• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How Will The Hawks Look Next Year?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hopefully they can trade a few 1st round picks + Baze to San Antonio, to acquire Kawhi Leonard.

Dennis - Kawhi - Taurean - free agent PF - Collins

Leonard is too much of a medical risk plus this is a young team not ready to compete.  Leonard might be 30 years old before we are ready.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hopefully they can trade a few 1st round picks + Baze to San Antonio, to acquire Kawhi Leonard.

Dennis - Kawhi - Taurean - free agent PF - Collins

By the way, Collins isn't a center and Leonard isn't a 2 guard

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Leonard is too much of a medical risk plus this is a young team not ready to compete.  Leonard might be 30 years old before we are ready.

It is a bit tough to see SA biting unless they love someone in the draft as well.  If they want to stay in contender status, they need Leonard to come back healthy.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

It is a bit tough to see SA biting unless they love someone in the draft as well.  If they want to stay in contender status, they need Leonard to come back healthy.

We just need to be patient and get the pieces in place over the next few years and then see what we have

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So Leonard can't play the 2?  Are guards too quick for Leonard to guard?

He can't guard anyone now while on the shelf with no time table to return...Doesn't that worry you at all?

Just now, Peoriabird said:

He can't guard anyone now while on the shelf with no time table to return...Doesn't that worry you at all?

Nope.  

Of course you don't trade for him, unless he gives himself the green light to play.  But if he does, that's a much higher probability path for the Hawks obtaining a superstar, than playing the lottery.  When healthy, a team has a top 3 defender in the league and one of the top 10 offensive threats in the NBA.   All of the prospects in this draft have NO SHOT in becoming great at both.

Betting on Kawhi is a far better bet, than betting on these kids.

• Moderators

He is 26.  I'd listen to my doctors on that.  If they think he is ruined then wouldn't consider.  If they think he will fully recover without significant risk of recurrence and I can get him at a discount given the injury and the friction with the Spurs then I'd pick up the phone.  He is one of a handful of MVP level talents in the league when he is healthy.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nope.  

Of course you don't trade for him, unless he gives himself the green light to play.  But if he does, that's a much higher probability path for the Hawks obtaining a superstar, than playing the lottery.  When healthy, a team has a top 3 defender in the league and one of the top 10 offensive threats in the NBA.   All of the prospects in this draft have NO SHOT in becoming great at both.

Betting on Kawhi is a far better bet, than betting on these kids.

We'll see, I just remember the board wanting to do something similar to this in the past...Trade Horford and a couple 1st round picks for Amare Stoudemire.  Thank god we didn't do that trade

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He is 26.  I'd listen to my doctors on that.  If they think he is ruined then wouldn't consider.  If they think he will fully recover without significant risk of recurrence and I can get him at a discount given the injury and the friction with the Spurs then I'd pick up the phone.  He is one of a handful of MVP level talents in the league when he is healthy.

The doctor have cleared him but he claims he still has pain and is unable to play..  I get wary of plays with injury histories that are chronic

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Define "discount".  Because nothing short of our top pick this year isn't bringing him here.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Define "discount".  Because nothing short of our top pick this year isn't bringing him here.

Discount to me includes us giving our top pick this year.  Discount is relative to the price he would have commanded last offseason.  His price should have dropped considerably from last year coming off of two top 3 MVP votes to this season hurt and seemingly somewhat disgruntled.  Last offseason would have taken a Billy King Nets type package, IMO.

• Like 1

I hope we come out with Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba in the draft. I’m not sold on Doncic. His supposed lack of lateral quickness makes me feel like he won’t be as effective in the NBA. Michael Porter doesn’t seem like a good enough finisher around the basket to become a balanced offensive threat. I doubt his athleticism and length around the basket. I feel like our starting line up won’t change regardless of who we draft. We will probably win about 30 games..35 if we’re really clicking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

I hope we come out with Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba in the draft. I’m not sold on Doncic. His supposed lack of lateral quickness makes me feel like he won’t be as effective in the NBA. Michael Porter doesn’t seem like a good enough finisher around the basket to become a balanced offensive threat. I doubt his athleticism and length around the basket. I feel like our starting line up won’t change regardless of who we draft. We will probably win about 30 games..35 if we’re really clicking.

I completely understand and agree with this take. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think most GMs willing to commit to the draft don't view it as destroying your franchise.  More a shortterm pain.  I am not confident this will eliminate tanking.

