• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

We can make trades for role players and sign a key free agent after we have drafted our core stars too.  That is a very realistic bar to clear - most teams in the NBA can sign someone like Iggy when he was at the stage of his career when GS got him. It is getting Durant that is nearly impossible for most franchises like the Hawks.

The thing is...It's rare to draft that Steph Curry like superstar.  Many Teams go into the draft looking for that superstar and never find him. I say it's a bigger crap shoot trying to tank to get that player (and wreck your team in the process) than it is to build through trades and good cap management.  Along with having a strong scouting group and finding good players in the mid and late rounds. 

On 11/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, MaceCase said:

Awe gee, all the good feels of starting on a playoff team as a rookie have already worn off 17 games into a losing season?  Man, further reason to wonder just how meaningful treadmilling is to players...fans...owners...GMs...

I guess "I'm tired of losing games" means something different to you,

25 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The thing is...It's rare to draft that Steph Curry like superstar.  Many Teams go into the draft looking for that superstar and never find him. I say it's a bigger crap shoot trying to tank to get that player (and wreck your team in the process) than it is to build through trades and good cap management.  Along with having a strong scouting group and finding good players in the mid and late rounds. 

Knowing us, we'll probably waste another lottery pick on the next Lonzo Ball.  What an incredible waste of a #2 draft pick.  Marvin II.

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Steph Curry wasn't a born superstar, he was a made one. He landed in the perfect spot, with the perfect situation and then the perfect system. Steph had a lot of growth he needed out of college to become what he is today. Born superstars NBA wise are guys who would become superstars no matter the team. A prime example is Anthony Davis or LeBron James. 

I think just from the games I've seen. This is an excellent situation for an extremely talented rookie. We got a system in place, offensive movement, great coaching, great development, we just lack more talent than everyone else by a mile but we got role players from top to bottom. This isn't Phx, Sac, or LAL where there is no legit system, ish just kinda happens. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Watchman said:

I guess "I'm tired of losing games" means something different to you,

I guess "I'm tired of losing games" means "I demand an immediate trade to a winning team because tanking sucks" to you? 

Oh wait, of coooooourse it does. 

Any time a player shows any amount of frustration the selective bias committee will come swooping in directly attributing it to tanking.  Just last week you supported a post that said "...Dennis looks like shit on the court because he has no vet to reign him in.."

.....Dennis is in the midst of a career season. 

I think the more logical interpretation is that Prince was a little emotional playing in front of his family and friends and wanted to do well but what do I know, the 17 games years of losing would wear thin on anyone.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Steph Curry wasn't a born superstar, he was a made one. He landed in the perfect spot, with the perfect situation and then the perfect system. Steph had a lot of growth he needed out of college to become what he is today. Born superstars NBA wise are guys who would become superstars no matter the team. A prime example is Anthony Davis or LeBron James. 

I think just from the games I've seen. This is an excellent situation for an extremely talented rookie. We got a system in place, offensive movement, great coaching, great development, we just lack more talent than everyone else by a mile but we got role players from top to bottom. This isn't Phx, Sac, or LAL where there is no legit system, ish just kinda happens. 

I wouldn't write Steph off so easily.  He dominated the NCAA at Davidson College.   I agree that he landed in a perfect spot but the work ethic and the shooting was there.  It lends itself to an interesting question about the sons of former players. 

• Premium Member
On 11/21/2017 at 2:31 PM, Diesel said:

so you think Losing is going to help this or hurt this??

You obviously forgot the last time we decided to lose on purpose.   We became nothing.  We just got over being nothing with the 60 win season and now you because we didn't win it all, you say.. let's go back in the tank and try our luck again.   We don't even have a target that we're tanking for.. just want to have a draft lottery party.   It's sad.  You say that Hawks lose what we never had.. what we had was closeness. 

Let me script it out for you...

• Bud is a lame duck now.. probably fired mid season. 
  • we'll bring in some other coach that's high profile like Mark Jackson and sign him to a long deal. 
  • We'll take the doc rivers train back to obscurity over the next 5 years...  probably bring in lottery pick after lottery pick.
  • Pretty soon, Schlenk will get the axe because:
    • He can't find talent in the top picks.
    • His trades are underwhelming.
    • His free agent acquistions are poor.
  • If we do keep a young fella, we will overpay him or he will be tied to Mark Jackson at the hip. 
  • Next 10 years waiting to get back in the playoffs. 

Why watch if you think it will take a decade?

17 hours ago, MaceCase said:

I guess "I'm tired of losing games" means "I demand an immediate trade to a winning team because tanking sucks" to you? 

