• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

12 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Actually that's a real common thing and part of why the Hawks were able to to reel off 19 in a row during the 2014/15 season.  Usually happens some time after the first month of the season. The older teams in the league have let down games, especially on the back side of back to backs or 3 games in 4 days kinds of things.

https://www.docsports.com/2013/nba-handicapping-back-to-back-ats-records-579.html

Although the article doesn't mention age as a factor, this one mentions it.  https://www.thoughtco.com/back-to-back-325731  

Not only is this true with back to backs but also counts in the months of January up until the all star break and the month of April.  Historically, older teams play out of their minds to start the season through November, comeback to earth in January some, then put other teams away in late Feb/March.

So, essentially the Hawks will be in good shape to win 2-3 games more than expected due to this “back to back” phenomenon with older teams over approximately a 6 week period. 

29 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, essentially the Hawks will be in good shape to win 2-3 games more than expected due to this “back to back” phenomenon with older teams over approximately a 6 week period. 

Again, it isn't just back to back, just season fatigue.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Better coach and better fit as far as teammates. This team was built (poorly) around a creator like LeBron. Love was also in his prime. I think this team wins 35 at best.

35 wins will likely convey that pick to us.

• Like 2

Former GM, David Griffin, brought up a fantastic point which alluded to something we've discussed in this and, exhaustively, other threads.

An added bonus with the emoLove deal is the fact that they've set their team up such that their draft pick (Sexton) will be able to show the degree to which he can contribute to winning prior to the point where they have to pay him max dollars.

By comparison, ORL had to (over)pay Gordon before he ever had to show that he can win a game.  That's ... not ideal.

Hopefully, in keeping Dedm, Baze and others, we'll be doing some of the same that CLE's doing.  Despite vocal, incessant commentary to the contrary, I don't expect us to participate in actual in-game tanking with guys developing poor habits.  Acquiring Len seems in line with that approach.  We could've easily just plugged in some totally inexperienced guy.  I'm expecting Huerter and Spellman to spend a lot of time in the GL.  We kinda have to work Young into the rotation.

Anyways, I'm Bart Scott right now (cain't wait).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I'm expecting Huerter and Spellman to spend a lot of time in the GL.  We kinda have to work Young into the rotation.

Couldn't agree with you more despite @KB21 insistence that these guys will receive almost 30 minutes per game each. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Couldn't agree with you more despite @KB21 insistence that these guys will receive almost 30 minutes per game each. 

Yep.  That's what I said, except that it isn't:

KB21 replied to Peoriabird's topic in Homecourt

Young at least 30-32 mpg. Huerter and Spellman will be in the 18-22 mpg range, if not more. By the end of the season, all three will be getting 30 plus minutes per game, and it won't be because they have earned it.

• 3 weeks later...

https://nesn.com/2018/08/2017-nba-re-draft-how-would-loaded-class-shake-out-one-year-later/ 

Another look at why tanking to draft 1st is a crap shoot (or why the media screaming Doncic is premature).  Redrafting last year's class based on rookie performance. Reasons listed in article.

1. Philadelphia 76ers: Jayson Tatum, SF (Markelle Fultz, PG)

2. Los Angeles Lakers: Donovan Mitchell, SG (Lonzo Ball, PG)

3. Boston Celtics: Josh Jackson, SF (Jayson Tatum, SF)

4. Phoenix Suns: Markelle Fultz, PG (Josh Jackson, SF)

5. Sacramento Kings: Lonzo Ball, PG (De’Aaron Fox, PG)

6. Orlando Magic: Dennis Smith Jr., PG (Jonathan Isaac, PF)

7. Chicago Bulls (via Minnesota): Lauri Markkanen, PF (Lauri Markkanen, PF)

8. New York Knicks: Kyle Kuzma, SG (Frank Ntilikina, PG)

9. Dallas Mavericks: De’Aaron Fox, PG (Dennis Smith Jr., PG)

10. Portland Trail Blazers (via Sacramento): OG Anunoby, SF/PF (Zach Collins, PF)

11. Charlotte Hornets: Frank Ntilikina, PG (Malik Monk, SG)

12. Detroit Pistons: Malik Monk, SG (Luke Kennard, SG)

13. Utah Jazz (via Denver): John Collins, PF (Donovan Mitchell, SG)

14. Miami Heat: Jonathan Isaac, PF (Bam Adebayo, C)

15. Sacramento Kings (via Portland): Harry Giles, PF (Justin Jackson, SF)

16. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Chicago): Bam Adebayo, C (Justin Patton, C)

17. Milwaukee Bucks: Luke Kennard, SG (D.J. Wilson, PF)

18. Indiana Pacers: Jarrett Allen, PF (T.J. Leaf, PF)

19. Atlanta Hawks: Jordan Bell, PF (John Collins, PF)

20. Sacramento Kings (via Portland): Josh Hart, SG (Harry Giles, PF)

21. Oklahoma City Thunder: Zach Collins, C (Terrance Ferguson, SF)

22. Brooklyn Nets: Derrick White, PG (Jarrett Allen, PF)

23. Toronto Raptors: Terrance Ferguson, SF (OG Anunoby, SF)

24. Denver Nuggets (via Utah): Sterling Brown, SG (Tyler Lydon, PF)

25. Orlando Magic: Justin Jackson, SF (Anzejs Pasecniks, C)

26. Portland Trail Blazers: Justin Patton, C (Caleb Swanigan, PF)

27. Los Angeles Lakers (via Brooklyn): Dillon Brooks, PG (Kyle Kuzma, SG)

28. Utah Jazz (via LAL): Tony Bradley, C (Tony Bradley, C)

29. San Antonio Spurs: Semi Ojeleye, SF (Derrick White, PG)

30. Los Angeles Lakers (via Utah): TJ Leaf, PF (Josh Hart, SG) 

I hate to agree with the tankers but after looking at the season schedule I can only see 33 wins at best and that's pushing it. I hate to say it but Mr. 28 wins might be right. On the very bright side we can get my 39 wins but even I'll admit right now that's pushing it.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, sillent said:

