• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How Will The Hawks Look Next Year?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ISOJOE said:

If we draft Doncic I hope the S5 will be:

Dennis-Baze-Doncic-Prince-Collins

Baze will only shoot catchnshoot Js and stick to straight line drives.

I think they should continue to sub Dennis out early like they did at the end of the year and let him destroy the bench Bigs of the opposing teams with Isos. That worked really well imo.

Whoever is the slowest non-Big of the opposing teams is defended by Doncic. That's the best way to hide him on defense imo, he also has the frame to defend PFs like Ryan Anderson.

Second unit: Dedmon, Bembry, Dorsey, free agent, picks, (Moose, Taylor)

That's a pretty bad defensive line up right there...It would prove KB's prediction of 25 wins correct if that is the plan. 

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden, Peoriabird sagte:

That's a pretty bad defensive line up right there...It would prove KB's prediction of 25 wins correct if that is the plan. 

I Don't agree. Dennis will be way better defensively because Doncic is the perfect secondary ballhandler to save some energy. Collins will come back more experienced and with a bigger frame. Baze is a Top5 SG defensively and Prince is already solid. This will not be a Top10 defense but with Bud as the Coach they can be 14th-20th in defensive rating.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

To say KB is right about next year, is to say 99.9% of all Squawkers are right. This does not get turned around in one draft. By the 3rd or 4th season, I can see us pushing back in the playoffs.  Now KB will of course say I am wrong; but I am also optimistic about this and next seasons draft class. I am also optimistic about our long term cap space.

6 minutes ago, ISOJOE said:

I Don't agree. Dennis will be way better defensively because Doncic is the perfect secondary ballhandler to save some energy. Collins will come back more experienced and with a bigger frame. Baze is a Top5 SG defensively and Prince is already solid. This will not be a Top10 defense but with Bud as the Coach they can be 14th-20th in defensive rating.

That lineup will get owned on the glass. We will draft a center with one of our 1st round picks this year, I'd bet a 100 bucks on it right now.

• Like 1

I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs next season, likely not in 19-20 either to be honest. After that, considering that while the East is better it's not world's better, is it really unreasonable to think 20-21 or 21-22 can make the playoffs?

I of course, am not guaranteeing anything here. You could see anything that would prevent it, like lightning striking and every move made in the draft and FAgency/trades flopping for one reason or another, see a bad move made with picks/young players that fails, or again, have lightning strike and have your players get hurt. 

This was never going to be a one year thing. But nothing is ever guaranteed. This is Atlanta/Georgia sports, not San Antonio, it was more likely if the Hawks tried to stay with the integrity/hard work/refuse to lose mentality that no reward was coming for it instead of the supposed reward that KB thinks would come in the draft (a player that shouldn't fall in the draft, like Giannis/Kawhi), and thus, the Hawks would become bad anyway in the future (ASSUMING the harsh stat correction didn't come this year that I've seen all of the time in the world of sports), just delayed (which is also apparently better than just speeding up the inevitable). 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I don't see the Hawks making the playoffs next season, likely not in 19-20 either to be honest. After that, considering that while the East is better it's not world's better, is it really unreasonable to think 20-21 or 21-22 can make the playoffs?

I of course, am not guaranteeing anything here. You could see anything that would prevent it, like lightning striking and every move made in the draft and FAgency/trades flopping for one reason or another, see a bad move made with picks/young players that fails, or again, have lightning strike and have your players get hurt. 

This was never going to be a one year thing. But nothing is ever guaranteed. This is Atlanta/Georgia sports, not San Antonio, it was more likely if the Hawks tried to stay with the integrity/hard work/refuse to lose mentality that no reward was coming for it instead of the supposed reward that KB thinks would come in the draft (a player that shouldn't fall in the draft, like Giannis/Kawhi), and thus, the Hawks would become bad anyway in the future (ASSUMING the harsh stat correction didn't come this year that I've seen all of the time in the world of sports), just delayed (which is also apparently better than just speeding up the inevitable). 

