• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all are making this last 15 games even more painful!  Definitely didn't think it was possible but next year will be sweet when Bud is still here and The Hawks are competing for a playoff spot in the East with young players not 30 plus year olds on the down side of their careers and over paid.  The pace will be fast tempo and exciting vs throw it in to Howard or Millsap for a turnover and a complaint to the refs.  Even the tank Haters are going to enjoy Ayton, Doncic or Porter dominating.  Can't wait!!!!!!!

I don't think we'll be competing for the playoffs next year but I hope I'm wrong and you are right. We need this pick to work.

49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's straight up BS. 

They were built to win and they did.  Ferry knew how to put pieces together based on the Spurs system.   While Bud was a part of Spurs System, he didn't know how to put the pieces together.   Neither of them could draft for sh!t.   The other part of bad GMing is that we wasted draft picks. 

Bebe, Payne, Edy... I mean, you can go down the list and see how we take bad picks or just waste picks altogether and Our Loyalty to the spurs Sucked too.  

We took on Splitter's bad contract. 

We did another spurs forward thing that I don't recall right now.. I think we took one of their bad contracts or something. 

But Bad GMing before and after the fact.  We were supposed to start clearing room while we were winning.  We did the same thing with Dennis and Teague and Horford. 

They did have a really nice pick in Kelly Oubre Jr and traded him on draft night because "he wasn't immediately ready" for THJ and what did that net us now? Shlenk had no choice but to blow it up Sap THJ, and Dwight are not assets on their current contracts bottom line. Ferry 100% knows about bird rights why would he have not given them contracts that are 3+ years if they were supposed to be around in the future you think Ferry is an idiot?

Edited by davis171

7 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Naw, you're fixated on different parts and failing to make a whole.  Even if I were to subscribe to the idea "young guys have to learn from old guys" you still don't do that at the cost of limiting your team's potential to improve especially when your backup plan is to hope a guy that's mocked to go higher falls to you.  And then what's the plan after that?  Play him behind Baze so he can allegedly develop more?

So Millsap and Howard are scrubs now?  You think that Collins, right now, are better than those two guys?  Both of those guys could play for another 3 years, easily, and be productive players.

It's hilarious how the narrative on a guy like Millsap has changed dramatically, once he's gone from the team.  A guy that people talked about getting a max deal last summer, would now be on a 30 win Hawks team ( if he were healthy ).

People are talking about how it limits your ability to improve the team, knowing good and well that young teams in this league rarely win.  Even the T-Wolves had to scrap the "youth movement", and had to bring in Butler, Teague, and everybody's favorite gunner Jamal Crawford, in order to get over the hump.  Why?  Because young teams, most of the time, don't improve, even if they have a star talent on the squad.  

Had they continued to covet their cap space and continue to add young pieces, they'd still be on the outside looking in.   And after 13 years of nothing, T-Wolves fans are giddy about the position they're in right now . . . and they're still a potential 4 game losing streak away from missing the playoffs.

People hate mediocrity . . . but consistent losing makes you wish you were mediocre, just to have a little something to cheer about.

8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So Millsap and Howard are scrubs now?  You think that Collins, right now, are better than those two guys?  Both of those guys could play for another 3 years, easily, and be productive players.

It's hilarious how the narrative on a guy like Millsap has changed dramatically, once he's gone from the team.  A guy that people talked about getting a max deal last summer, would now be on a 30 win Hawks team ( if he were healthy ).

People are talking about how it limits your ability to improve the team, knowing good and well that young teams in this league rarely win.  Even the T-Wolves had to scrap the "youth movement", and had to bring in Butler, Teague, and everybody's favorite gunner Jamal Crawford, in order to get over the hump.  Why?  Because young teams, most of the time, don't improve, even if they have a star talent on the squad.  

Had they continued to covet their cap space and continue to add young pieces, they'd still be on the outside looking in.   And after 13 years of nothing, T-Wolves fans are giddy about the position they're in right now . . . and they're still a potential 4 game losing streak away from missing the playoffs.

People hate mediocrity . . . but consistent losing makes you wish you were mediocre, just to have a little something to cheer about.

I'm sorry nothing you say will make me think giving over half our cap to Sap and Dwight makes since 0.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And they'll have to add a few vets . . or that superstar player . . in order to be relevant again.   Maybe they can flip Brook Lopez for Boogie Cousins . . .

Wait a minute.  I thought all it took to get a star was to draft high in the draft.  You mean to tell me that none of those #2 overall picks have become this generational star?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

They aren't difference makers, it showed with the Hawks and it's showing with their current teams, that's not somehow magically improving over the next few years, in fact the expectation is quite the opposite.  They are complimentary players at this stage of their careers yet your plan is to pay and play them as if they are feature stars.

The Timberwolves added an All Star All NBA player in his prime, a far cry from retaining two former All Stars that are 5 years older.  They used their accumulated lottery assets to acquire said star.  They are giddy because they have said star leading them to the playoffs and there will be continuity because of his age and the fact that he's flanked by a star that they drafted and another that they traded for whom they hope has star potential.

That's a far cry from the Hawks whom you want to pass off a second hand team as a worthwhile investment.  A 4 game losing streak might knock the Wolves out of the playoffs?  Well just winning 5 more games will have them surpassing the Hawks' win total in 3 out of the last 5 years.  What does that tell you about each team's respective positions going forward?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Minnesota can go 5-9 in their next 14 and still be better than we were last year when Sap was healthy.

Minnesota is +8.3 with Jimmy Butler on the floor and -6 with him off the floor.  So, tell me how those lottery picks have elevated Minnesota when there is such a drastic difference in their play when Butler is on the floor vs when he is off the floor.

The best way to build a team isn't tanking, but it is building up tradeable assets and making smart moves with them, and the best kind of team to me, based on what I saw from the Falcons recently, is a mixture of veterans and young players.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Actually, the reason he is there is because he played for Thibodeux in Chicago.

Nope.  He didn't have the ability to block a trade and Chicago wanted assets.  Their draft picks got him.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KB21 said:

They have killed any chance they have at a ring by tanking.

0 rings since 1968. 0 championship appearances. I'd say we have been on that road for a long time. 

I do give you credit for sticking to your guns and somehow seeing into the future. Even if no one knows what will happen. I'm sure Warriors fan said the same thing. Or Cavs fans...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davis171 said:

They did have a really nice pick in Kelly Oubre Jr and traded him on draft night because "he wasn't immediately ready" for THJ and what did that net us now? Shlenk had no choice but to blow it up Sap THJ, and Dwight are not assets on their current contracts bottom line. Ferry 100% knows about bird rights why would he have not given them contracts that are 3+ years if they were supposed to be around in the future you think Ferry is an idiot?

Ferry offered them longer contracts, but they weren't interested.  How is Ferry accountable for that?

• Like 2