Let me know when you actually watch a game. When I say watch I mean with your eye's open because if you can't see that although young we have alot of valuable assets than you might can't see. Regardless Time will tell you what some of us have been trying to. I think deep down you secretly know but enjoy the attention of being the bad guy. Maybe you believe you can reverse jinx by having as much doubt as possible. Hopefully not but maybe our GM is that much under your skin for some reason. I'm sure it's because you don't like his face in my "Step Brothers" voice. Maybe you can't except the fact that Bud is gone and Schlenk is the automatic bad guy because of it. I don't know what it is but there is some kind of psychology to your madness. Seriously you have to be highly upset about something to be this bias or negative about what is happening with our team. Either that or you get a kick out of being wrong.

He tanked the team out.  That should be enough for anyone to dislike him and the direction of the team.  He adopted the one team building strategy that is unforgivable in my eyes.

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He tanked the team out.  That should be enough for anyone to dislike him and the direction of the team.  He adopted the one team building strategy that is unforgivable in my eyes.

The team did tank for a year but it was more due to early injuries and Bud's preferable players. The team built this year, although young is very talented and competitive but the games this season will speak louder than my words.

If you mean the Warriors as the one team building strategy how is that a bad or unforgiving move. He built something from a team that not only he was familiar with but are actual champions which every team should strive for. Not only did he mimick a championship model but he added and kept pieces that they don't/didn't have like Collins and Dorsey as well as Prince and Bembry.

Truly ask yourself should you really be mad at someone that is atleast trying to build us in the mold of champions? He not only followed the blue print but he did it in one draft and truly is one upping by having a younger, deeper core surrounded by formidable vets. Warriors didn't look this equipped not even in there 1st championship run. True it will take time/chemistry to be as good or better than the Warriors but we have a head start in that our rookies this year could sniff championship contention at the early age of 24 and that even goes for players like JC/Dorsey. Prince, Bembry, Anderson, Len will just be tapping into their primes. Most of the current dominant teams will be of old age (for basketball years) Warriors/Houston around that time span. Besides the Celtics and 76ers alot of other young talented teams still need more key pieces and will still need time to build chemistry once they get those pieces (Timberwolves, Kings, Bulls, Magic, Pelicans, Knicks, Mavericks, Suns, Grizzlies). Spurs, Pacers, Pistons, Toronto, Milwaukee, Nuggets, Clippers, Blazers will probably look like a more middle of the pack team than title contenders. 

Nothing last forever (hence the revamp) but we are in great position to be a dominate team in the league for a long time. We the fans are in great position to have front row seats to see this greatness in the making.

I guess we'll see how this season plays out and how you feel @KB21 after this season. I'm almost sure sentiments will change. 

3 minutes ago, sillent said:

The team did tank for a year but it was more due to early injuries and Bud's preferable players. The team built this year, although young is very talented and competitive but the games this season will speak louder than my words.

If you mean the Warriors as the one team building strategy how is that a bad or unforgiving move. He built something from a team that not only he was familiar with but are actual champions which every team should strive for. Not only did he mimick a championship model but he added and kept pieces that they don't/didn't have like Collins and Dorsey as well as Prince and Bembry.

Truly ask yourself should you really be mad at someone that is atleast trying to build us in the mold of champions? He not only followed the blue print but he did it in one draft and truly is one upping by having a younger, deeper core surrounded by formidable vets. Warriors didn't look this equipped not even in there 1st championship run. True it will take time/chemistry to be as good or better than the Warriors but we have a head start in that our rookies this year could sniff championship contention at the early age of 24 and that even goes for players like JC/Dorsey. Prince, Bembry, Anderson, Len will just be tapping into their primes. Most of the current dominant teams will be of old age (for basketball years) Warriors/Houston around that time span. Besides the Celtics and 76ers alot of other young talented teams still need more key pieces and will still need time to build chemistry once they get those pieces (Timberwolves, Kings, Bulls, Magic, Pelicans, Knicks, Mavericks, Suns, Grizzlies). Spurs, Pacers, Pistons, Toronto, Milwaukee, Nuggets, Clippers, Blazers will probably look like a more middle of the pack team than title contenders. 

Nothing last forever (hence the revamp) but we are in great position to be a dominate team in the league for a long time. We the fans are in great position to have front row seats to see this greatness in the making.

I guess we'll see how this season plays out and how you feel @KB21 after this season. I'm almost sure sentiments will change. 

This is not a Warriors style rebuild.  The Warriors never bottomed their team out to get a high draft pick.  Travis Schlenk is doing the Philly tank job, which is why the team is intentionally worse this year than last year.  It's a guaranteed 5 plus years of misery.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

This is not a Warriors style rebuild.  The Warriors never bottomed their team out to get a high draft pick.  Travis Schlenk is doing the Philly tank job, which is why the team is intentionally worse this year than last year.  It's a guaranteed 5 plus years of misery.

If he was/is copying Philly I would boo himself. This ain't Philly.