Oh wait, of coooooourse it does. 

Any time a player shows any amount of frustration the selective bias committee will come swooping in directly attributing it to tanking.  Just last week you supported a post that said "...Dennis looks like shit on the court because he has no vet to reign him in.."

.....Dennis is in the midst of a career season. 

I think the more logical interpretation is that Prince was a little emotional playing in front of his family and friends and wanted to do well but what do I know, the 17 games years of losing would wear thin on anyone.

Could you point me to the post I "supported" just last week?  I don't recall seeing such a post recently, much less "supporting" such a post.  Have you confused me with someone else?  

29 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Could you point me to the post I "supported" just last week?  I don't recall seeing such a post recently, much less "supporting" such a post.  Have you confused me with someone else?  

Oh look, a KB21 post that Watchman liked.  Or maybe I have you confused with some other Watchman or perhaps you were hacked...or finger slipped...or were drunk...or just supported his message seeing as you are parroting it just a week later.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'm seeing a lot of "Just because everyone else that took this strategy failed doesn't mean we will fail" phrases to support the atrocity that Travis Schlenk has turned this franchise into.

Golden State took this path.  There are more people who failed but a lot of champions took the path of losing 20 some games repeatedly and then taking years to build around the core of talent they drafted in the lottery during those 20 or so win seasons.  Nobody win rings churning a core like we had last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

Oh look, a KB21 post that Watchman liked.  Or maybe I have you confused with some other Watchman or perhaps you were hacked...or finger slipped...or were drunk...or just supported his message seeing as you are parroting it just a week later.

Oh.  Almost 2 weeks ago. I can barely remember what I had for lunch the day before. 

Is that  by chance the time period when Schröder had several bad games in a row?  BTW, as an aside, I've never been drunk and have no desire to be drunk.

Anyway, why don't you put me on "ignore" status?  You really respond in a hostile manner to a lot of my posts.  Just ignore my posts and chill out, man.  

Edited by Watchman

2 hours ago, Watchman said:

Oh.  Almost 2 weeks ago. I can barely remember what I had for lunch the day before. 

Is that  by chance the time period when Schröder had several bad games in a row?  BTW, as an aside, I've never been drunk and have no desire to be drunk.

Anyway, why don't you put me on "ignore" status?  You really respond in a hostile manner to a lot of my posts.  Just ignore my posts and chill out, man.  

Oh please.  Don’t be that guy that quotes other people attempting to be snarky only to go all “hey chill out, man” when they respond in kind.  You engaged me, questioned my truthfulness, and are now trying to tap dance out of the point when I provided the evidence. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Golden State took this path.  There are more people who failed but a lot of champions took the path of losing 20 some games repeatedly and then taking years to build around the core of talent they drafted in the lottery during those 20 or so win seasons.  Nobody win rings churning a core like we had last year.

So, we are still trying to push this line that Golden State intentionally built a roster to lose games?

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, we are still trying to push this line that Golden State intentionally built a roster to lose games?

If you think they systemically got rid of their playoff core by accident and ditched vets that didn't fit their longterm plan by happenstance and that they really tried their best to make the playoffs every year, I won't disabuse you of that dream.

• Like 3

So with Tim Jr. coming into town and squaring off against us hopefully we'll have an interesting distraction from this redundant snarky ass thread. A Hawk's basketball game amongst a ton of college basketball and football today. Oh yeah, other NBA games too. Plenty to view on this day off. My sympathies to those who aren't off today. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AHF said:

If you think they systemically got rid of their playoff core by accident and ditched vets that didn't fit their longterm plan by happenstance and that they really tried their best to make the playoffs every year, I won't disabuse you of that dream.

Playoff team?  They had been to the playoffs 1 time in about 15 years prior to drafting Curry.  That wasn't a playoff team core.  That was a team that had been on the lottery treadmill for years before finally getting lucky.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Oh please.  Don’t be that guy that quotes other people attempting to be snarky only to go all “hey chill out, man” when they respond in kind.  You engaged me, questioned my truthfulness, and are now trying to tap dance out of the point when I provided the evidence. 

If KB's post had only been about Schröder's streak of bad games you might have a point.  However the post was about more than that, and the overriding theme was discussing a losing team culture.  I didn't question your truthfulness, I questioned your memory, because obviously the Schröder comment didn't even register with me, as it was not the main focus of his post.  I "engaged" you, after you launched a bitter, sarcastic and insulting reply to a post that was not directed to you at all.  However, problem solved for the future.  Ignore button engaged. You are an angry egomaniac, and I don't have to put up with your personal insults.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1