• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Bulls at Hawks

lethalweapon3

48 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't like the comparison because I feel like it's almost entirely based on position and hairstyle. They really aren't that similar otherwise except for the 3pt%. That said, you're one being disrespectful. At least of DMC's time with us. He was as solid a glue guy as there was in the league and he honestly won us a lot of games with his play on both ends. Prince is still trying to get there. I do think he'll surpass him eventually, though.

They’re both 6’8 220lb 3&D hustle guys who play/played for the Hawks. It ain’t about hair. And when I said “Plus” I implied Prince will be better. I’m a Prince fan. I’m complimenting Prince.

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

This is common and accepted fanspeak—to refer to the team we root for as “we” vs the opposition, “they”.  Most people know it isn’t meant literally, as if the fan were to believe they are part of the team.  

Just weird to me to try to rally a fan base to influence wins and loses. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Just weird to me to try to rally a fan base to influence wins and loses. 

He was talking about the team not the fan base.  Like if we were on the bubble of the playoff race he might say "we need to take this game by game and not lose our focus.  Can't look ahead to Toronto, need to make sure we take care of the Knicks and not screw up and give anything away."  He is talking about the coaches and players -- not so much the fans.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He was talking about the team not the fan base.  Like if we were on the bubble of the playoff race he might say "we need to take this game by game and not lose our focus.  Can't look ahead to Toronto, need to make sure we take care of the Knicks and not screw up and give anything away."  He is talking about the coaches and players -- not so much the fans.

What's the point of mentioning it here?  What will happen will happen.  You can hope something happens but to say we need to take one game at a time on this forum is just taking our involvement in the process a bit too far.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What's the point of mentioning it here?  What will happen will happen.  You can hope something happens but to say we need to take one game at a time on this forum is just taking our involvement in the process a bit too far.

He isn't suggesting the fans on this site are involved.  He is saying this is the approach the team and coaches need to take.  Be prepared to do what needs to be done to lose and not give one up like we have done every few games lately.  Don't take losses for granted.  Keep sitting players, draw up some lineups for losing points, etc.  "We" = team and coaches, not the fan base.  "They" = Utah, Orlando, etc. players and coaches, not their fan bases.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

He isn't suggesting the fans on this site are involved.  He is saying this is the approach the team and coaches need to take.  Be prepared to do what needs to be done to lose and not give one up like we have done every few games lately.  Don't take losses for granted.  Keep sitting players, draw up some lineups for losing points, etc.  "We" = team and coaches, not the fan base.  "They" = Utah, Orlando, etc. players and coaches, not their fan bases.

Then say Bud needs to do those things not "we"  Why are posters so afraid to mention Bud's name in fear that he might do the wrong thing and be subject to criticism?

41 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Then say Bud needs to do those things not "we"  Why are posters so afraid to mention Bud's name in fear that he might do the wrong thing and be subject to criticism?

And THERE’s the pivot. I was waiting on it. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, hazer said:

And THERE’s the pivot. I was waiting on it. 

There is no pivot...There is only one person that can control wins and loses at this point unless you think that players can somehow be influenced to miss shots and not play defense.  And if the players are involved, why do they receive so much criticism for playing "tank" brand of basketball while others non players receive praise?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I think it is common fan shorthand and not fear.

• Like 3

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Short hand? Bud is only one letter longer than we!  lol!

It is super common for fans to use the term "we" when talking about the team and management.  I wasn't trying to suggest that he was doing it to save on typing more characters.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is super common for fans to use the term "we" when talking about the team and management.  I wasn't trying to suggest that he was doing it to save on typing more characters.

Actually posters single out Schlenk quite a bit especially your anti-tank group!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Actually posters single out Schlenk quite a bit especially your anti-tank group!

This discussion seems really over complicated.  It isn't a matter that people don't call out specific members of the management team, it is more that it is super common to use the term "we" when talking about what a fan hopes to see from the collective organization.  Bud is definitely 100% responsible for minutes and strategy on the floor with the possible exception that Schlenk or someone else might be involved in deciding who to sit out, etc.  

