• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member

Sounds like some of y'all would trade all of our vets for a 2nd round pick just to get a shot at your favorite player in this upcoming draft. Lurker would just cut Dennis. Now lurker admits she was wrong about Howard after he was given away last off season. How many Lurkers will we have on this message board next year after Baze, Schröder and Dedmon blow up on another team if they are given away like Howard?

• Like 1

Hawks have alot of parts but one core player Schröder and even he might not be in the Hawks long term plans.Players will always want to win ganes due to their competiveness however in this case management must decide what is best for the Hawks long term .Make no moves tgat make a difference or a small move that tells me alot about ownership.Of course having the most pong balls doesn't asure you of the no1 pick and you still have to pick the right player but it gives you more choices than picking 3rd,4th,5th.I'd behappy with any of the big 4 .I think Young could be a game changer.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like some of y'all would trade all of our vets for a 2nd round pick just to get a shot at your favorite player in this upcoming draft. Lurker would just cut Dennis. Now lurker admits she was wrong about Howard after he was given away last off season. How many Lurkers will we have on this message board next year after Baze, Schröder and Dedmon blow up on another team if they are given away like Howard?

You know we aren't trying to compete this  year and half of these guys are on expiring deals, right?  Belli, Ilya, Dedmon...they are all unrestricted free agents this offseason.  Schröder isn't and neither is Baze.  Baze is playing the best ball of his career right now so if you buy into this being the "real" Baze and not the guy we have seen the rest of his career then he may be worth that contract.  I'm skeptical he keeps up his recent shooting - 46.5% from the floor and .585% TS% in his last 15 games.  (Career:  42.3% FG%, 52.6% TS%).  He is also over 40% from 3pt range over the last two months to set a new career high so far this season.  

I'm firmly in the category of thinking he won't live up to his contract and is best fit as a high energy, positive attitude guy who is 6-8th in your rotation coming off the bench.   That has real value but should be more valuable to a team trying to win now than a team trying to lose now.

• Like 3

We'll see what happens during the next few days before the deadline, but if any of these vets aren't traded and we keep the status quo - I have a theory that maybe Travis is scared to get a top 3 pick. 

A lot of pressure to get the top picks right, especially for a 1st year GM. And right now I think you can say there are 3 or 4 guys who could realistically be that top pick. If you swing and miss and your guy is a bust or not as good as the guys taken immediately after, your job as GM is on the line. 

A lot less pressure picking 4-8 compared to 1-3. Especially when there isn't 1 or 2 stand out prospects. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

We'll see what happens during the next few days before the deadline, but if any of these vets aren't traded and we keep the status quo - I have a theory that maybe Travis is scared to get a top 3 pick. 

A lot of pressure to get the top picks right, especially for a 1st year GM. And right now I think you can say there are 3 or 4 guys who could realistically be that top pick. If you swing and miss and your guy is a bust or not as good as the guys taken immediately after, your job as GM is on the line. 

A lot less pressure picking 4-8 compared to 1-3. Especially when there isn't 1 or 2 stand out prospects. 

Maybe he does not get his underwear in a wad either. He comes from the Warriors where they picked Curry 7th, Klay Thompson 11th, and Draymond Green 35th.

He did say we would try and compete. That is what we are doing; even if it is at a lottery level lol.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Maybe he does not get his underwear in a wad either. He comes from the Warriors where they picked Curry 7th, Klay Thompson 11th, and Draymond Green 35th.

He did say we would try and compete. That is what we are doing; even if it is at a lottery level lol.

Picking Collins 19th was how he started .. I’m sure we’re getting a good pick wherever it falls ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, turnermx said:

Picking Collins 19th was how he started .. I’m sure we’re getting a good pick wherever it falls ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Billy Knight nailed his first pick (Boris Diaw at #23 - granted our coaches wasted him completely).  Definitely optimistic after that Collins pick but nobody hits 100%.  Too much luck involved.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Back to the original premise.   You have to look at windows and ability.

Who is the keepers on this team.  Who will be there when we win a ECF?  I don't think that Dennis is a guy that can help us get there.  He is who I said he was... A selfish Me first PG.   We got young guys that are in need of development.  Dennis won't develop them because he doesn't know how.

Secondly... I have pushed us getting Love.  He's on the bench for the rest of the season, we can get rid of Dennis and Baze for Love and Shump and Cleveland would feel helped out.   It would solidify our spot in the draft and give us hope for next year.   I like Dedmon, I would seek to get him back.   I think we need a dead eye shooter and I would see what's in FAcy.   Michael Porter could be our guy?  I would like to see what's the possibility of coming out of this draft with Porter and Sexton. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agree with the way you've framed this, D.  I would also like the idea of Dedmon long-term but we really don't have much control over that.  He is an UFA and we can either sign him or not this offseason.  

I'm not as high on Love as I used to be.  I see real value in him but don't really think he was one of the best 24 players this season (i.e., not All-Star worthy).  How good would he be for us?  Not sure.

If what you say was true they should sack him right now. It's easy to say we're rebuilding, and put out a subpar roster. But if we go this route we need to the most we can to ensure it's success. Which means losing as many games as possible in the short term to get as high a pick as possible. We we're once only one pick away from drafting Giannis, and we ended up with Bebe. Nothing is guaranteed, but I don't want to miss out on a superstar because our GM didn't want to make the hard decisions.

Mass hysteria for nothing.  

We still have the 2nd most ping pong balls.  And the GM will "deactivate" both Baze and Dennis with "injury", before being out of the top 3 is in jeopardy.  Once the All-Star break comes around, this team will have a couple of long losing streaks.  The worst record could very well have 23 wins, because a lot of those bottom playoff teams can and will lose to anybody.

Orlando up by 4 vs Miami, with 4 minutes to go in the 4th, as I type this.  ( lol . . they were up 14 just 4 minutes ago )

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2