• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
6 minutos atrás, hawkman disse:

That sounds good but I want the best chance at the #1 pick. No more barely missing out on talent that could've changed this franchise. All of the worst teams in this league are within 1 to 2 games of each other. That's way too close for comfort. Imagine if the Hawks end up out of the top 3, or even out of the top 5? That would be disastrous for this rebuild.

TlTrFsNv8PpdfIIGDSWv0AAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

83nFoEpMBAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAA==

48UXx2wNkMuA4fY+uv0AD4cY5rNbAlR8eE12PgLF

hcWFajsleowYwAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

wnLdqQVlKW67QAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Hawks don't want to pay top 3 money.  

Those picks tend to offer the biggest savings in the long run.  

I have to scratch my head at why anyone wouldn't want the choice of this year's draft class.  Seems elementary that our draft slot and player development of our one potential All-Star and couple role players are the only things that matter the rest of the season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, AHF said:

Those picks tend to offer the biggest savings in the long run.  

I have to scratch my head at why anyone wouldn't want the choice of this year's draft class.  Seems elementary that our draft slot and player development of our one potential All-Star and couple role players are the only things that matter the rest of the season.

Obviously this is a great draft, we need the best odds we can get at the #1 pick.  We need to have the worst record in the NBA.  Schlenk has rid the roster of big salaries.......almost.   Bud coaches lessor talented players better than most coaches.

Why would we NOT totally tank the team.    Ive been through this before, it rarely works out.   The deal to get Nique here was the best we've ever done.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, hawkman said:

What's this all about? My post was pretty benign. Is this a personal attack?

Not a personal attack...just tired of all of the whining around here every time the team wins a game.  I'm just ready for some real dialogue about the current team and how our assets will help it in the future regardless of our draft position.

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Not a personal attack...just tired of all of the whining around here every time the team wins a game.  I'm just ready for some real dialogue about the current team and how our assets will help it in the future regardless of our draft position.

So you go to THE TANK THREAD and take your feelings out on someone posting about the rebuilding process? Makes sense.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, hawkman said:

So you go to THE TANK THREAD and take your feelings out on someone posting about the rebuilding process? Makes sense.

No...I'm just tired of hearing the phrase "meaningless wins" as though we have a bunch of 35 year old Vets winning games who aren't apart of this team's future.  Each game does mean something and the evaluation of each player playing in those games are critical to put together a roster that can compete in the future.  Many that have posted in this thread have totally bought into the notion that we need to completely clean house and roll the dice with the lottery which I find short sighted.  We have many useful players on the current roster and to just give them away to finish with the worse record because some think there is a Lebron in this year's draft bothers me.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

No...I'm just tired of hearing the phrase "meaningless wins" as though we have a bunch of 35 year old Vets winning games who aren't apart of this team's future.  Each game does mean something and the evaluation of each player playing in those games are critical to put together a roster that can compete in the future.  Many that have posted in this thread have totally bought into the notion that we need to completely clean house and roll the dice with the lottery which I find short sighted.  We have many useful players on the current roster and to just give them away to finish with the worse record because some think there is a Lebron in this year's draft bothers me.

For me, Dorsey, Prince, Bembry, Dennis and Collins are the ones who are part of the team's future if they can develop and prove themselves.  Ilya, Delaney, Moose, and Plumlee are purely filling space.  Dedmon and Bazemore will be UFA before or the offseason after we have our first real shot to get competitive again so while I think they can be useful players at the time we reassert ourselves, I don't place a lot of value on their development.

20 minutes ago, Diesel said:

How many years should we tank??

If we lose Ersan and Dedmon, I don't think we have an option in the matter. I can see next year as being similar to when we were giving all our minutes to Marvin, Childress and Smith. Pre Horford.

After next season if things go well, we may be able to build up to a 8th seed or something. Also in 2020/21 or 21/22 with all our cap hits gone, we can make a serious move in free agency. That is what I am hoping for.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

How many years should we tank??

For me, this year and next year are primarily about talent development but bear in mind that the system is changing so it will make it more viable to have a shot at the top pick while finishing 6th or something.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If we lose Ersan and Dedmon, I don't think we have an option in the matter. I can see next year as being similar to when we were giving all our minutes to Marvin, Childress and Smith. Pre Horford.

After next season if things go well, we may be able to build up to a 8th seed or something. Also in 2020/21 or 21/22 with all our cap hits gone, we can make a serious move in free agency. That is what I am hoping for.

Exactly the same timeline I’ve discussed and see happing, this right here ^^^

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Guard said:

Despite the win last night, it continues to look like Schlenk hit on both picks in the last draft. Even if Dorsey ends up being nothing but a bench player, finding a NBA player in the second round is nothing to scoff at. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. 

What? Someone actually discussing the play on the court after a win?  How refreshing!

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

What? Someone actually discussing the play on the court after a win?  How refreshing!

I’m liking Dorsey more and more.  So yeah, I’ll say we did well with our draft position. I’m wondering though, was John Jenkins good enough to do what Dorsey is doing now?  

20 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I’m liking Dorsey more and more.  So yeah, I’ll say we did well with our draft position. I’m wondering though, was John Jenkins good enough to do what Dorsey is doing now?  

I see Dorsey as a the superior athlete even before Jenkins required back surgery.

The Hawks are still a couple coin flips out of the 2nd slot before the ping pong balls come into place so I'm not going to fret over a playoff desperate Detroit team and their shiny new $170 million acquisition pissing away a game.

• Like 2

Nice little nugget from an ESPN writer

The Hawks have won three of five -- and in doing so, they gave up pole position in the race for the No. 1 draft pick. This is shaping up to be the closest tank race in NBA history. A whopping seven teams are within a game of the worst record in the NBA. According to BPI, the Hawks now have the third-best odds of getting the top pick in the draft at 16 percent. -- Micah Adams

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I see Dorsey as a the superior athlete even before Jenkins required back surgery.

The Hawks are still a couple coin flips out of the 2nd slot before the ping pong balls come into place so I'm not going to fret over a playoff desperate Detroit team and their shiny new $170 million acquisition pissing away a game.

It isn't the one game.  It is the trend that should be making Schlenk lose sleep.

• Like 3