Personally I don't think that this team is that far away from competing for the 8th seed in the east.. Heck the team has to try very hard to lose many of the games they lost this season by manipulating the roster and line ups.  There will be not incentive to tank next year anyway because of the new drafting rules...35 wins next year is the prediction with the possibility of more if we sign the right free agent or our draft picks exceed expectations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Personally I don't think that this team is that far away from competing for the 8th seed in the east.. Heck the team has to try very hard to lose many of the games they lost this season by manipulating the roster and line ups.  There will be not incentive to tank next year anyway because of the new drafting rules...35 wins next year is the prediction with the possibility of more if we sign the right free agent or our draft picks exceed expectations

I do not think adding a few of rookies to this team will bring much improvement. Next season, I see a lot of the same. 30 wins if we play our best lineups every night. 20 to 25 if we throw in the towel.

The 3rd year, barring a big draft bust, is when I expect to chase the 8th seed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I do not think adding a few rookies to this team will bring much improvement. Next season, I see a lot of the same. 30 wins if we play our best lineups every night. 20 to 25 if we throw in the towel.

Dennis(Sexton, Shai, or Young)

Baze/(Doncic)

Prince 

(Bagley) or Collins

Dedmon/(Ayton or Bamba)

My dream is LeBron goes to San Antonio, we move into the top 12 and take Sexton and LMA is traded to Atlanta. 

Dennis

Baze

Prince

LMA/Collins

Ayton

Edited by NBASupes

6 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I dunno. I do think if this was a completely "let things ride season" it would have been a 28 win season but I just don't know. 

More than half the roster will be players with 2 or fewer seasons of experience in the NBA. Probably close to 3/4ths of the roster will be that inexperienced.  Considering that Schlenk is not going to use cap space to help the team win games, the ‘19 team will be worse than the ‘18 team.  I projected 23 wins for this year’s team.  I felt the team had 17 win talent.  Next year, the Hawks will be closer to the 18 win level with 13-14 win talent.  

24 minutes ago, KB21 said:

More than half the roster will be players with 2 or fewer seasons of experience in the NBA. Probably close to 3/4ths of the roster will be that inexperienced.  Considering that Schlenk is not going to use cap space to help the team win games, the ‘19 team will be worse than the ‘18 team.  I projected 23 wins for this year’s team.  I felt the team had 17 win talent.  Next year, the Hawks will be closer to the 18 win level with 13-14 win talent.  

KInda like the early Woody years. I actually enjoyed watching the younguns grow. Taking Boston to 7 games was a blast..(If BK makes a couple of better picks(Cp3 over Marvin. Iggy over Chills..Brandon Roy over Shellhead), who knows what couldve been...Hell, Im actually excited about the draft for the 1st time in years.  Stop trying to steal my joy. lol...I feel ALOT better this time of the year, than I did previously, knowing we were a middle of the pack drafting in the 20's) team, with a bunch of old overpaid players,  whod get blasted in the Playoffs..So, yeah, Im ok with 23 -30 wins next year..Even though I can see us winning more than that....IF we try to..................Hell, wed have 30 wins this year If Bud/Schlenk wanted 30 wins..lol

Edited by buckyboy2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, buckyboy2 said:

Pretty sure we've won 21 games without even trying.lol

ding...I used to love joking that Bud was throwing games when he'd do hockey style lineups in game and sitting players after a half that started and once again, I can't stress this enough, everything outside of healthy scratches, if you think they're Schlenk's doing, while it's possible you're right, you have your tin foil hat on to an extreme.

I mean do I need to find and pull up the comparison? Do some of you even 25% pay attention to trends/games?

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Peoriabird said:

I agree..We are not that far off and wit a mid tier free agent like Tyreke Evans to go along with what we have and either Ayton, Bagley Doncic or Porter we will at least be an 8th seed..

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/31/2018 at 11:22 AM, Peoriabird said:

You keep doubting the East.   Understand.. the East is not as strong as the West but getting into the top 8 is no cake walk either. 

Right now, the Bucks are #8 with 42 wins.   It's possible that they end up with 44 wins.   Now if it takes more than 44 wins to get 8th place...  and we have 22 now... come on...

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You keep doubting the East.   Understand.. the East is not as strong as the West but getting into the top 8 is no cake walk either. 

Right now, the Bucks are #8 with 42 wins.   It's possible that they end up with 44 wins.   Now if it takes more than 44 wins to get 8th place...  and we have 22 now... come on...

I here you Diesel but we have to try awfully hard to lose games this year even with a team full of G-leaguers...If we draft Ayton and Simmons and retain everyone else I think we will compete for the playoffs.  I think that everyone's play will improve significantly next season.

• Like 1