I was on the fence 2 years ago regarding tanking but bought in this year because the team was so painful to watch at times last year.  And with an escalating payroll to maintain mediocrity, there was no other choice.  And once we got close to the end of the season with a chance at a top 3 pick, tanking was certainly the logical choice especially in a draft like this one.  Next year I won't be on board with losing on purpose...If the team tries hard and still ends up with a high lottery pick which I doubt so be it.  No more calling up Half the G-league the night after a G-league playoff game to throw out line up of Dorsey-Cleveland-White-Evans and Cavanaugh.  I might join forces with KB21 next year if it happens again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Once is enough for me...I'm not that championship hungry...I thought it was the right thing to do because of our circumstance last year with older over priced players to start afresh.. I'm not going thru watching 7-8 g-leaguers perform on a nightly basis again this cycle.  I can only take so much

Well then, be prepared to do just that.  The roster next year may very well look something like this:

Mike Muscala, C/PF (5 years experience)

Miles Plumless, C (5 years experience)

Dennis Schröder, PG (5 years experience)

Kent Bazemore, SG/SF (6 years experience)

Taurean Prince, SF (2 years experience)

DeAndre Bembry, SG/SF (2 years experience)

John Collins, PF/C (1 year experience)

Tyler Dorsey, SG (1 year experience)

Tyler Cavanaugh, PF/C (1 year experience

Isaiah Taylor, PG (1 year experience)

Damion Lee, SG (less than 1 year experience)

Jaylen Morris, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Antonious Cleveland, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Andrew White, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Josh Maggette, PG (1 year experience)

Rookie

Rookie

Rookie

Rookie

I have very little doubt that no quality veterans will be added.  If anything, they will do what they did with Jamal Crawford and take on a bad contract for a draft pick.  However, I'm not convinced they will do that because their roster is extremely cost controlled for next year.  I also feel that Dennis may be traded this off season as well.

Next year's team is going to be worse than this year's.  It will be ugly and painful to watch, without much hope of it getting much better a year from now either.  This is the pathway you guys wanted though.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Well then, be prepared to do just that.  The roster next year may very well look something like this:

Mike Muscala, C/PF (5 years experience)

Miles Plumless, C (5 years experience)

Dennis Schröder, PG (5 years experience)

Kent Bazemore, SG/SF (6 years experience)

Taurean Prince, SF (2 years experience)

DeAndre Bembry, SG/SF (2 years experience)

John Collins, PF/C (1 year experience)

Tyler Dorsey, SG (1 year experience)

Tyler Cavanaugh, PF/C (1 year experience

Isaiah Taylor, PG (1 year experience)

Damion Lee, SG (less than 1 year experience)

Jaylen Morris, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Antonious Cleveland, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Andrew White, SF (less than 1 year experience)

Josh Maggette, PG (1 year experience)

Rookie

Rookie

Rookie

Rookie

I have very little doubt that no quality veterans will be added.  If anything, they will do what they did with Jamal Crawford and take on a bad contract for a draft pick.  However, I'm not convinced they will do that because their roster is extremely cost controlled for next year.  I also feel that Dennis may be traded this off season as well.

Next year's team is going to be worse than this year's.  It will be ugly and painful to watch, without much hope of it getting much better a year from now either.  This is the pathway you guys wanted though.

Its O.K. to have rookies on your team...If the Rookie is Ayton vs Cavanaugh, think there is a big difference in talent so i can watch Ayton out ther do his thing...Done with Cavanaugh and I doubt very seriously that he will be on the active roster next year...Same with 4 other guys you listed.  There is no reason for Maggette to be on this team...same with White and Morris

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its O.K. to have rookies on your team...If the Rookie is Ayton vs Cavanaugh, think there is a big difference in talent so i can watch Ayton out ther do his thing...Done with Cavanaugh and I doubt very seriously that he will be on the active roster next year...Same with 4 other guys you listed.  There is no reason for Maggette to be on this team...same with White and Morris

They may not be on the roster, but be prepared to see another G-League level player take their spot.  Even if you get Ayton, he's 3 years away from being able actually play winning basketball, and he will have no veteran to show him how defense is played in this league.  

Having 2/3rds of your team with 2 or fewer years of experience means you will not be winning many games.  Particularly when your best vets are Kent Bazemore and Mike Muscala.

Edited by KB21