Anyone who doesn't like the idea of rebuilding through the draft will have a circle drawn around Schlenk's picture because clearly Schlenk sold ownership on that vision and he has moved to go in that direction.  Budcox was atrophying talent and escalating costs over time but it is unclear whether Budcox was on board doing moves like trading Sap for assets which seemed an obvious move if we were going to rebuild.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

This discussion seems really over complicated.  It isn't a matter that people don't call out specific members of the management team, it is more that it is super common to use the term "we" when talking about what a fan hopes to see from the collective organization.  Bud is definitely 100% responsible for minutes and strategy on the floor with the possible exception that Schlenk or someone else might be involved in deciding who to sit out, etc.  

Anyone who doesn't like the idea of rebuilding through the draft will have a circle drawn around Schlenk's picture because clearly Schlenk sold ownership on that vision and he has moved to go in that direction.  Budcox was atrophying talent and escalating costs over time but it is unclear whether Budcox was on board doing moves like trading Sap for assets which seemed an obvious move if we were going to rebuild.

I admire your patience in this discussion.  I think most fans refer to the team as “we”, even in other countries. It’s hard to imagine  being a sports fan and frequenting sports fan forums and not encountering this universal colloquialism.  

It’s also just damn funny to talk about losing like it takes some sort of concerted effort.  My original post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, though it is true that “we” do need to lose the rest of our games for posterity.  Dark humor is what helps me cope with having an embarrassment of a basketball team that I follow.  

Edited by CBAreject
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Actually the highlighted statement is factually incorrect.  Willcox wanted to hit the reset button and it was Bud that resisted

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

It’s also just damn funny to talk about losing like it takes some sort of concerted effort.  My original post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, though it is true that “we” do need to lose the rest of our games for posterity.  Dark humor is what helps me cope with having an embarrassment of a basketball team that I follow.  

I completely agree with the above statement and I think a lot of poster feel exactly the way you feel.  And even though I knew Howard and Millsap had to go it is absolutely killing me inside to see us deliberately lose games when I know that we could have won another 10 games even with the current players.  That is why i started that thread regarding the last 30 or so game would be so painful. 

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I completely agree with the above statement and I think a lot of poster feel exactly the way you feel.  And even though I knew Howard and Millsap had to go it is absolutely killing me inside to see us deliberately lose games when I know that we could have won another 10 games even with the current players.  That is why i started that thread regarding the last 30 or so game would be so painful. 

Even if we won 10 more, which is on the high side, we'd be 30-37. That would be true hell. Seeing Prince go for off for the most regular season points we've had since 2009 (Joe's 40) while improving the tank has me feeling good. Also, that Dorsey through the leg dribble and assist to Moose was slick. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, High5 said:

Even if we won 10 more, which is on the high side, we'd be 30-37. That would be true hell. Seeing Prince go for off for the most regular season points we've had since 2009 (Joe's 40) while improving the tank has me feeling good. Also, that Dorsey through the leg dribble and assist to Moose was slick. 

This is something that all of us understand but what CBReject and myself brought up was the mental drain of losing has on the average fan.  this is particularly evident when rooting for player development takes a back seat to losing.  Did you notice that there was almost no discussion about Prince's outstanding performance?  You know that a fan base is psychologically drained when one of the team's 2nd year players has a Lebron like performance and it is barely discussed.

1 hour ago, CBAreject said:

I admire your patience in this discussion. 

I hereby officially declare @AHF “The Obtuse Whisperer”.

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is something that all of us understand but what CBReject and myself brought up was the mental drain of losing has on the average fan.  this is particularly evident when rooting for player development takes a back seat to losing.  Did you notice that there was almost no discussion about Prince's outstanding performance?  You know that a fan base is psychologically drained when one of the team's 2nd year players has a Lebron like performance and it is barely discussed.

Most of the posts were about Prince until you started a discussion on pronouns or something. I skipped over most of it. 

• Like 2