins $2M - 19.8 PER, 4.0 WS (0.163 WS/48)

Teague - $19M - 15.1 PER, 2.8 WS

Replacement - Dennis $15.5M - 17.8 PER, 2.6 WS

With an aging team, the salaries just keep escalating so I'm not sure we would be very good this season under any circumstances given the talent base and limited cap room we had to operate.  You have to rebuilt some time.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Can't blame you for finding it harder to watch.  It is much worse to watch but how much better would it be?  Key question is whether it made sense to keep those guys.  I'll exclude Horford since he left despite a significant offer:

With an aging team, the salaries just keep escalating so I'm not sure we would be very good this season under any circumstances given the talent base and limited cap room we had to operate.  You have to rebuilt some time.

There should be no debate at this point about moving on from the previous teams which had maxed out 3 years ago.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There should be no debate at this point about moving on from the previous teams which had maxed out 3 years ago.

I'm just thinking we would still be pretty terrible if we had just re-upped everyone and let Dennis go (you had to choose between Dennis and Teague).  Hurt Sap having a subpar year.  Aging Korver not getting the wide open shots he does in Cleveland.  Teague putting up a very mediocre year.  THJr not very good.  Dwight giving you what you expect (in both good and bad ways).  No Belli, no Dedmon, no Prince, etc.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AHF said:

The issue isn't their loss, its what they were replaced with. You incluce Belli but he's gone. You include Collins but he was getting drafted anyway....he isn't here despite those guys. He's just here.

Teague vs Dennis is a bit off because it doesn't take into account the defense.  Dennis is much younger with room to grow...but that defense....geesh!

Flip side, Prince defense vs Korver is light years the other way.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

The issue isn't their loss, its what they were replaced with. You incluce Belli but he's gone. You include Collins but he was getting drafted anyway....he isn't here despite those guys. He's just here.

Teague vs Dennis is a bit off because it doesn't take into account the defense.  Dennis is much younger with room to grow...but that defense....geesh!

Flip side, Prince defense vs Korver is light years the other way.

But part of that is you have to make choices too.  You can't just keep paying an aging first/second round loss team more and more every year. Does Belli + THJr + Baze + Korver for $49M make sense as your wings?  

Make sense to pay $35M for two mediocre PGs?

Does it make sense to pay Sap over $30M when you have Collins if your best case scenario is winning one or more games in the second round?

I don't disagree that the product is less fun to watch or that it would be better than this year's team if ownership grabbed its wallet and paid luxury tax to keep everyone.  But I don't see that making sense longterm.  And given that Sap hasn't done jack this year, that Teague hasn't been very good and got us Prince, that Korver is only useful at this stage of his career when left open, and that THJr has a few big games and a bunch of replacement level ones ---- I'm just not seeing that the wrong call was made on any of them for this season.

• Like 2