• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

32 minutes ago, davis171 said:

5 years is unrealistic how were the hawks winning a title in the next 5 years by keeping Sap around. Schlenk may or may not be a good GM you are judging him way to early 95% of the fan base agrees with the letting go of Sap instead of paying him 90 million and if you let him go you aren't a playoff team regardless so lose hard. 

Then 95% of the fan base has been brainwashed by those who glorify this strategy into thinking that this is the only way to build a championship team.

But hey, maybe next year the Hawks will be able to draft Zion Williamson, who has no basketball skills or a true position, but hey, he's a youtube star that can dunk.  They can team him with this year's youtube star Marvin Bagley and have a couple of youtube stars that can't play winning basketball.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So let's go worse case scenario with your plan...The Hawks are far more likely to sign a Paul Millsap free agent and if Paul Millsap is the best player on your team, you ain't winning a championship!

Considering that the Hawks were a championship contender with Paul as their best player (60 wins), this has already been proven wrong.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, KB21 said:

Considering that the Hawks were a championship contender with Paul as their best player (60 wins), this has already been proven wrong.

Championship contender??? Lol!!!! And by the way Horford was our best player and was a top 3 pick

• Like 2

Just now, KB21 said:

We have been over this if you think that hawks team had any chance at all against the Cavs you just don't know basketball. Cavs played without 2 all NBA level players and swept us lmao.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Then 95% of the fan base has been brainwashed by those who glorify this strategy into thinking that this is the only way to build a championship team.

But hey, maybe next year the Hawks will be able to draft Zion Williamson, who has no basketball skills or a true position, but hey, he's a youtube star that can dunk.  They can team him with this year's youtube star Marvin Bagley and have a couple of youtube stars that can't play winning basketball.

I don't think Zion will go that high with Reddish and Barrett at duke. Also how can you knock Schlenk's drafting when his 1 draft pick in the first round was a steal? (Collins who had a DBPM of 1.3)

Edited by davis171
  • Like 2

The Grizzlies are no doubt in a better place than the Hawks right now.  They are down due to injury.  They will add this pick to a healthy Mike Conley and Marc Gasol next year and will be better than the Hawks.

The hot start by the Grizzlies this season was good ole' "Fools Gold", injuries or no injuries. They will be the 2nd team in a short time period to completely prove my point that if teams don't plan for their core getting old and the like, that downward trends DO happen.

• Like 2

There isn’t anything good about the Grizzlies situation. Memphis has two terrible contracts (Conley and Parsons) wheighing down their cap down. Conley and Gasol are up there in age so a decline is coming sooner than later. Their roster outside of those two is G-league level. I don’t even think anyone could make an argument that their front office is a good one.

Roster degradation is real and the Grizzlies are the perfect example of why knowing when to rebuild is paramount.   

• Like 2

• Moderators

Since Grizzly is the flavor of the day, here's a well-penned Dear John letter from Valentine's Day.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2018/2/14/17009658/dear-john-hollinger-nba-memphis-grizzlies

When you walked in, I thought you were my knight in shining armor, here to whisk me away to my fantasy of NBA Championships, of a revived drafting process that would keep us young forever. I thought you would change things here...

But you didn’t change things.

You changed.

~lw3

5 hours ago, KB21 said:

Because I've been a Hawks fan since the mid 80s, and I have absolutely no interest in any other NBA team at all.  I've also been a member of this website since its inception, when sturt first started it, so you newbies aren't about to tell me anything on my fanhood.  

Um, Ive been a fan since the 70's. No newbie here. I only asked because ive yet to see one positive comment from ya. 

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

The Grizzlies are no doubt in a better place than the Hawks right now.  They are down due to injury.  They will add this pick to a healthy Mike Conley and Marc Gasol next year and will be better than the Hawks.

But will they win the championship? Isnt that what its all about with you? 

15 hours ago, KB21 said:

It's not a straw man argument.  This idea that you would rather see a young, hungry team is absolutely more about watching losing than winning.  That's what young and hungry gets you   

Would you rather eat turds covered with candy sprinkles or pizza sprinkled with sand?  

OH SO YOU PREFER EATING SAND TO CANDY SPRINKLES?!?

I won’t be surprised if this analogy is lost on you.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

And see, that's what people don't understand.  They're coming back next year with two borderline All-Star caliber players, plus a top 5 player in this year's draft.  IF they choose the right player that enhances the entire team, they could immediately jump to a playoff level squad in an instant.  And I think they have the bird rights to Tyreke Evans, who did play very well for them this season.

So this is the Grizzlies probable starting lineup next season

PG - Conley

G - Evans

F - Chandler Parsons . . ( or Doncic if they get a top 2 pick )

F - JaMychal Green  . . . ( or Bagley, if they get a top 2 pick )

C - Gasol

This is a setup similar to what happened in San Antonio.  Their "aging" stars could play, but they couldn't get past Utah.

PG - Avery Johnson ( 31 )

G - Vinny Del Negro ( 30 )

F - Sean Elliott ( 28 ) . . . injured 1/2 of the year

PF - Carl Hererra ( 30 )

C - David Robinson ( 31 ) . . . injured most of the year

6th man - Dominique Wilkins ( 37 )

Robinson and Elliott, the two stars of the team go down, and they were able to add the #1 pick, and future Hall of Famer ( Tim Duncan ) to the squad.

All of a sudden, you have the best frontline in the league, with two of the best defensive big men to play the game.  They still couldn't beat Utah in year 1.  But they ran through everyone in Year 2, and won a title.   LOL . . then they had to wait until Shaq and Kobe fell out, to win another one.

That's the type of luck you really need, when you talk about winning championships.

So tankers, what would be a better path to seeing the Hawks get back to prominence?   Bottoming the team out, and hoping we add a draft pick to this lineup next season?

PG - Schröder

G - Bazemore

F - Prince . . ( or Doncic, if we get a top 3 pick )

PF - Collins

C - Dedmon . . ( or Bagley/Ayton, if we get a top 3 pick )

6th man - Dorsey?

or this lineup . . .

PG - Schröder

G - Bazemore

F - Prince . . ( or Doncic, if we get a top 3 pick  )

PF - Millsap

C - Howard . . ( or Bagley/Ayton, if we get a top 3 pick )

6th man - Collins

It's OK to tell the truth on this.

That's what it's about with the tank crew too.   Memphis' lineup, if they add the right young piece to their current group, will be closer to winning a championship in 1 - 3 years, than the Hawks will be in 5 - 7 years.

Because if push came to shove, they can opt to trade either Conley or Gasol for younger, better fitting talent that didn't fit anywhere else.  That's how the trade game is played.  You mix and match players, until you find the correct fit.  Once you do, you roll with that.   This is exactly what the Houston Rockets have done.

What the tank crew doesn't want to admit, is that 4 years from now, we'll be celebrating this team winning 43 games . . . the same total we won last year . . because it will seem like progress . . . instead of us just getting back to where we were.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, KB21 said:

There are?  Because I just took a look at every top 5 draft pick over the past 12 drafts (60 total draft picks), and only 2 of those draft picks (Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson) have won a championship with the team that drafted him.  Those two also only won because LeBron James is from that area and wanted to go back home.

Winning2.png

The best strategy to become great is to already be good, and the data backs this up.  

The data you used there was from a 2012 article saying teams near the bottom of the league didn't have much chance to win.  Two of those bottom of the league teams when that article was released?  Golden State and Cleveland.  Your last 3 champsions.

That article was an epic fail.

• Like 2